Strange repeat issue.

Metaphasic

Question

Hi all! I hope this question is in the right place.

Scenario: I'm using a fully up to date installation. I have two step sequencer patterns, one after the other. The first one is a crash cymbal followed by a bunch of hi hats. The second is just hi hats.

Issue: When the second pattern play, I hear a crash cymbal where I shouldn't.

Notes: I made sure the patterns aren't linked, and the preview does NOT show a crash cymbal where I am hearing it. There are NO effects, such as echo, in the effects bin. I made sure that no other track was routed to the VST I'm using. I even put the track on solo to try and isolate the source. This is pretty important, as I'm doing a project for someone and need to get this out the door.

5 answers to this question

As a test, I used addictive drums to replicate your Scenario.

2 stepped clips, the first starting with a crash and hi-hats.  The second stepped clip with just the hi-hats.

I put the second clip straight after the first clip.  Pressed play.  It played as I expected. 

No crash cymbal sounded when the second clip played.

One thing I can think of is this. 

You know how you can drag the right edge of a stepped clip to repeat the clip.  Well, I am wondering if you inadvertently started a drag of the first clip's right edge to start a repetition. Zoom into the first clip to make sure there are no repeats.

I was able to replicate your issue by dragging the right edge of the first clip.   Once I did this, then the crash sounded at the play back of the second clip.

• Like 2

? Not sure why you would need the step sequencer to create a hi hat and crash pattern.  Most would just draw the notes in the PVR or actually play them and record them using a Controller or the Virtual Keyboard. Or drag a MIdi loop of a pattern to a amidi track, The step sequencer takes a bit more knowledge to master.  One should not have deadlines for creating with tools they have yet to master? 

• Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, John Vere said:

? Not sure why you would need the step sequencer to create a hi hat and crash pattern.  Most would just draw the notes in the PVR or actually play them and record them using a Controller or the Virtual Keyboard. Or drag a MIdi loop of a pattern to a amidi track, The step sequencer takes a bit more knowledge to master.  One should not have deadlines for creating with tools they have yet to master? 

That's a bit of an assumption there...

I've been using drum machines for forty years. That's how I was introduced to step sequencers. I've been using Cakewalk since version 1.0 way back in the 90's. Naturally, I took to using the step sequencer with drum VSTs, as that's what I was familiar with. However, I never tried running a CAL script on patterns before due to being mostly OCD and needed things perfect (too perfect some might say). Not knowing that the script would push events beyond the boundaries of the pattern wasn't unexpected, but not because I haven't mastered either the step-sequencer or cakewalk. I had simply never tried that particular thing before. I have, literally, never asked a support question before, in all that time.

Edited by Metaphasic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Metaphasic said:

That's a bit of an assumption there...

I've been using drum machines for forty years. That's how I was introduced to step sequencers. I've been using Cakewalk since version 1.0 way back in the 90's. Naturally, I took to using the step sequencer with drum VSTs, as that's what I was familiar with. However, I never tried running a CAL script on patterns before due to being mostly OCD and needed things perfect (too perfect some might say). Not knowing that the script would push events beyond the boundaries of the pattern wasn't unexpected, but not because I haven't mastered either the step-sequencer or cakewalk. I had simply never tried that particular thing before. I have, literally, never asked a support question before, in all that time.

Dont stress too much. Some here think just because you have +0 Community reputation points that the member is New to Cakewalk or have no knowledge of the daw. It's just a misconception on reality in the realm of the internet. Millions use Cakewalk for years, but only discover its forum today. 

Might be new to the forum, yes. Definitely not the DAW. 

I'm not trying to disrespect anyone. So, my apologies if this leans towards that area. 

• Like 2