New Website Being Built: musicsoftwaredeals.com

Reid Rosefelt

On 2/8/2022 at 5:34 PM, mibby said:

So maybe you can just initialize the screen with the "Random" filter set?  (That may be what you're talking about already anyway.)  I usually change that to Price (ascending) first thing anyway...  Maybe that would make @Fleer happy - because you don't want Fleer to be unhappy with you!

On 2/8/2022 at 7:17 PM, Music Software Deals said:

Yes maybe the default view should be latest deals sorted randomly. Then you can choose your own filters after that.

Thanks we'll do that eventually

• 3 weeks later...

The site is working like a charm and looking great. 

FWIW, my routine now is to check this forum, then go to this site to check on other sales.  When it first comes up, I get to see any NEW sales that have been scraped.  Then I sort by Price to see the cheapest ones.  Then I start filtering by Manufacturer if I have the time or just browsing through things.  The Category is kind of useless since it's not accurate and not dependable.  I'd love to be able to filter out all the sound packs and loops and other clutter like that...

FR1: Can you make the Categories a drop-down check-box like Stores and Manufacturers? Since it isn't accurate for the effects, I would like to filter out just the instruments so I can see the effects, etc. without all the extra clutter. I imagine instrument shoppers would do the opposite because I'd guess instruments are easier to categorize with automation.

FR2: Would Love it if the site could remember, or better yet let me set default preferences.

• Like 1

Thanks, this month we're going to be focusing more on the price tracking / notification element of it so that's our focus for now.

In terms of category filtering it will work once we've categorised all products properly, but its not our priority right now so we'll let you know when its done.

Can you make the Categories a drop-down check-box li

I suppose we could do that yep

FR2: Would Love it if the site could remember, or better yet let me set default preferences.

Possibly in future, but its out of scope for now :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some more progress since our last post. We'velaunched the initial version of price tracking on the site now. Before I go further into this, I just want to clarify, everything on the site including functionality, design, layout, experience etc. is all "MVP" (minimal viable product) meaning it may not look very pretty, but it will work.

We're doing it this way as its the fastest way to build upon the idea, continually iterating, adding new features, improving design etc. as we go. There are lots of things that don't work as expected such as filtering categories/sub-categories and multiple versions of products being listed (because one distributor might call something "Piano VST" and the other might just call it "The Piano VST" making it hard to merge into one "product name" in our database), but these are all expected on our end and we can fix them in time.

The very first iteration of price tracking is now live on the site. You'll see a little "History" link over each deal icon and when you click on it, it will bring you to the price history for that product. While it may be missing some information for now for products that are on multiple stores (if the other stores call the product by a slightly different name - which will be fixed), its the first working version 

Here's an example for MAmp by Melda Production:

https://musicsoftwaredeals.com/price-history/MAmp-by-MeldaProduction-2211/

We've only tracked its price for 3 months so far, so there's limited data for now, but you'll see it shows the price history of the product on ADSRSounds and Plugin Boutique. Over the next few months (and for Black Friday especially) it will start to build more of a price history profile so that chart will be more detailed and have more stores on it.

The price history page doesn't look nice, doesn't have button to link to the product on the stores, and doesn't have price notifications (get notified when it hits a specific price) but those will come further down the line.

Just wanted to show you that the price tracking is already up and running, tracking prices of products across multiple stores to give you a better idea of where the prices are throughout the year.

Any feedback much appreciated!

Edited by Music Software Deals
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I have to say @Music Software Deals, I'm a longtime digital marketing and e-commerce professional and I think what you're doing is pretty cool. Although, personally, Larry 's posts are already driving me to spend more than I should, so your site is a dangerous place for me to visit. 

Thanks @PavlovsCat appreciate it :)

Still working on the sale price notification feature now. It will allow you to get an alert when the product does one of the following (you choose which one):

1. Hits a custom price that you choose
2. Has a new historical low price
3. Has any price drop
4. Hits the same lowest recorded price

Hopefully people will find this useful. Are there any other features people would be interested in seeing? After this we can start improving the look and layout of the site.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sale price notification functionality is now setup and working :)

As you can see from the screenshot, you have a variety of options:

1. Get notified when it hits a price that you specify
  2. Get notified when it hits a new historical low
  3. Get notified when there is any price drop
  4. Get notified when it hits its lowest recorded price again

Additionally, you can choose how long to have the price notifications setup for so you can be notified:

• Just once
  • For 1 week
  • For 2 weeks
  • For 1 month
  • Until you delete the price notification

When you setup any price notification tracking, you'll get an link via email to click on to verify the price notification tracking. After that its setup and you can click the link in your email at any time to manage your notifications and delete any from your list

There are no "accounts" on the website - you just have a private URL for managing your price alerts (see screenshot)

The next two things we're going to work on are:

1. Improve design and layout of website
  2. Fix product categorisation/filtering

Any feedback?

sale price notification.PNG

price alerts.PNG

• Like 1

Awesome!  Great addition!!  No. 2 above it tops in my list so I can get rid of the bottomless "soundpack" stuff that clutters up the pages.

