Export audio gets stuck

Christophe Perus

Question

Hi,

Cakewalk gets stuck while I export audio. After picking the tracks, defining which bus to export and setting the start and finish time, hitting the "Export" ends up showing a small progress bar in the timer area, which then disappears and then nothing happens, Cakewalks seems to be waiting for something.

I have to kill cakewalk and retry many times until, by chance, the export works as expected. Sometimes, it seems that restarting my audio interface helps, but it's not a consistent behaviour.

9 answers to this question

Export is strictly an in-the-box process. There is no dependence on hardware so, cycling the power on the interface, if it has any effect is similar to toggling the audio engine in the DAW.

The likely suspects are plug-ins in the project, export settings or a combination of both.

A few things to try

• real-time export
  • bouncing or freezing tracks before export
  • removing any 32bit plug-ins from the project

It sounds like the DAW is hung (spinning blue ring), capture a hang dump and send it to support. Here is the process.

Hello to all    I have had a similar problem when exporting audio but not all the time. Sometimes the export goes through and the window giving direct access to the exported file shows up but it seems to happen very quickly and when i look at the exported audio file it is empty. If i close down the program and re-open the export goes through fine. 

Hello to both     I'm in the process of transferring my old 32 bit Cakewalk projects to Bandlab just replacing the 32 bit effects with the Bandlab 64 bit and using the new sound modules for certain. That's all so basically the same operation each time .... but sometimes when i exported the final project I ended up with an empty file.  This morning i finished one & it exported perfectly. I'll have a look at the Bounce Buffer Size this week. 

May  i say thank you to the team responsible for putting all this together. It's taken me 3 months to come to grips with some of the changes but they all make sense ..... and for me it is still the most stable music app on the market.    Bravo !!!!!

best regards      Ian Mac  

After multiple exports and still facing the issue, I found that the solution provided by scook worked for me. It seems that when having several instrument tracks, with some effects applied to them, Cakewalk will struggle with the cleanup at the startup of the export.

So I freeze every track from bottom to top (top to bottom seems to freeze Cakewalk from time to time), while saving between each track freeze. Then I export my project normally.

3 hours ago, Christophe Perus said:

It seems that when having several instrument tracks, with some effects applied to them, Cakewalk will struggle with the cleanup at the startup of the export.

There must be more to it than that as this is clearly not a problem that everyone using a lot of synths and plugins experiences regularly.- it's likely related to some specific plugin(s) as scook suggested and you could save yourself a lot of work over the long term by testing to find the culprit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

There must be more to it than that as this is clearly not a problem that everyone using a lot of synths and plugins experiences regularly.- it's likely related to some specific plugin(s) as scook suggested and you could save yourself a lot of work over the long term by testing to find the culprit.

100%. I have never had issues as desribed above and I have some pretty busy projects sometimes. My computer is also pretty underpowered by today's standards.