Nostalgia on Humble Bundle .. Remember MYST

aidan o driscoll

2 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

One good thing I would imagine, about these MYST games from back the is the footprint on your HD should be relatively very small?

Download file sizes...

• Myst Masterpiece (original Myst with better pre-rendered graphics) 1999: 1GB
  • Riven (sequel to Myst) 1997: 5.1 GB
  • Myst III Exile 2001: 2.2 GB
  • Myst IV Revelation 2004: 9 GB
  • Myst V End of Ages 2005: 3.2 GB
  • realMyst Masterpiece (re-imagined original, in realtime 3D open world) 2014: 1.8GB

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Ouch @abacab  .. would they have been that big back in the 90s :D .. I was expecting MBs

LOL! The late 90's coincided with the release of the DVD-ROM, and that became a popular software distribution medium. Minimum of 4.7GB blew away the miniscule 650MB capacity of CD-ROMs.

So games got biggerer and betterer... 🤪

It is said that Myst was the killer app that sold CD-ROM drives, finally made it so that every computer had to have one. It had a very light profile on the HD, the resources were loaded from the CD-ROM as the game progressed. It required a double-speed drive, if you had a quad-speed CD-ROM, you could really fly in Myst. I think it came on two discs, you had to swap the second one in when you passed a certain point in the game. So with the "masterpiece" 24-bit graphics and 360 engine, no surprise that they're bigger now.

Friend or coworker says "hey, check out this game I'm working my way through," person expects an FP shooter or arcade style, person sees this richly-detailed mysterious deserted island with cool vaguely unsettling sound effects and music constantly running in the background, person buys both the Myst CD and a drive to run it on.

It and The 7th Guest were games that drew in non-gamers because they looked beautiful and exercised the brain more than eye-hand coordination. I still remember the day I walked into Fry's in Sunnyvale and saw The 7th Guest running on a PC they had set up. I thought to myself "this is going to change everything." I went back to work and told all of my fellow employees who were into games that they had to check this thing out and tell me what they thought. Their opinion was that the puzzles themselves were not that great but that the game as a whole was very engaging due to the pretty pictures. I never did solve The 7th Guest, but I did finish both Myst and Riven. Can't remember if I did Exile.

Chris Brandkampt and Robyn Miller's work on the Myst soundtrack raised the bar for sound in video games. Miller's soundtrack music itself was eventually released by Virgin Records.

Never played Revelation, End of Ages, Uru, or Obduction, so this seems like a heckuva deal. Bonus: they should all run really well on my systems.

• Like 2