Computer Music #304 February 2022 - Free Synths: u-he Zebra CM, Fathom CM2

abacab

On 1/28/2022 at 6:18 PM, kevin H said:

....that pinned message bugs me.  Makes it seem like we’ve been trading warez.  If it said please don’t share magazine codes it’s one thing.

I agree that I get a twinge every time I see it, but if I'm honest that's because I've taken advantage of Beat magazine's freebies without buying the issues. Not from hints in the forum, but via hacking the clues via context. In this case, I did buy the issue because while I was horking the freebies, I noticed that the issue was devoted to a favorite topic of mine, actually finishing things. It was worth dropping some coin to get some hints about that.

The topic title should more accurately read "No software piracy please." I give the @Wookiee a break, he's got a tough, mostly thankless task in moderating the forum. He saw a bud forming and nipped it. Also letting any involved companies who might get alerted to the goings-on that BandLab have taken steps to discourage it. Cakewalk is already virtually invisible to these magazines, so they don't need to make it worse (not that it could be any worse in that regard).

We were kinda being bad boys, IMO. Beat and CM and the software companies that offer up these premiums have been important to my development as a mix engineer. Magazines have a hard row to hoe these days, and Beat just took the step of expanding into the English language market. It's hard to hang on to my ethics when A|A|S soundpacks are dangled, though. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2