Any computer geniuses that can help?

Garage Rodeo

Question

I had the great idea to create a symbolic link to my cakewalk folder. That way I could move it to "D drive".

Somehow in the process, I erased all my projects, and can't get em back. 

1. I need to find out how to maybe erase that symbolic link, nothing has worked.

2. System restore doesn't affect personal files. So no luck there

Please help, thanx

1 hour ago, tony1979 said:

The last one.

With "recuva" I recovered files from both C &D, so at least now I can see CWP files, which is a good start.  But CW wont open them.  Is this where I need to create a junction? Thanks

I should also add, I cant uninstall CW  in Control Panel anymore either. Says uninstaller is missing. Somehow I messed that up too

keep it simple

If "C:\Cakewalk Content" is a directory junction, remove it.

if "C:\Cakewalk Content" is a directory leave it

If the rollback instructions do not work in this link chances are the installation is too damaged.

If this is the case, perform step 5 of the clean install instructions

Delete the following Registry keys. If you do not have one of the Registry keys below, simply proceed to the next one on the list.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Cakewalk Music Software

Download and the Cakewalk Installer from this page and reinstall everything you installed previously.

You're the man!! That worked out, and I was able to install, and all project folders look to be back in. Although in different order, by track name instead of per project, so I may have to go thru each one.

The projects aren't opening tho, and I keep getting this warning.  (attached below) Any guesses on the fix? Thanks again for all this guys!

cw.png

Ouch! 🙆🏻‍♂️ 

Try copying the project folder to you desktop and delete the original one (leaving it in the recycle bin.) Next reinstall cakewalk and copy the projects (only) to the newly created project folder.  Infact, uninstall the previous one completely and do a clean reinstall. You keep that copies safe far from harm - external. 

Worse case should this not work: you loose everything. 🙆🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1 hour ago, tony1979 said:

You're the man!! That worked out, and I was able to install, and all project folders look to be back in. Although in different order, by track name instead of per project, so I may have to go thru each one.

The projects aren't opening tho, and I keep getting this warning.  (attached below) Any guesses on the fix? Thanks again for all this guys!

cw.png

Did you try the safe mode suggested by the message?

7 hours ago, tony1979 said:

I talked to a data recovery company, they said Im screwed, so IDK.  Ill keep trying tho.

This was my first thought.

To really checked this, try using AVC (Any Video Converter) or any Audio converter you might have to confirm what they say, by converting one or two Wav files to mp3 or AAIF and see if that fix the files (which I doubt,) but we're here to help so any information and idea will help right now. 

I'll def try that, thanks.

I'm taking it in next week to a repair guy. I appreciate all the info, but your responses are above my paygrade. I fear I may have done more damage than necessary in last 2 weeks.  I had a lot of songs mixed already that really only needed vocals for an album.  Plus 50 other half projects. Fingers crossed.

But thanks for trying, your guys' computer knowledge is impressive.  Check "garage rodeo" on Spotify a year from now, if there's still only 4 songs, I never found em, lol.