CC Events in Articulation Maps

Bob Ouellette

Hello there --

I'm trying to use articulation maps to control my EW Hollywood Orchestra, and I've successfully been able to switch from one articulation to the next.  However, I've noticed that CC events, such as CC11-Expression, are NOT being transformed to the specific MIDI channel where the targeted articulation is loaded.

Here's the map:

map-editor.thumb.png.bb7f603e87bd62706477ba5031bb7018.png

You'll see that the "PF Trill WT" articulation is transformed to MIDI Channel 5.  I've used the MIDI Transforms map as a source, duplicated it, and renamed the channels accordingly.

Now the test clip I recorded:

console.thumb.png.00ffbe13c3e1a9582be741316e0f2a34.png

You can see how I have the articulations selected, with the third being the trill on channel 5 highlighted above.  You will also see an automation lane for this specific MIDI channel, which alters the CC11-Expression parameter.

When I play back this test recording, I hear the first articulation ("PF Sus") change in dynamics down to 0 and back, then the articulation changes to the Staccatissimo articulation for three notes, which sound at the appropriate dynamic, but then when the trill kicks in for the final note, the automation does not register at all.  It remains constant at the initial volume, despite the automation line bringing it down to 0, and the articulation map seemingly set to transform all CC events all to Channel 5.

Am I doing something incorrect here?  I've conferred with the documentation, but I can't seem to find any explanation on what I'm doing wrong, or what I might have missed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Edited for spelling mistakes.

Edited by Bob Ouellette

11 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

IIRC articulation transforms cannot change automation, only events coming from the MIDI track.

It seems odd that you would have an articulation simply to force the MIDI channel though. Why not just set the MIDI channel override in the track itself?

To answer your second question, it boils down to a couple of things:

1. It allows me to record a single line for the instrument, and switch articulations note-by-note, as appropriate.
  2. Having a MIDI controller track also allows me to have multiple instruments in a single OPUS instance, saving some CPU.  Such as:

track-list.thumb.JPG.9708ebaa48bc2dd5a445b836454f7992.JPG

As you can see, in one instance I have all my piccolo articulations, my solo flute articulations, and my flute ensemble articulations, each group with its own Aux Track as a SUM and its own MIDI controller track.  This is why I assigned the automation to the MIDI track, so that it would carry over to all the articulations it points to, into the SUM.

2 minutes ago, Bob Ouellette said:

To answer your second question, it boils down to a couple of things:

1. It allows me to record a single line for the instrument, and switch articulations note-by-note, as appropriate.
  2. Having a MIDI controller track also allows me to have multiple instruments in a single OPUS instance, saving some CPU.  Such as:

As you can see, in one instance I have all my piccolo articulations, my solo flute articulations, and my flute ensemble articulations, each group with its own Aux Track as a SUM and its own MIDI controller track.  This is why I assigned the automation to the MIDI track, so that it would carry over to all the articulations it points to, into the SUM.

Thanks for the explanation - this makes sense.

In that case, best to leave the Track MIDI Channel unassigned.  You just need to make sure the MIDI channel assigned to the CC11 automation is the one you actually want.

You can use Assign Envelope to change the MIDI channel, or Copy and Assign Envelope to copy it to a different channel.

Just now, Bob Ouellette said:

OK, thanks --

Just to be clear, you're saying that I'd have to have another automation lane for the different MIDI channel -- in my original example, I'd need another automation lane for Channel 5 to go with the first for Channel 1.

Correct?

Yes - correct.

• Thanks 1