sustain pedal issue

dogufo

Question

Hi,  ... I am a kbd player; I´ve got a vintage synth Yamaha SY77 and a muted weighted kbd Fatar 88; both connected USB via MIDI interface Midisport 4x4 with notebook acer aspire (OS win 7 home 64 bit) to DAW software bandlab cakewalk v. 12.2021;

For each kbd a sustain pedal is connected; it´s weird because each pedal serves both kbd, not only the one to which it´s connected. In fact, when I play the muted kbd or the synth, both sustain pedals work for both of them. 

sorry; is that a midi controller configuration of the synth problem or something in the software settings which must be changed?

thanks in advance for your advices;

12 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Exactly what is your sustain pedal issue?

I use a sustain pedal with a PCR-800 MIDI controller.  On my configuration, this pedal is configured to transmit on CC64 (which is the MIDI standard for sustain)

thanks for your answer; my configuration is same as yours. I have two sustain pedals. Each of them are connected to one kbd (one muted and the synth). But both of them work for both kbd. that´s weird, I need that each pedal works only for the kbd it is connected to. But pls I can´t find what setting in Cakewalk I´d change to solve the issue?

2 minutes ago, dogufo said:

thanks for your answer; my configuration is same as yours. I have two sustain pedals. Each of them are connected to one kbd (one muted and the synth). But both of them work for both kbd. that´s weird, I need that each pedal works only for the kbd it is connected to. But pls I can´t find what setting in Cakewalk I´d change to solve the issue?

If you have two keyboards, then what you might want to do is set one to channel 1 and the other to channel 2

Then in Cakewalk, when you set up a MIDI track for a given keyboard, make sure you set It's MIDI channel appropriately rather than Omni.  Any MIDI track set to Onmi will respond to events regardless of the channel. (as long as the MIDI track’s local on is enabled)

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

22 minutes ago, Promidi said:

If you have two keyboards, then what you might want to do is set one to channel 1 and the other to channel 2

I don´t have two keyboards: I have one synth MIDI IN/OUT and one muted master keyboards MIDI OUT to the MIDI interface. 

Then in Cakewalk, when you set up a MIDI track for a given keyboard, make sure you set It's MIDI channel appropriately rather than Omni.  Any MIDI track set to Onmi will respond to events regardless of the channel. (as long as the MIDI track’s local on is enabled) The muted kbd is set on channel 1; the synth is set Omny, but still can´t solve the issue unfortunately. 😩

10 hours ago, dogufo said:

. . . I´ve got a vintage synth Yamaha SY77 and a muted weighted kbd Fatar 88. . . .

For each kbd a sustain pedal is connected . . . .

8 hours ago, Promidi said:

8 hours ago, dogufo said:

I don´t have two keyboards: I have one synth MIDI IN/OUT and one muted master keyboards MIDI OUT to the MIDI interface. 

@dogufo  Are you thinking that the SY77 doesn't qualify as a keyboard because it also includes a synth engine but the Fatar 88 is a keyboard because it is a controller without a built-in synth?

10 hours ago, dogufo said:

For each kbd a sustain pedal is connected; it´s weird because each pedal serves both kbd, not only the one to which it´s connected. In fact, when I play the muted kbd or the synth, both sustain pedals work for both of them. 

Unless you have them mapped or merged CCs are channelized.  AHA!!!  You posted a Track View image in a different thread.  

ScreenShot_20220125064508.jpeg

To me this image might suggest why your foot pedals affect  both tracks (as mentioned above re: [ I ] = Omni ).  But depending on your setup/routing, MIDI Output [ O ] might also be an issue.

If Track 1 [SY77] is also assigned to [ O ] 1-MIDI SPOR . . .   when you have the MIDI Echo Button set to ON for both Tracks 1 and 2, you are telling Cakewalk to merge the MIDI Data to whatever is connected to [ O ] 1-MIDI SPORT . . . .  

Not sure if this is part of the issue, but maybe.

Edited by User 905133
(3) to clarify a few poorly worded things; (2) To post a link to a relevant image from another thread; (1) To move the temporary reply in another thread to this one as it is off-topic there, but on-topic here
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, User 905133 said:

@dogufo  Are you thinking that the SY77 doesn't qualify as a keyboard because it also includes a synth engine but the Fatar 88 is a keyboard because it is a controller without a built-in synth?

Unless you have them mapped or merged CCs are channelized.  AHA!!!  You posted a Track View image in a different thread.  

ScreenShot_20220125064508.jpeg

To me this image might suggest why your foot pedals affect  both tracks (as mentioned above re: [ I ] = Omni ).  But depending on your setup/routing, MIDI Output [ O ] might also be an issue.

If Track 1 [SY77] is also assigned to [ O ] 1-MIDI SPOR . . .   when you have the MIDI Echo Button set to ON for both Tracks 1 and 2, you are telling Cakewalk to merge the MIDI Data to whatever is connected to [ O ] 1-MIDI SPORT . . . .  

Not sure if this is part of the issue, but maybe.

yes, that´s right, the pedals were merged, many thanks, in fact I unselected Echo Button of the synth SY77 and then each pedal returned to be "indipendent". But then to hear the sound of the synth, I had to turn the channel setting local to on, but I think that change caused me unfortunately, by playing, ...a stuck note! Please which is your suggestion to avoid stuck notes? turn both Echo Button on and leave the channel setting local to off (to turn off the internal generator of the synth)?

I have another question regarding the Echo button: what does it the "A automatic" (the small A which appears on the corner down rightof the button) mean?

I started to draft an answer with several possibilities, but first let me ask some diagnostic questions about your setup:

1. Are you playing one synth [the SY 77's synth engine] from two different keyboards [the Fatar and the SY 77], possibly at the same time? 
  2. If so, is the SY77's synth engine multitimbral? 
  3. If so, are you playing different sounds in the SY77? 
  4. If so, do you have the MIDI track inputs in Cakewalk [ I ] set to different MIDI Channels?
  5. Do you need MIDI data going from Cakewalk back to the Fatar? 
Edited by User 905133
To remove question 6 about the 4x4 since I found the manual online
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 4:05 PM, User 905133 said:

I started to draft an answer with several possibilities, but first let me ask some diagnostic questions about your setup:

many thanks for your focused questions: 

1. Are you playing one synth [the SY 77's synth engine] from two different keyboards [the Fatar and the SY 77], possibly at the same time? Yes, (the Fatar is a muted kbd)
  2. If so, is the SY77's synth engine multitimbral? Yes, it is 
  3. If so, are you playing different sounds in the SY77?  Yes of course
  4. If so, do you have the MIDI track inputs in Cakewalk [ I ] set to different MIDI Channels?  The SY77´s track in Cakewalk is set on MIDI omni, while the Fatar one is set to channel MIDI 1
  5. Do you need MIDI data going from Cakewalk back to the Fatar? No, the muted kbd Fatar has only 2 MIDI outs sockets;☺️  

8 hours ago, dogufo said:

@57Gregy Thanks, ...no I mean this one A:

ScreenShot_20220201020109.jpeg.61b8c9174bbb26aed732f94c5978e06d.jpeg

This appears when the local echo is on due to MIDI track being active and the setting "Always Echo Current MIDI Track" being enabled in Preferences | MIDI | Playback and Recording.

See:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x22B0A  (CTRL + F > "Always Echo Current MIDI Track.")

• Thanks 1