Among the Outer Planets - Piano, synth, and strings

jwnicholson78

Not too long ago, I played both the PC Games, Hollow Knight and Ori and the Will of the Wisps. In addition to being incredible games, they both had beautiful soundtracks.  I was trying to write something that captured the feel of those songs. 

A few years ago, I wrote a tune called To the Outer Planets.  For reasons known only to Google's algorithms, it has recently racked about 40,000 views.  So.  In a shameless bid to take advantage of that, I have named this one Among the Outer Planets.  :)  As always, I appreciate any feedback you might have.

Also, this was inspired by the planet themed songs that were being posted by Wookie and others not too long ago.

Jeff

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 2

I Really enjoyed that and wasn't ready for it to end. Nice touch putting in the oriental sounding phrases. Great photos as well . One thing I didn't like was , I recently did a song about living on a Mars colony and just noticed , I referred to one of the moons of  "Saturn".       Very Nice ..    mark

• Like 1

I like it! Hypnotic and calming, and builds rather nicely. Very enjoyable listen.

One detail that I noticed -- is there a ghost of a hint of clipping or distortion in the right channel at certain parts? eg: I noticed something around the 0:16 to 0:24 mark and a little afterwards. Very subtle and at the edge of hearing, just the slightest hint of crackle...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I Really enjoyed that and wasn't ready for it to end. Nice touch putting in the oriental sounding phrases. Great photos as well . One thing I didn't like was , I recently did a song about living on a Mars colony and just noticed , I referred to one of the moons of  "Saturn".       Very Nice ..    mark

Thanks!  My nine year old pointed out right before  I was about to post the video that I got one of the names of the moons wrong, so I dodged, that bullet :)

2 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Look at all the magnificent things science has done for mankind.  Reminded me of being in a planetarium, great sound track

Thanks.  I found it amazing when I was browsing the NASA sight how many wonderful images were there.  It's pretty awe inspiring.  Some of these pictures were taken almost 50 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

I like it! Hypnotic and calming, and builds rather nicely. Very enjoyable listen.

One detail that I noticed -- is there a ghost of a hint of clipping or distortion in the right channel at certain parts? eg: I noticed something around the 0:16 to 0:24 mark and a little afterwards. Very subtle and at the edge of hearing, just the slightest hint of crackle...

Thanks.  I really appreciate the critical listening and feedback.  There was some crackle around the 2 minute mark.  I have updated the video and I think I got it all.

On 1/22/2022 at 8:40 PM, DeeringAmps said:

Good stuff!

42k+ views on To The Outer Planets; I'm impressed!

t

Thanks.  I'm pretty sure the views are because of the name and picture, and not so much about the quality of the song. It slowly got linked to more and more videos about the solar system, Honestly, I'm not all that fond of it anymore.  I would do a lot of it differently now.

It was fun to watch the view count shoot up, though 🤣

Jeff

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 3:45 AM, bjornpdx said:

Wonderful music. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
NASA has great images on their website.
-Bjorn

Thanks.  I had a lot of fun poking around on NASA's sight looking for images to use.  It really is awe inspiring how much they have accomplished over the last few decades.

Jeff

Edited by jwnicholson78