Clusters?

John Gessner

Question

Any way to notate a large cluster in Bandlab? I'm thinking specifically of a forearm on the black keys or white keys. I also use a percussive black keys f# through d# with the palmtop of the hand and some others. It's awkward writing our all the notes especially if the exact notes aren't necessary. I have seen several ways of notating this.

Thanks

John

4 answers to this question

14 hours ago, John Gessner said:

Any way to notate a large cluster in Bandlab? I'm thinking specifically of a forearm on the black keys or white keys. I also use a percussive black keys f# through d# with the palmtop of the hand and some others. It's awkward writing our all the notes especially if the exact notes aren't necessary. I have seen several ways of notating this.

Tone Clusters!!!!  I have used them, but not recently.  I don't have an answer for you, since I would just play them on my usb keyboard to enter the notes.  But for purposes of clarification, can we assume: (1) you are talking about Cakewalk by Bandlab (as opposed to Bandlab [the browser-based app]) and (2) you are using Cakewalk's Staff View?  I think you are, but based on the ambiguity, just wanted to ask.

I haven't done this since I don't use the PRV, but maybe you might find it helpful to enter the notes in the PRV and then delete the ones you don't want? (From "writing [out] all the notes" I infer you are using Staff View, but maybe not.)

UPDATE: Forgot to mention yesterday: I tried doing tone clusters my usual way (usb keyboard) as well as using the PRV and the virtual keyboard.  Its a matter of personal workflow choice, but to me putting tone clusters in via the PRV was easier than putting them in on the staff. 

Edited by User 905133
To add an update