New DAW advice.

Shane_B.

38 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

what are the crypto miners mining?

bitcoin or similar crypto-currencies. perhaps because GPU processing power is typically an underutilized resource which can be used in parallel to crank on them blockchains?

Edited by jackson white

I was reading that you can get video cards at normal retail price. You have to contact the manufacturers via their websites and get on a waiting list. You can get the new Playstation 5 directly from Sony this way too. I've read it's less than a month waiting period. It's a pain but it is possible once again to get these things.

That said I'm done. I no longer have the desire to DIY this stuff. I used to love it and thanks to Jim's help on these forums my last 2 DAWs I built ran flawlessly but I just don't want to deal with it. I even have an available gift card balance with New Egg I've never used.

8 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

That said I'm done. I no longer have the desire to DIY this stuff. I used to love it and thanks to Jim's help on these forums my last 2 DAWs I built ran flawlessly but I just don't want to deal with it. I even have an available gift card balance with New Egg I've never used.

The BIG question is - what's your budget? 

If money is not a problem (if so, lucky you) then get someone to build your dream system for you. But if money IS an issue, you might want to also factor in future costs at this stage.

You mentioned that you use sonar stock instruments such as Dimension and Session Drummer. Here's a reality check - I was using them on a 2 core laptop with 4 GB RAM and 60gb memory for years .... and they ran smoothly. You could buy a second hand system from 2017 and be able to run the music setup you've currently got without a hitch. Sooooo, if you are building this mega beast, sooner or later you're going to want to feed the beast more powerful plugins. This is where the expense comes in. Kontakt? If you don't already own it, straight out the box that's about 200 bucks. Libraries for contact? from between 50 to sky's-the-limit. Spitfire libraries? From 29 buck to eye-wateringly-expensive. Then all those effects in the deals section.  Basically, once you've got the power under the hood, sooner or later you're going to want to use that power, so budget for that. But if you have no intention of upgrading your music system.... Well, I can't see the point of all that power for music. Just buy a second hand laptop and make tunes on the move.... And look cool doing it. 😎

19 hours ago, paulo said:

I always figured that the only people who think that those people look cool are those people.😀

Certainly cooler than a guy in an orthopedic chair staring at a screen. 😁

This is what people think they look like 😎:

https://images.app.goo.gl/y4fUebYranRcR1vq7

This is what they actually look like 😵:

https://images.app.goo.gl/Z4cT6LS5QAPxx1nHA

Edited by Philip G Hunt