New Website Being Built: musicsoftwaredeals.com

Reid Rosefelt

There's a guy who's in the process of building a website that will scrape some of the deal information off of the main music websites and assemble the deals in one place.  It's sortable:  by company, category, subcategory and discount.  You can also click the words "grid list" at the top and see a different way of displaying the data.

This is not the kind of thing that could ever put a dent in what Larry does.  To start with, he's not looking to track everything.  And secondly, the computer bot scraping the web doesn't know what it's scraping, so there may be ridiculous results unless it is moderated.

But if it works, it will be a useful supplement to Larry, and a big competition for people who only list the main stuff.  The cool thing about it --assuming it will work--is that it will track the history of music software deals.  After a few years, it could be very useful

https://musicsoftwaredeals.com/

Don't get hung up on whether it works perfectly or not.  It seems like he just started putting it together recently and it currently is a work-in-progress to show how it may work.  Although some of it already does work.

He started a post in VI:Control to get suggestions from people about what they would like in a site like this. 

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/im-building-an-automated-platform-that-lists-all-music-software-deals-in-one-place-with-price-history.119796/

What do you think?   If you have suggestions about it, now is the time to go to VI:Control and chime in.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Great Idea 1

Might be nice as long it's not a swamp of ads and click throughs.
There have been numerous sites that have previously tried this and I've always come back here because of the lovely company and minimal BS (ads, click throughs, spam, etc.)

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Really?  Scraping the internet with bots?  I'm not aware of any of them.  I'm curious about this history.

Everything I've seen so far  has been collected by human hands, like Larry, @Batwaffel, Don Bodin, rekkerd, etc.

TBH I don't know if any of them were scrapped with bots, in most cased definitely not.

I think this might be first time someone has attempted to fully automate this. Obviously its not super easy - creating the scrapers isn't too hard, but the tough part is managing the structure of the information we receive to ensure its uniform from all sources so that it can be correctly displayed.

That's the part we're working on right now to ensure that as we add a new source, we have the right rules in place to restructure the title, apply the right manufacturer (some people use "Harrison" whereas others use "Harrison Consoles" for example) etc.  All of this is totally do-able, it just takes some time in the beginning to get setup properly :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Music Software Deals said:

I think this might be first time someone has attempted to fully automate this. Obviously its not super easy - creating the scrapers isn't too hard, but the tough part is managing the structure of the information we receive to ensure its uniform from all sources so that it can be correctly displayed.

That's the part we're working on right now to ensure that as we add a new source, we have the right rules in place to restructure the title, apply the right manufacturer (some people use "Harrison" whereas others use "Harrison Consoles" for example) etc.  All of this is totally do-able, it just takes some time in the beginning to get setup properly :)

Edited by plugindeals