Setting recording levels

dwf2008

I am using cakewalk in combination with a zoom L12 mixer which is connected via usb.   Channels 1-10  on the mixer have a gain pot which controls how much signal is sent to cakewalk thus establishing the recording level. Channels 11/12 and 13/14 are stereo channels and do not have a gain control. I have a stereo keyboard inputting via channels 11/12 and it records ok, but the level is very very low. So much so that the waveform does not even show up in the track display.  So my question is . . . How do I adjust the record level within the cakewalk software? The faders in the cakewalk mixer don’t seem to have any effect.

Thanks

Recording levels have to be set with your hardware device. 

You've two choices here:

1. Raise the volume of your keyboard and/or the output of your mixer; or

2. Once you've recorded, increase the volume of the clip by normalizing it.  Modern devices have a very small noise floor, and if you're recording in 24 bit, the dynamic range should be fine even at low volume levels.

You shouldn't be aiming for a loud recording though as this gives you very little room for adjustments during mixing.  An average level of -18dbfs should be fine.

Even in the final mix, it's ok to have a relatively quiet final mix - you can raise it at the mastering stage once your mix is done.  Again, this gives you far more control at the mastering stage.

Always start with the mixer. If you plug anything into a channel and it doesn’t have input gain this is because that channel has a set impedance designed to connect to certain devices. Those devices all have there own levels so that’s where you start. 
Make sure you’re keyboard is turned up at least to unity or 3/4. This might need a closer look inside the settings as there might be more than one place the level is set. 
This should show as a healthy level in the track meter ( nice feature) 
Now set the mixer master volume to unity (0)
The master output level meter should match Cakewalks  track meter. If it doesn’t, find the spot that you need and mark it. If it is way off then that’s not normal. 

If that channel of the mixer is not showing a healthy level then there is an impedance miss match. 

When everything is set up properly faders should be near unity . Any fader that needs to be pushed to max needs something corrected with the source. You'll be risking adding noise otherwise. 

I have a feeling the issue is with the keyboard might not be loud enough. 

Edited by John Vere

Those channels are probably meant to be used with line-level devices. I have similar channels on my Yamaha mixer and use them with an MP3 player at venues that don't have music for intermissions.

The easiest solution is to move your keyboard to two of the other channels (1-10) and pan them hard L/R, as suggested by 57Gregy. (Except that channel 1 should be left and channel 2 should be right, as nature intended :D)

If all your other channels are already spoken for, then an inexpensive preamp could also solve your dilemma.

Can you just crank up the volume in Cakewalk? Sure. But you'll also be cranking up the noise floor, which may or may not be an issue, depending on how quiet your mixer is.

• Like 2

I've had dozens of Mixers that have those type of Stereo channels including my little Mackie Mix 8 I use just to patch in my Korg 05/rw and my Roland 505. Never had an issue with level. Ya, a little quieter than a channel with a pre amp, but then I guess it depends on the mixer and the zoom just might be a little bit different that way. 

In my world of doing sound for 30+ years it's always been like this

XLR mike inputs are low Impedance obviously used for signals from mikes or DI boxes. 

But modern mixers use combi jacks and either a Toggle or /and a Pad to allow Instrument or Line level as well.

The Instrument setting or dedicated inputs marked as such on both mixers and Audio interfaces,  are for Accoustic Guitars with pre amps built in. But I also have no problem with keyboards/ Hardware synths, drum machines,  or Electric guitars via a pedal board. 

Line Level I've use for consummer playback devices including Laptops as well as some Keyboards, Drum Machines and digital pianos, once again not all are exactly the same.   Of course if the mixer is not within 10-15 feet,  you use a DI box and a snake.  Those Stereo inputs are useless for a snake set ups so only see use as playback or a outboard effect units return. They generally don't have as much gain because of the lack a pre amp therefore the Impediance miss match.  So your out of luck as Bit Flipper has pointed out and a Pre amp is needed.  

The way to test is set the fader at unity and turn the keyboard to unity and see were the level is at.