singing into microphone and megaphone and cakewalk

andrew77

hi,   got cheap kareoke microphone to sing into. 

Plugged into Behringer DAW to headphones and can hear in headphones

and in Cakewalk.

But singing into a  megaphone directed at microphone gets no sound in headphones .

But Cakewalk picks it up albeit quiet

anyone point me to best place to understand this.

The Behringer umc22 is your audio interface, the DAW is Cakewalk.

I will assume the Microphone only has a 1/4" jack. That should be connected to say input 1 of the interface. You adjust the Gain control until the CLIP light comes on when talking or singing loudly and back it off a little bit. The meter in Cakewalk will verify your signal level and this should be between - 18db and -6 db. 

I cover audio set up in this video.    https://youtu.be/iNPqNyoX4iU 

I cover setting up audio interfaces in this one  https://youtu.be/P2pnDOC7HEk

I see , thanks.  Will look at your vids at weekend,  they look good.  The  microphone jack says 6.3mm..  Normal voice is ok. 

Pointing a little loud megaphone at microphone connected to Beringer audio interface gets no sound in headphones  ,   but  is picked up very quiet in cakewalk.

I think its case of learning about microphones. 

Edit :   jack is 6.35mm so is 1/4 jack.  Good vids thanks

Edited by andrew77

Helpfull advice in your vids espeacialy about clipping.

I sorted the microphone thing out.  Was using cheap kareoke mic. 

Got Behringer c-1  condenser mic.  Also cheap but it picks up the megaphone ,  ( should have mentioned is voice changing one)

No wonder musicians etc just get a sound engineer in.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like it's a matter of adjusting that gain knob on the interface. Too hot and you clip the input of the interface's preamp, too cold and the level of your recorded sound will be needlessly low, losing a lot of the benefits of digital recording.

I have a Behringer C-1, it's not the worst Chinese LDC you could have bought. I put it in the "punches above its weight" category. Fine as a first mic, esp. if you got a deal on it.

I've used mine on guitar amp and on voice. Never tried it on megaphone, though.

And yes, recording, especially audio, does mean you're going to pick up a new skillset. A good thing is that what you learn doing it yourself can translate into being a better customer of professional services if you decide to go that way at some point.

I think it means taking a similar approach to how you'd learn an instrument. Don't expect to be a virtuoso right away and remember that the pros make it look easier than it is. 😁 Oh, and help is plentiful on the internet. 😉

• Like 1