Freehand Lasso Select

jeffythedragonslayer

Question

8 answers to this question

On 1/19/2022 at 7:13 PM, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Are there any other DAWs that support freehand lasso, that I can use to complement Cakewalk?

So that you could presumably export your work from Cakewalk to the other DAW when you want to do lasso-y things and then back into Cakewalk? That sounds like a lot of trouble to go through.

The kind of tool you're talking about is something that I've only ever seen in pixel editor programs like Photoshop.

If it's a huge deal for you, you can search and try to find another DAW that has it (as I said, I've only ever seen it in paint programs and the like), or just get better with the one that's in Cakewalk. Some things that make it more versatile are first and foremost, selecting with the right mouse button instead of the Select Tool saves a LOT of switching back and forth, second, the Ctrl and Shift keys follow the Windows conventions for selecting and excluding multiple elements. So if you want to select 10 clips in a track, select the first one, then hold Shift and click on the last one and both of those clips and all of the ones between them will be selected.

Similarly, if you mess up and select a note or notes that you didn't mean to select in the Piano Roll, you can use the Ctrl key to remove them from your selection without having to start the whole selection over again.

Right mouse button, get good with your modifiers, and your selecting workflow should get pretty quick.

As with many things in the venerable and powerful Cakewalk, it improves with practice, and maybe it won't be implemented exactly as you would do it, but the way is usually there.

• Great Idea 2

By the way Jeff, You asked this question in my Comments of the # 12  Working with Midi tracks tutorial-    " what's an MST file?"  :09 in video. 

The screen at that point is showing an Atari sequencer not sure which compamy,   and yes there is a MST module in there. I used to know what that was and possibly someone else might know. But what ever it was is long gone. Google isn't much help. MST is a MIcrosoft file or Mountain Standard time. There is a reference to this https://web.mst.edu/~hilgers/classes/CS228/machine.html

So it might stand for Machine Floating Point and was a preclude to MTC or MMC for syncing tape machines to the sequencer?  

Screenshot (295).png

Edited by John Vere