Upgrade to Analog Lab V

cclarry

On 1/26/2022 at 8:24 PM, PavlovsCat said:

What would you think of Analog Lab if you didn't have Aurturia's other synths? 

Even with the V Collection, I would still recommend using the Analog Lab V to browse and audition the sounds from the AL V browser. And the AL V macro controls are already setup to tweak the most common performance controls in each preset, so you don't really need to open the full synth edit page.

I currently have 12,578 presets available to search from in my Analog Lab V browser. That includes all of the full V Collection 8 presets, the Pigments 3.5 presets, plus a few additional Arturia and 3rd party libraries.

So being able to search all of those presets from a single browser makes it a bit more manageable. Still chipping away at marking my favorites for a faster search. It is a massive keyboard collection, and more than just synths! Piano, Digital Pianos, Clavinet, Organs, Mellotron, etc.

Analog Lab will let you open the full instrument in edit view if you own it, so once you find a sound you like and want to tweak it more to taste, that is very accessible with one click. But Analog Lab alone is quite a value.

I already had Analog Lab V, Pigments, and Piano V, so I wasn't really planning to upgrade to V Collection. Until Arturia sent me an upgrade deal that I couldn't refuse last year. But I'm really glad that I did the full upgrade! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I started my reasonably healthy Arturia addiction with the (first?) Analog Lab that came with one of their smallest controllers, then got version 4 of the V Collection synths and never upgraded the latter. Each and every Analog Lab upgrade was free and brought an incredible amount of (adaptable) presets covering all V Collection synths, even the latest ones. So I didn’t feel the need to upgrade the synths themselves. I did get Pigments, though, as that’s a whole other ballgame.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

Thanks, guys.  I'm impressed with the musicians who create their own patches or are studio wizards, but that's never been me. Even as a working musician, I looked for and was very happy finding presets that inspired me and focused on playing music -- that's the part that always gave me the greatest thrill -- even though I would love to have the skills to make my own sounds, it's just a time management thing for me. Plus, if I were starting to write a patch, I would end up writing three songs before I was even finished with the patch and the same thing would happen with my next attempt. When I play around with Analog Lite, I'm a bit surprised that it was free. It's that good, IMO. The quality is superb. The only thing that stopped me from upgrading in the past when there was a sale is the fact that a lot of the sounds in the Lite version duplicate bread and butter sample libraries I already own formatted, mostly for KONTAKT. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Some days I regret not getting AL4 upgrade when it was available at similar price. I waited because of the forthcoming black version of the 88 key controller which seemed like a nice thing and included AL4, so........

Here we are in 2022 and after many iterations of words to the effect of  "we'll have some real soon, honest"  from local retailer, we're both still waiting for it..... they've now changed stock status from "end jan 22" to " buy it now and we'll let you know when we get some"....erm.....No.

AL5 seemed like a downgrade of AL4 to me. Not sure that the new UI improved anything and they considerably reduced the soundset.

Other days I come over all sensible and remember how many other synth sounds I already have at my disposal and probably haven't even heard half of them yet, let alone used them and there's almost no end to what sounds I could make for myself if I chose to...

But then again 39 beer tokens......

Damn you Larry....... 

Oh wait.....AL5 min spec says win 8.1. I'm saved from the clutches of the deal super spreader ! 

Thank you my dear old PC. 😀

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

The only thing that stopped me from upgrading in the past when there was a sale is the fact that a lot of the sounds in the Lite version duplicate bread and butter sample libraries I already own formatted, mostly for KONTAKT. 

Given both formats for bread and butter sounds, my preference is for anything Arturia over sampled Kontakt instruments. Samples are great for orchestral and acoustic sounds, however. Just my opinion, of course, but the quicker preset loading for modeled presets is my top reason. All of my samples are on an SSD, but still...

11 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I have the lite version and like it, but I  don't think I've ever used it in a production yet. I'd love to hear from someone who owns it. @abacabMy budget doesn't allow me to buy the V Collection. What would you think of Analog Lab if you didn't have Aurturia's other synths? 

It’s useful without Vcollection for sure. The best thing with it is the ability to filter presets based on categories and characteristics. It does allow tweaking of key parameters and there are effects, but you don’t get to edit the underlying synth(s) unless you own them.

AL satisfies 80% of my synth and keyboard needs, and the rest of the time I try something else or need to edit the synth itself (i.e Vcollection and pigments). I never open these directly nowadays, as AL is the perfect front end.

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, paulo said:

Some days I regret not getting AL4 upgrade when it was available at similar price.

Same here.

4 hours ago, paulo said:

AL5 seemed like a downgrade of AL4 to me. Not sure that the new UI improved anything and they considerably reduced the soundset.

Agree 100%.

13 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I have the lite version and like it, but I  don't think I've ever used it in a production yet. I'd love to hear from someone who owns it. @abacabMy budget doesn't allow me to buy the V Collection. What would you think of Analog Lab if you didn't have Aurturia's other synths? 

I own this and at this price point, it is more than worth it. It does make you hunger for V Collection, but that is a testament to how good it is. For starters, the organization makes things very manageable for something with so many presets.. The wide variety of sounds cover many genres and work well layered in many combinations. Very useful for creating your own vintage sample loops. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Anyone know if a v5 full license would also work for the v4 installer?  I'd rather not install to find out.  I got on the bus at v5 and I have some Push racks for v4 that I'd like to use.

I already had a AL 4 license, and was granted with AL V when they released it, so now I have both versions (on same license). I don't know if that works in reverse, though.

I would check with Arturia support.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I already had a AL 4 license, and was granted with AL V when they released it, so now I have both versions (on same license). I don't know if that works in reverse, though.

I would check with Arturia support.

I did so earlier and they gave me an NFR for 4. Pleasant experience. 

• Like 3