Orchestrators: You Should Know this YT channel

bitflipper

I know there are some serious orchestrators here, and this content isn't targeted at them. This will appeal more to the casual composer who just dabbles in pseudo-classical genres. Like me.

Anne-Kathrin Dern is a working composer out of Los Angeles, originally from Germany (like another famous composer we all know and love, whose company she once worked for). Her background includes creating sample libraries for CineSamples, so she's very knowledgeable about that stuff.   

She's been doing this quite a while, despite her apparent young age. No, you won't recognize most of the movies she's done; they are third-tier flicks like Hallmark Christmas specials and kid's shows. But she's done a lot of them, makes a living at it and knows her sh*t.

The channel's content ranges from orchestration/composition tips to library reviews to how-to techniques to the recording process. It's the latter category I find most interesting, as she explains how a cue gets from ITB mockup to live orchestra.

Plus she's way cuter than Rick Beato.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, craigb said:

Ok, ok... Fine.  I liked it too! 🙄

😉

I tried. I kept dozing off. It's too slow paced for me and her voice is so mellow she puts me right to sleep. I skipped around the video a little and the parts I landed on all make logical sense when mixing a lot of vocals together like that. I've done faux choirs a few times and I had to fix the things she mentioned where I landed in her video. She has a lot of great info in there.

My number one complaint about all youtubers now is they know they have to have video's of a certain length so their video's show up in peoples recommended list. They drag them out now by either talking slow or rambling on about useless crap. You would think in this world of ADD and ever shortening attention spans that it would be just the opposite. I've seen her other video's coming up in my recommended list for a couple weeks now, then I saw this one before Bit posted it. Funny how all this stuff works. According to my youtube history I watched the first few minutes of her 1 voice video 2 weeks ago.

33 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

My number one complaint about all youtubers now is they know they have to have video's of a certain length so their video's show up in peoples recommended list. They drag them out now by either talking slow or rambling on about useless crap. 

I watch 95% of all videos at 1.5x speed now.  No time for all that slow talking!

• Great Idea 1