Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lynn

Our Planet - revisited

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

About 6 or 7 years ago, I wrote this song and posted it on the old song forum.  Since then, I upgraded my studio's mixing capabilities with both hardware and software, and gained much knowledge from you guys in regard to mixing and producing.  So, I decided to remix this song because the message is still timely.  I cleaned up much of the "mud" in the low frequencies and added a light touch of delay and reverb to the bass drum to give it depth.  I also cleaned up the guitars for better definition, as some people had mentioned this.  I hope you all enjoy this, the product of your suggestions.  Thanks to all who have helped in the past, and to those who help me now.  I'm still open to suggestions with this, so fire away.

 

It can be found here: 

 

Edited by Lynn
updated version
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The video helps move the song along nicely, I'd say it works. It would be interesting to hear the first mix, and compare it to this - I'm sure it's much clearer the second go around . . . I especially like the added measure and the vocal processing in the chorus!  The vocals throughout are a strength. A great effort, Lynn!

 

Which is not to say it wasn't also kind of depressing as hell.  :)

 

cheers,

-Tom

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do remember the song but not the original mix (obviously) - this sounds excellent Lynn - really ready to roll.

As Tom said, the topic is so depressing. We have to make choices as individuals and trust there are enough of us doing the right thing.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember this song but I am not competent to remember the mix and compare it to this version.  However, I think that this mix sounds great.  The topic is even more relevant today and the lyrics certainly make an important point.  The video really complements the music and lyrics.  I am working on a video now but I am having a hard time finding clips that might not violate copyrights and maintain the same level video quality.  If you don't mind my asking, how to you manage this.  Your video is very well done.

Back to the music.  The mix, arrangement, performance, timing with the video all are excellent.  Your vocals are particularly convincing in presenting the lyrics.

Excellent work my friend!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, amiller said:

I like everything about it.  Thanks for posting.

Thank you for your time and reply.  My pleasure.

14 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

The video helps move the song along nicely, I'd say it works. It would be interesting to hear the first mix, and compare it to this - I'm sure it's much clearer the second go around . . . I especially like the added measure and the vocal processing in the chorus!  The vocals throughout are a strength. A great effort, Lynn!

 

Which is not to say it wasn't also kind of depressing as hell.  :)

 

cheers,

-Tom

 

Tom, thanks for listening and your kind words.  This mix is indeed clearer and punchier than the first mix, where the bass drum played a minor role.  It is kind of depressing, but I personally have hope that enough people are paying attention.

7 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

I do remember the song but not the original mix (obviously) - this sounds excellent Lynn - really ready to roll.

As Tom said, the topic is so depressing. We have to make choices as individuals and trust there are enough of us doing the right thing.

 

Daryl, thanks for responding.  See my comments above.

6 hours ago, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi Lynn,

Great song and thought-provoking video.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

regards

paul

Paul, thanks for your time and comments.  Keep writing those terrific songs of yours.

23 minutes ago, freddy j said:

I remember this song but I am not competent to remember the mix and compare it to this version.  However, I think that this mix sounds great.  The topic is even more relevant today and the lyrics certainly make an important point.  The video really complements the music and lyrics.  I am working on a video now but I am having a hard time finding clips that might not violate copyrights and maintain the same level video quality.  If you don't mind my asking, how to you manage this.  Your video is very well done.

Back to the music.  The mix, arrangement, performance, timing with the video all are excellent.  Your vocals are particularly convincing in presenting the lyrics.

Excellent work my friend!!!

Hi Freddy, I really appreciate your words and time.  I'm glad to hear that you're working on a video.  I got these clips from VideoBlocks when they offered 20 free video clips a day for one week.  I was able to get enough content for this video, and they may still offer a week's worth of video clips but you'd have to get in touch with them.  Good luck, I can't wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lynn
I think the mix is very well balanced. Also nice and clear such that the listener can distinctly hear all the instruments
and vocal. Well done there.  Great video too. I know how hard it can be to find clips you need!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lynn, I remember this song.  It is very good, almost thought I was listening to ELP.

Was that Stevie Ray Vaughn at 1:48?  It looked like him.

Another example of the Song Forum Quality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 12:32 PM, bjornpdx said:

Lynn
I think the mix is very well balanced. Also nice and clear such that the listener can distinctly hear all the instruments
and vocal. Well done there.  Great video too. I know how hard it can be to find clips you need!

Bjorn, you know how to put a video together, so I appreciate your comments.  I'm encouraged.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:16 PM, Jesse Screed said:

Lynn, I remember this song.  It is very good, almost thought I was listening to ELP.

Was that Stevie Ray Vaughn at 1:48?  It looked like him.

Another example of the Song Forum Quality.

Jesse, I listened to a lot of ELP in the day, so they may have crept into this song a bit.  You make me chuckle... that was just his t-shirt...  And, yes!  The song forum had a huge influence!

 

On 5/25/2019 at 3:59 AM, LadyFuzztail said:

This mix sounds very nice and smooth. It could use a bit more dynamics to emphasize certain beats even more, but other than that it sounds good.

LadyFuzztail, thank you for your kind words.  I know what you mean about the dynamics, which was the biggest change in this mix relative to the first mix.  It's just a question of deciding where to draw the line.  Love your moniker and icon.

Edited by Lynn
misspelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lynn said:

 

Jesse, I listened to a lot of ELP in the day, so they may have crept into this song a bit.  You make me chuckle... that was just his t-shirt...  And, yes!  The song forum had a huge influence!

 

No Lynn, I'm serious.  I know that was you playing the guitar, but if you look at the video, right after *****,  the part with the lady with the sad face, SRV is behind her swinging a beer bottle..,  I swear.

 

Edited by Jesse Screed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember this video on the old forum, but if it was 6 or 7 years I'm probably thinking of something else.  Either way it's a great tune and video.  Speaks volumes about where we are as a people and a civilization.

🙂John B.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesse, I see what you mean.  It must be the hat.

 

John, thanks for replying and your kind words.  The song is actually older than the video, but I thought it needed an update, especially since the topic is still relevant.  As for where we are as a civilization, I'm still hopeful for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done mate, a real improvement from the original. Still think that lead guitar should have been move a little to the center with a touch more guts. As far as the lyrics go ... bloody great and you know from old I'm a lyrics lover so ....

Vid has a message that smoothly integrates with the work without losing the thread, nice touch, must have taken a lot of thought, a n d time so all good there.

Vocal work seems supa pro and the harmonies are right on the money ( Still feel a bit of Joe Walsh in there ).

For me (listened on cans) the mix is correct ... I'm thinking it's one of your best songs

Stay well

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 5:01 AM, SPAK said:

Well done mate, a real improvement from the original. Still think that lead guitar should have been move a little to the center with a touch more guts. As far as the lyrics go ... bloody great and you know from old I'm a lyrics lover so ....

Vid has a message that smoothly integrates with the work without losing the thread, nice touch, must have taken a lot of thought, a n d time so all good there.

Vocal work seems supa pro and the harmonies are right on the money ( Still feel a bit of Joe Walsh in there ).

For me (listened on cans) the mix is correct ... I'm thinking it's one of your best songs

Stay well

Steve

Your words mean a lot to me, Steve.  I'm glad you like the song, and if I do a remix, I'll remember your thoughts about the lead gtr.  Stay busy!

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really cool video - went with the song well. Cool song - and I liked the message.  The mix sounded fine to me.

Thanks for posting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

Really cool video - went with the song well. Cool song - and I liked the message.  The mix sounded fine to me.

Thanks for posting.

Douglas, thank you for your time and comments.  Have a great summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...