Unify - Yamaha TX816 Factory Patches UNIFIED (Free)

abacab

Yamaha TX816 Factory Patches UNIFIED (w/Link)

All you need is PluginGuru Unify to use this. It leverages the bundled free Dexed DX7 FM synth emulation that Unify includes, and is able to load DX7 factory patches.

https://forums.pluginguru.com/unify-patchbook/yamaha-tx816-factory-patches-unified-w-link/

The TX816 was a rack synth with 8 DX7 modules. So Unify emulates this by using 8 layers of Dexed, with some custom tweaks by John "Skippy" Lehmkuhl, to make some big FM sounds!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, abacab said:

Yamaha TX816 Factory Patches UNIFIED (w/Link)

All you need is PluginGuru Unify to use this. It leverages the bundled free Dexed DX7 FM synth emulation that Unify includes, and is able to load DX7 factory patches.

https://forums.pluginguru.com/unify-patchbook/yamaha-tx816-factory-patches-unified-w-link/

The TX816 was a rack synth with 8 DX7 modules. So Unify emulates this by using 8 layers of Dexed, with some custom tweaks by John "Skippy" Lehmkuhl, to make some big FM sounds!

It does sound gggrrrrreaattttt! A no-brainer if you have Unify.  👍 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Oh, and I fondly remember that TX816. What a sweet module it was.

Skippy demonstrated the TX816 Unify patches on his livestream on Saturday. He mentioned that he had the original Yamaha unit, but with only 2 modules, because he couldn't afford all 8 at the time, which was something like $5,000.

His parents owned a music store at the time and had sent him and the store's piano tuner on a road trip to see a Yamaha demo of the DX. He was hooked on synth programming from that point on. He's a happy camper now that he can run all 8 modules! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Still have a Roland JV-1080 lying around of that era. Never unboxed. (I know, I know.)

I also have a vintage Roland JV-1080 in the closet, that I haven't hooked up in years... never could afford a DX7 either, LOL!

• Like 1

Also didn’t get a Roland D-50, for which I’m happy now, but I would have loved their JD-800. Got a measly Korg DS8 instead. And the first Alesis QuadraSynth, much later followed by a Fusion. Diving ITB is less expensive. But I did get that Sequential Take 5 last year. Couldn’t help myself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fleer said:

Diving ITB is less expensive

Truth!

I have an original Alesis QS6 from the 90's, and some other Roland gear, including an Roland XP-30, fully expanded. Had a Korg X2 Workstation at one point in the 90's.

Still haven't given in to the modern analog hardware renaissance. Not enough cash and space keeps me from buying, LOL! So ITB is my thing now! :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abacab said:

I also have a vintage Roland JV-1080 in the closet, that I haven't hooked up in years... never could afford a DX7 either, LOL!

I have two of them - both used by me a lot during the time I used Sonar. Now just decoration and paper weights since so many sounds are available through software. But I did use the JV-1080 on many of my previous songs.

oh, agreed the TX816 as a free addition with Unify is welcome indeed. Sounded great in the demo on Sat.

Edited by lawajava
  • Like 2

I still use my Roland XP-50, I actually had all of the surface mount capacitors replaced as they had started leaking, what an amazing job the tech performed, it is good as new. There is something about that XP sound that had a punch to it.  The closest thing I have to a physical DX7, is a TX7, which is sort of a desktop DX7 module, RX11 Drum Machine, and an Emu Proteus. I had a Korg DW8000 for a short time.

Having the TX816 available in Unify is really amazing and a lot of fun rediscovering those massive FM layers.

• Like 2