Soundpaint Mello D

cclarry

My sample/content drive is full, and I recently bought a replacement SSD to double my sample content space. But I haven't installed it yet.

That has definitely slowed down my buying, LOL! :)

I really like the Soundpaint platform, but not really too crazy about buying any more sampled synths and the GBs of storage space they consume (thinking of you Syntronik). I think samples from the real world are much more useful. Like acoustic instruments and found sounds...

Edited by abacab

10 hours ago, kevin H said:

I’m starting to appreciate more and more modeled instruments like modo bass, pianoteq, etc with smaller footprints.

Modobass is a hell of an instrument. Pretty much replaced all of my electric / acoustic bass libraries. Very impressed with that thing. Although bass is probably one of the easier instruments to emulate - and easier to bury in a mix if it doesn't sound 100% perfect. Like Mododrum as well, but definitely limited in its capabilities. 

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, kevin H said:

I’m starting to appreciate more and more modeled instruments like modo bass, pianoteq, etc with smaller footprints.

MODO Bass and The Arturia V Collection 8 have me sold on that idea! An extensive bass and keyboard collection with hardly any footprint compared with sample libraries. I did have to add samples for a decent upright acoustic bass, however.

But orchestral and band instrument samples will still probably be required for now and the foreseeable future. But never say never! :)

Just now, PavlovsCat said:

I would get this if it went on sale. But Troel's says SoundPaint libraries will never go on sale. Anyone want to bet how long that will be the case?  

Does that mean you think the library is worth less than $50? I understand the appeal of looking for deals (I mean I am here, after all) but I have to say this no pressure, no FOMO approach has been nice for me.

30 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I would get this if it went on sale. But Troel's says SoundPaint libraries will never go on sale. Anyone want to bet how long that will be the case?  

I wouldn't venture a timeline, but I would venture that we'll start to see certain incentives down the road, like buy one and get X free, or something like that, that initially doesn't discount the price per se, but provides additional content or peoducts. Could be wrong, but I've seen others promise similar things that backpedaled once they wanted to increase their income.

7 hours ago, Steve Madden said:

Does that mean you think the library is worth less than $50? I understand the appeal of looking for deals (I mean I am here, after all) but I have to say this no pressure, no FOMO approach has been nice for me.

I'm saying that history -- and Troels' 8Dio history  -- leads me to anticipate future sales promotions of some sort.  Why? Eventually sales will slow and they'll want to motivate consumers to make a purchase in a short time  frame for a variety of reasons,  including paying the bills.  Promotions are one of the ways a retailer can drive revenue on their schedule. I write that as a strategist who has, a long time ago, was called on by Troels. I think the trendy anti sales strategy he's now employing is never going to be a serious long term strategy for almost any retail business. 

For the group of consumers who complain when they see a sale after they make a purchase,  I would suggest therapy. Dead serious, it's ridiculous and neurotic. Yes, everyone has bought something that later went on sale for less. It's not a big deal for an adult and doing a business strategy around those consumers is worse than silly because they're eventually going to do promotions which will irritate those customers. Guaranteed.  Let's check back in a year. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

Because I knew soundpaint didn’t have any sales, I completely ignored it during the black friday/end of year sales period because I wanted to maximize my spending on the bigger sales.  I agree with Scott we are likely to see some incentives eventually.  The libraries are not too expensive which is good. Somewhere I read that they had 1000 libraries planned or something crazy like that.

1000 * $50 = $50,000

i really hope they are planning sales hahah

1000 * 40GB average = 40 terabytes

and good ssd sales hahah

19 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm saying that history -- and Troels' 8Dio history  -- leads me to anticipate future sales promotions of some sort.  Why? Eventually sales will slow and they'll want to motivate consumers to make a purchase in a short time  frame for a variety of reasons,  including paying the bills.  Promotions are one of the ways a retailer can drive revenue on their schedule. I write that as a strategist who has, a long time ago, was called on by Troels. I think the trendy anti sales strategy he's now employing is never going to be a serious long term strategy for almost any retail business. 

For the group of consumers who complain when they see a sale after they make a purchase,  I would suggest therapy. Dead serious, it's ridiculous and neurotic. Yes, everyone has bought something that later went on sale for less. It's not a big deal for an adult and doing a business strategy around those consumers is worse than silly because they're eventually going to do promotions which will irritate those customers. Guaranteed.  Let's check back in a year. 

I can see that, and honestly, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see them backpedal on offering deals. 8dio is one of the "dealsiest" vendors I know and it's hard to believe they'll hold this stance forever. 

The difference, I think, is they have a bunch of libraries they've sampled for 8dio they're now converting over to Soundpaint. I would think the biggest cost associated would be time spent. That, plus the fact they're not paying kontakt licensing fees on these products, makes me think they could very well stick to their guns. They still have sales available through 8dio, so that might be enough to scratch their sales itch.