Stormy Weather final

mark skinner

Hello , I've been in a writing lull so I thought I'd do a jazz standard I used to perform.  Weapons - TTS brush kit and upright bass , SI strings ,  Keyzone Classic piano , G&L tremolo electric and Godin nylon guitar.  Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.     Thanks for your time and Any help on this one .  Everything has been reworked.  Special Thanks to @markno999 for additional drum work.  Additional mixing and Mastering by  @garybrun        We Surrender ..  mark

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14389141

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First mix?....are you kidding?....that song sounds great from beginning to end....tasteful strings, great vocal, nylon guitar sounds great, tremolo guitar sounds great....my nitpicks: a soft trumpet would be nice, maybe a harmonica just to see if it would fit....beautiful work Mark 👍🎤🎶🔊

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Mark, your voice is incredible in this one !  . . . so much character and expression, you obviously know this tune very well, and totally got inside it here. The instrument arrangement is very special also, I am transported to that jazz club ! . . . can almost smell the cigarettes, Lol

Now, don't monkey with that mix too much, sounds very balanced and convincing, maybe you nailed first time ?

I've only heard it on headphones so far, but will let you know how it translates to other systems.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

After listening back again this morning I take back my comments about the drift.
When listening again with fresh ears... I think its very good.

I had been listening to other music..  which was very on time and the drift really stood out and thats all I could hear.
Maybe that's because you mentioned it!!
Also not knowing much about jazz either didn't give me really the authority to comment.

I love the voice... really well done.

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1

Hello guys , Thank You All for the Wonderful comments and suggestions!  After listening and before anyone posted I started a remix. @garybrun I went back to mono and made some volume changes. I dropped the vocals 1.8 DB and moved a few phrases to get them more on point. First impressions are usually correct .. @Larry T. Thanks for your comment , I almost did a harmonica track but didn't have one in the right key. @Bert Guy I found the wood block , tambourine and the snare annoying and tamed them all. @jwnicholson78 I remember doing this one in a smoky piano bar  , it was always requested when I'd play there. Good times .. @noynekker Thanks , that means a lot to me to come from a singer with your talent.  The cigarettes are probably the reason I had to drop this a step and a half to get it sung .. @SupaReels that was quite a compliment , one of my favorites to do was a Joe Cocker/BB King song. May try it again someday. @Paul Bush I Really appreciate it , you've been on a roll yourself lately !  Thanks again , there's probably still room for improvement.      mark

• Like 1

Your vocal sounds to me, a little like the late Joe Cocker ,  absolutely the most impressive vox I've heard on this site  .. ever, and musically excellent so ...

DO NOT MESS WITH THE MIX it works fine.

Just my opinion but 10/10 👍

Steve

Prefer the original .. but hey a good song as a good song 🌼

• Like 1

Mark, you've given life to this song in an arrangement that is very much your own.  I think it will stand the test of time without any further work.  As others have said, your voice is the star of this piece; smoky and emotional, it makes me believe what you're singing about.  You are truly a goldmine!  I'm going to have to try out those brushes on one of my tunes someday.  I forgot how useful TTS can be.  Keep up the good work!

@Jimbo 88 Thanks for the feedback. I've done another remix and put it a step closer to the first mix that I posted. While doing It , I settled down the drums quite a bit. I normally get along nicely with the TTS brush kit but I've had problems working in3/4 time. @Lynn Wilson Thanks for the compliments , I think I'm calling this one "done" for now.  I need to get away from it before I Really mess it up.   I think I'm going to start using Soundcloud for early mixes and Sounclick for the final mix.    I really liked the streaming quality of your last song .                                                                                                                                    Thanks   mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'm an idiot because it took me a bit to figure out what time signature this was in. Once I figured out it was basically a waltz, I had to smile. Cool choice.

Vocals are amazing! Mix is clean and crisp, maybe just maybe just a hair bright in spots, for me anyway, maybe on the lead ovation-sounding guitar, but the playing is impeccable.  Love the outtro chords, too!

wow just wow!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Fantastic take on a classic.   Had a few listens and overall really good, vocals and guitar really shine.   The drums timing goes a little off in a few spots but otherwise really good.   Maybe check for doubles (MIDI) on your drums parts, almost sounds like that kind of hiccup.     That said, the track is definitely superb.

Regards

• Like 1