Computer Music #305 March 2022 - Free Synth: u-he Bazille CM

abacab

I subscribed to Computer Music this year and found Bazille CM in my March 2022 issue.

https://pocketmags.com/computer-music-magazine

Thorn CM not listed in mag, but available in File Silo for CM #305 (also in #304). Edit: Thorn CM download is currently Mac only. Suppose that's an error because there is only one download link button.

No code sharing, please! You already knew that, right? 😉

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, abacab said:

I subscribed to Computer Music this year and found Bazille CM in my March 2022 issue.

https://pocketmags.com/computer-music-magazine

Thorn CM not listed in mag, but available in File Silo for CM #305 (also in #304). Edit: Thorn CM download is currently Mac only. Suppose that's an error because there is only one download link button.

Thorn CM is still available in the CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments though. It is just not a separate download for PC.

5 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Thorn CM is still available in the CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments though. It is just not a separate download for PC.

Yes, you are correct. I unzipped it to discover that it's a Mac only version. No Windows installer. I have reported that as a problem.

All the other zip files I have downloaded from FileSilo contain both platforms.

10 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

When I realised that the Thorn CM was a Mac only version I wondered if originally it had only been released for Windows - I have the that version from when it was initially released. I thought it odd that there was no mention of an update. 

From the Thorn CM 1.0.x User Manual PDF (provided in this zip file):

• System requirements
    In order to use Thorn you need a system with at least the following specifications:
    • Modern powerful processor with SSE3 support
    Windows Vista (or higher) or Mac OS X 10.9.X (or later)
    • VST 2.4 or VST 3.X or AAX or AU compatible host software

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

I thought it odd that there was no mention of an update. 

I don't think it was an update, probably just a re-release for new subscribers to CM. I don't have the original CM version, but I do have Thorn Beat 1.0.x (2018), which is a mono synth. It looks like Thorn CM is polyphonic, released around the same time.

The manual was dated 2018.

Edited by abacab

11 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

That's a possibility but (for PC at least) Thorn CM is in the Plug instruments  Suite Folder downloadable from FileSilo (if you have an hour to spare 😉  )

They now have a zip file that contains other download links. Much quicker,

As for Thorn, PA has sales when you can get it cheap.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

That's a possibility but (for PC at least) Thorn CM is in the Plug instruments  Suite Folder downloadable from FileSilo (if you have an hour to spare 😉  )

I found that suite, but you must own CM #296 to get it. Currently available for 99 cents as a CM back issue special at PocketMags (see Larry's post).

5 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

I think it's available with every edition - but yes that is a great way of getting hold of it if you don't have a sub

Yep, that exactly what I thought, as the Thorn CM from #296 was unlocked for me. But I downloaded the zip to only find the Mac version... 😢

I reported it to them yesterday, but no response yet.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Yes, you are correct. I unzipped it to discover that it's a Mac only version. No Windows installer. I have reported that as a problem.

All the other zip files I have downloaded from FileSilo contain both platforms.

I am not sure I understand. Are you saying you unzipped the version from the CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments.zip and it was the Mac version? I downloaded it yesterday and it was definitely the PC version. It contained a file called ThornSetup_100.exe. So unless Macs are now using exe's...

The CM version was what actually enticed me to buy Thorn from Dmitry before he went with PA. I have subsequently gotten the PA version as well the recently released Tantra 2. As Fleer would say, it is goud stewf.

Edited by Doug Rintoul

27 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I am not sure I understand. Are you saying you unzipped the version from the CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments.zip and it was the Mac version? I downloaded it yesterday and it was definitely the PC version. It contained a file called ThornSetup_100.exe. So unless Macs are now using exe's...

Allow me to back up and explain again. I registered current editions  (new subscriber) of CM #304 & #305 in FileSilo, and saw a standalone download for Thorn CM was unlocked (not the instrument suite). THAT download only contained the Mac installer. Assume that was an oversight on their part to have omitted the Windows version. The unlocked standalone (non suite) zip files for Zebra CM  and Bazille CM are dual platform.

So I went ahead and purchased back issue CM #296 for $0.99, and have the CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments unlocked and downloaded now. It contains the Windows setup for Thorn CM. All good now, except that it was a bit of a hassle, and cost an extra $0.99.

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Allow me to back up and explain again. I registered current editions  (new subscriber) of CM #304 & #305 in FileSilo, and saw a standalone download for Thorn CM was unlocked (not the instrument suite). THAT download only contained the Mac installer. Assume that was an oversight on their part to have omitted the Windows version. The unlocked standalone (non suite) zip files for Zebra CM  and Bazille CM are dual platform.

So I went ahead and purchased back issue CM #296 for $0.99, and have the CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments unlocked and downloaded now. It contains the Windows setup for Thorn CM. All good now, except that it was a bit of a hassle, and cost an extra $0.99.

I don't think you actually needed to purchase CM #296. The CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments I downloaded that contained Thorn was from the filesilo link for CM#305. I also tried the link in the ZIP file for faster download (it downloaded a file called Legacy CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments.zip), and it too contained the PC version of Thorn. Interestingly enough, the CM#305  filesilo link points to the download for CM#296.

You are correct that the standalone download for Thorn only contains the Mac version. Something is a bit messed up for sure.

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I don't think you actually needed to purchase CM #296. The CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments I downloaded that contained Thorn was from filesilo the link for CM#305. I also tried the link in the ZIP file for faster download (it downloaded a file called Legacy CM Plugin Suite PC Instruments.zip), and it too contained the PC version of Thorn. Interestingly enough, the filesilo link points to the download for CM#296.

No worries! At least I have the complete CM Plugin Suite now! And I also picked up Dune CM and Aalto CM with that suite, which are also synths I've been meaning to check out.

For $0.99 that's a pretty good collection. No more back issues needed for plugins! :)

• Like 1