HAUNTED HOUSE - My entry in the Spitfire Audio Darkstar Composing CompetitionScoring

Reid Rosefelt

The assignment in this scoring competition was to make music for a short film, "Haunted House," by  the group Darkstar.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/haunted-house-scoring-competition/

All the sounds in this came from Spitfire Audio's $29 Darkstar Haunted House library, with the exception of the vocal, which is Bronte from the Evolution Series.   I was going for a "Twin Peaks" vibe.    This is also my second binaural mix, so please use headphones.

I'm not crazy about Spitfire's player, so I loaded everything but Bronte in Unify.  This made something that was very frustrating to use into smooth sailing..  I may do a video on how I set it all up, but I will wait until I officially lose this contest.  😄

This was good to do because there was a brief video I could use without being concerned with rights, plus the discipline of trying to do it all with one library.  That was something I did before with the Evolution Series with my video  NAIAD.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, jude77 said:

That was REALLY well done and quite compelling.  Do you have a background in visual media?

I didn't do the video.  It was provided by Spitfire and the group Darkstar. There are hundreds of people scoring it.   I just edited my original post to make this clear.

That said, I have made a lot of videos.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt

On 1/27/2022 at 12:32 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

@Reid Rosefelt  "I'm not crazy about Spitfire's player, so I loaded everything but Bronte in Unify.  "

how did you manage that? I also own Darkstar but he samples folder is proprietary files - .spitfire?

Nice entry BTW, well done

I didn't need to get into the samples.  In a nutshell, there are six controls to Haunted House (in addition to expression and mix that I used my modwheel and slider)
They have weird names, but I mapped them by CC to the Unify knobs and assigned them names like reverb, delay, sample size, flanger  instead of the screwball 0names in the interface (4 ETERNITY,   REP 4 ME,  R LUV BOO,  MIST N FLEX, etc. )  I called them what they were.   This way I could control all the settings at the same time and see how the six settings looked in Unify.   There's a lot of other stuff I did with it involving patch labeling and sound design. 

I promise to do a video on it after the winners are announced.  I just don't think it's good timing for me to say that I don't find the Spitfire player easy to use. 😄   But after I lose,  I will do it. 

Glad you liked my entry.  😄  I like it too.

If anybody's interested, here's the page with all the entries:

https://www.youtube.com/hashtag/myhauntedhousescore

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 11:02 AM, Reid Rosefelt said:

The assignment in this scoring competition was to make music for a short film, "Haunted House," by  the group Darkstar.

All the sounds in this came from Spitfire Audio's $29 Darkstar Haunted House library, with the exception of the vocal, which is Bronte from the Evolution Series.   I was going for a "Twin Peaks" vibe.    This is also my second binaural mix, so please use headphones.

I'm not crazy about Spitfire's player, so I loaded everything but Bronte in Unify.  This made something that was very frustrating to use into smooth sailing..  I may do a video on how I set it all up, but I will wait until I officially lose this contest.  😄

This was good to do because there was a brief video I could use without being concerned with rights, plus the discipline of trying to do it all with one library.  That was something I did before with the Evolution Series with my video  NAIAD.

Trippy ;^)
The binaural effects are really interesting.

So just a quick heads up.
I have been working on Unifying Spitfire Originals titles that I have and posting them on the plugin Guu forum.
I just finished Unifying Darkstar Haunted House.

You can download the unified patch library from this post here:

https://forums.pluginguru.com/postid/12713/

1 hour ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Trippy ;^)
The binaural effects are really interesting.

So just a quick heads up.
I have been working on Unifying Spitfire Originals titles that I have and posting them on the plugin Guu forum.
I just finished Unifying Darkstar Haunted House.

You can download the unified patch library from this post here:

https://forums.pluginguru.com/postid/12713/

Cool, Simeon. I look forward to checking it out.   Check out the link--it's from the Unify Forum..  Simeon has been on a tear, doing a LOT of Spitfire stuff. 😄

Did you have to get permission from Spitfire? 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt

23 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I get you now, thought you had somehow managed to move the samples themselves across

You should really check out Unify. Since it is a plugin host you are able to load 3rd party plugins such as Spitfire Player on multiple layers, and never need to open or look at the native plugin UI. They are still there in the background and are accessible if needed, but can also be ignored. :)

Great idea @Reid Rosefelt!!!

Edit: You can insert 3rd party plugins in Unify layers regardless of whether or not they have already been "Unified". You just select the patch in the native plugin GUI, and set any desired effects in the respective Unify layer, then save it in the Unify user library yourself. Once you have done that, the preset is "Unified" and available to load directly from the Unify browser.

All "Unified" presets will appear in the Unify preset browser, allowing you to completely bypass the native plugin UI.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Cool, Simeon. I look forward to checking it out.   Check out the link--it's from the Unify Forum..  Simeon has been on a tear, doing a LOT of Spitfire stuff. 😄

Reid,
It seems that it might not be something required, as John has not mentioned that aspect to me in our recent working together. I was following his pattern of past Originals releases and picking up that baton.

John mentioned he was going to try and reach out to Christian about what we were doing and hopefully get some more interest in what Unify can bring to the table.

I also posted on the Spitfire Audio user forum as well, so it will be interesting to see the response.

The thing is, unifying victual instruments and libraries is an essential component to strengthen what I am calling the Unify Ecosystem. The prospects of having what I am also calling a "Meta" (I know new buzzword) Template using Unify is really promising but it requires more "unified" patch libraries to make it viable.

I think we are definitely on our way!

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I think the general rule of thumb is that if they are factory presets you are already clear to use them as Unified presets, as they would be useless to someone unless they already had a license for the underlying instrument the presets are based on.

But it's probably always a nice gesture to ask! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I think the general rule of thumb is that if they are factory presets you are already clear to use them as Unified presets, as they would be useless to someone unless they already had a license for the underlying instrument the presets are based on.

But it's probably always a nice gesture to ask! :)

I definitely agree.
Here is more detail on what has been done up to this point.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, Reid Rosefelt said:

Reid , ya ok ?

• Haha 3