How? Dragging a Track out of a Folder SOLVED

Billy86

Trying to use this new feature in 2021.12...  

New behavior when dragging tracks/folders

Dragging a track to the left side moves it out of the folder. (This is what I'm trying to do to remove a track from a folder where it doesn't belong. I know I can use the dropdown to move the track out of the folder, but then the removed track is dropped all the way to the bottom of the tracks in track view. I want the track next to the folder I'm trying to drag it out of. I keep having to use this method and am constantly having to reposition tracks.) I'm clicking and dragging left, but nothing is happening.

Dragging to the right side moves it to the bottom of the existing folder at the target location (i.e. same level as the track above). Will use this eventually, too, I'm sure.

Tip: While dragging, look at the left edge of the drop indicator - it will be exactly at the folder depth the track will be placed at. 

What is the "drop indicator"? Moving my mouse around the track all I see is the "move track" indicator that allows me to drag the track up and down. I don't see one that indicates left/right. What am I missing?

Thanks. 

Edited by Billy86

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, still having issues trying to move/ reorder folders. "Sliding/ dragging" doesn't do anything on my daw. Years using the "line" to tell where to drop location. Now it doesn't matter what the "line" - it only goes to the nearest folder.

I have six folders and cannot reorder them. Movement only adds to the nearest folder in the location I want to move to. I literally have no ability to relocate a folder or track.

Three months ago I thought this would be a cool feature. It only made the workflow more difficult.

Would love to be able to turn off feature.

12 minutes ago, King Burton said:

Yeah, still having issues trying to move/ reorder folders. "Sliding/ dragging" doesn't do anything on my daw. Years using the "line" to tell where to drop location. Now it doesn't matter what the "line" - it only goes to the nearest folder.

I have six folders and cannot reorder them. Movement only adds to the nearest folder in the location I want to move to. I literally have no ability to relocate a folder or track.

Three months ago I thought this would be a cool feature. It only made the workflow more difficult.

Would love to be able to turn off feature.

@King Burton - can you post a video of what you're seeing?

Sory M.

Audio guy. Idiot with video.

User since Sonar4. Kinda thought anyone who uses CW would understand moving tracks/folders. Not sure how to better describe better. I simply cannot move a track or folder without it going into another folder. The Drag/Slide doesn't do anything. Only drag & drop up/down. Have to use "Remove from folder" to remove out of folder. Dragging just adds it to another folder.

My current solution - remove all tracks and delete all folders. Awkward using 7 softsynths, drums, and 9 vox tracks. 

I wonder how deep I can go with sub sub sub sub folders. If it is only one sub level, can I make one folder & put the entire project inside?

Whatever the algorythm used, it's too sensitive

19 minutes ago, King Burton said:

Sory M.

Audio guy. Idiot with video.

User since Sonar4. Kinda thought anyone who uses CW would understand moving tracks/folders. Not sure how to better describe better. I simply cannot move a track or folder without it going into another folder. The Drag/Slide doesn't do anything. Only drag & drop up/down. Have to use "Remove from folder" to remove out of folder. Dragging just adds it to another folder.

My current solution - remove all tracks and delete all folders. Awkward using 7 softsynths, drums, and 9 vox tracks. 

I wonder how deep I can go with sub sub sub sub folders. If it is only one sub level, can I make one folder & put the entire project inside?

Whatever the algorythm used, it's too sensitive

Without seeing what is going on, there's not much I can do to help.  I use https://www.screentogif.com/ to capture short screen captures - it's free, and pretty easy to use.

For re-ordering folders (especially if they're collapsed), there should be absolutely no difference to how it's been for years.  In the latest EA version, the left/right behaviour is disabled for collapsed folders.

If all you're doing is moving folders around, then it should be obvious where the folder is going:  if you're seeing an indicator "box" around a folder, it's going to end up in that folder;  if you're seeing a line between two folders, it'll get moved between them.

One thing that can confuse things is the default naming of folders - if you've not given a folder a name, it names it based on it's ordering, so moving those folders around may look like they've not moved, but in actual fact it's just their name has changed to match their new position.  I've coloured the folders in this example, so you can see what I mean:

movingFoldersWithoutNames.gif

There's currently no limit to the depth of sub-folders, but sooner or later it'll get to the point where you'll have to expand your track pane to the point where you can't see anything useful in the clips pane, and ceases to be of any benefit.