I'm not sure how a "private URL" works, but does this mean we might be able to SAVE our preferred filter selections? 

Actually - maybe you could save our preferred "starting page" state with this "private URL"? (e.g. let us save our preferred filter settings so the page initializes to that)

Really a great idea and an excellent job on this!

Edited by mibby

18 hours ago, mibby said:

2 questions:

1. Where do you go to set up the Price Notifications?

2. Can you set up a PN for a product that is not currently on sale?

1. Price notifications are in the price history on each product. So click into a deal, scroll to the bottom and you'll see the price notifications.

2. No actually, but we'll add a search box shortly so you can search for any product and set up a price notification

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Music Software Deals said:

1. Price notifications are in the price history on each product. So click into a deal, scroll to the bottom and you'll see the price notifications.

2. No actually, but we'll add a search box shortly so you can search for any product and set up a price notification

1. May I suggest a link on the bottom of the tile next to History?  I don't usually go into the History link,  and I obviously didn't think to look there for the Price Notification.  🤔  (This might be the first UI feature you've done that I felt was not intuitive.)

2. This makes me think of another thing. The History won't be available for a Product unless it is currently on sale, right? But obviously you're keeping that info somewhere. (?)  It follows then that you will know about any product that has ever been on sale since you started scraping them....   Are you scraping each Dev's products then? Is that how we'll be able to "search for any product"?  Maybe you can display ALL products for a Dev, whether or not they are on sale?

Just thinking out loud really.  I wonder if there's value in that?  I suppose a customer could search THAT way and find a plugin he didn't know about...  Like FREE plugins!  The user could set up set up his filters to display FREE plugins.  ...And the most recent FREE plugins.  No immediate pay-off for you, but it could drive more eyes to your site....

1 hour ago, mibby said:

1. May I suggest a link on the bottom of the tile next to History?  I don't usually go into the History link,  and I obviously didn't think to look there for the Price Notification.  🤔  (This might be the first UI feature you've done that I felt was not intuitive.)

2. This makes me think of another thing. The History won't be available for a Product unless it is currently on sale, right? But obviously you're keeping that info somewhere. (?)  It follows then that you will know about any product that has ever been on sale since you started scraping them....   Are you scraping each Dev's products then? Is that how we'll be able to "search for any product"?  Maybe you can display ALL products for a Dev, whether or not they are on sale?

Just thinking out loud really.  I wonder if there's value in that?  I suppose a customer could search THAT way and find a plugin he didn't know about...  Like FREE plugins!  The user could set up set up his filters to display FREE plugins.  ...And the most recent FREE plugins.  No immediate pay-off for you, but it could drive more eyes to your site....

1. Yes good point I guess. We'll make it more clear
2. Yes that's why I mentioned it. We're going to add a search box so that you can search for any product (whether on sale or not) and setup a price alert / see the price history even if its not currently on sale

1 hour ago, Music Software Deals said:

We're going to add a search box so that you can search for any product (whether on sale or not) and setup a price alert / see the price history even if its not currently on sale

Sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally set up a Price Notification.  First off - it looks GREAT and I'm hoping it will work as well as it looks.

A couple of things:

1. The  Body of the Verification email is not formatted properly. It needs a carriage-return and a little cleaning up. Not huge, just thought you might like to know.

2. FR: I asked earlier but I'll put it here too: Can we get a link on the bottom of the Product Tile next to History for the Notification set up? Unless you know to go into the History section, it's not apparent you can do this.  To be clear - this is a GREAT feature!

3. The only way I can see to look at the Price Alerts I've set up it to go back to the "Verification email".  I realize we don't have Accounts so it's not easy to get there, but is there a way we can get to our Price Alerts from the website and NOT the email? What if you added a button next to "Create Alert" that looks up our current alerts by the email address we just entered?  Or maybe put the Email Address on top of 3 buttons: Until Cancelled, Create Alert and View Alerts ?

Price History – Music Software Deals.png

Edited by mibby