Just released my first lofi beat tape

Ewoof

14 minutes ago, jack c. said:

what is lofi sound in this track?i like the sounds but it needs to be longer and develop.jack c.

Seriously thank you for the feedback. I have honestly had trouble determining what genre these tracks and I felt like lofi was the closest to it. What do you think these tracks are closest to? 

this piece is a great template to use for growing to a bigger, more developed, yet still simple end result if that's what you are looking to do....the groove is nice but needs more music (sax, piano, vibes) and length....as to what genre to classify under, dunno....lo fi, acid jazz, trip hop 🎶🎹🥁🔊

• Like 1

Lo-fi (also typeset as lofi or low-fi; short for low fidelity) is a music or production quality in which elements usually regarded as imperfections of a recording or performance are audible, sometimes as a deliberate aesthetic choice. The standards of sound quality (fidelity) and music production have evolved throughout the decades, meaning that some older examples of lo-fi may not have been originally recognized as such. Lo-fi began to be recognized as a style of popular music in the 1990s, when it became alternately referred to as DIY music (from "do it yourself").

Harmonic distortion and "analog warmth" are sometimes misleadingly suggested as core features of lo-fi music.
It is characterised by the inclusion of elements normally viewed as undesirable in professional contexts, such as misplayed notes, environmental interference, or phonographic imperfections (degraded audio signals, tape hiss, and so on). Pioneering, influential, or otherwise significant artists include the Beach Boys (Smiley Smile), R. Stevie Moore (often called "the godfather of home recording"), Paul McCartney (McCartney), Todd Rundgren, Jandek, Daniel Johnston, Guided by Voices, Sebadoh, Beck, Pavement, and Ariel Pink.

Although "lo-fi" has been in the cultural lexicon for approximately as long as "high fidelity", WFMU disc jockey William Berger is usually credited with popularizing the term in 1986. At various points since the 1980s, "lo-fi" has been connected with cassette culture, the DIY ethos of punk, primitivism, outsider music, authenticity, slacker/Generation X stereotypes, and cultural nostalgia. The notion of "bedroom" musicians expanded following the rise of modern digital audio workstations, and in the late 2000s, lo-fi aesthetics served as the basis of the chillwave and hypnagogic pop music genres.[3]

Lot of people use the term without understanding what it is.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 3:46 AM, bjornpdx said:

What LarryT said above. It has an appealing sound to it that could be built upon.
-Bjorn

That's really good to know. You confirmed my gut feeling that maybe I need to add more. I'll keep not of that on future releases

As noted I hear the pseudo noise/hiss/vinyl scratch as the primary Lo-Fi element, not sure why it is needed but seem some like it.

As noted it is a beat, as I understand the beat genre it is very much intended to be used as a basis for others, or even yourself, to develop further.

Mix wise it works reasonable you have a good positive but controlled Kick and Bass.  Do you intend to develop it?

All of the above being correct in that I'm not sure if I can say I enjoyed it .. sort of, ....... there are bits of the l/f that were managed well and didn't go anywhere, musically  and other parts that didn't relate to your overall piece ... as said it's a start and worth a bit of time to engage with ... looking forward to the finished article ..

Steve