How to disable note audition in PRV?

tulamide

Question

I hope this is simple to answer and I'm just too stupid to find the option. But I'm really annoyed by those crescendos of half-steps over two octaves! I know which note I place where and why. I don't need to hear it. On top, this behaviour is so counter-productive when playing while editing. And finally, many plugins react with stuck notes doing it. So, where is this simple little switch to turn note audition off? I don't care if I have to edit an ini file or go deep into Cakewalk's kernel, as long as the notes remain silent when moving afterwards!

Thank you so much in advance!

Edited by tulamide

13 answers to this question

1 hour ago, scook said:

Try the mute button on the track

I would, but I can't hear the track then playing while I edit. I just want the notes in the PRV to be silent when editing them. (so when shifted, dragged, moved, etc.) That is standard in other DAWs I use, but I can't find the option in Cakewalk.

Edited by tulamide

I think he just means that if you click on note C5 in the PRV and then move your mouse up to C6, you get to hear every note along the way. I'm pretty sure there's no way to turn off note preview when you click in the PRV. @scook's solution of muting the track is probably the only way to silence it.

I've never had a problem with it, but it would probably be an easy task to add an option to one of the PRV menus to enable/disable the preview (?)

(I think OP meant to say glissando rather than crescendo 😁)

Edited by Variorum
  • Like 1

Got it, good observation.  But they add that option and ten minutes later someone will be here complaining that they used to hear the notes and now they don’t because it got toggled off. The more features you add the more can go wrong. 
I like that feature because I use it to drag the note to the one I “hear” in my head. In other words I use my ears more than my eyes to create chords or correct mistakes 

• Like 1

Now this has me wondering why someone who knows "which note I place where and why" needs to be dragging them all over the place.

Not to mention that even after four semesters of music theory, I have no idea what  a "crescendo of half-steps over two octaves" is supposed to be.

Nor can I recall having ever experienced stuck notes whilst editing in the PRV.

• Meh 1

Wow, that's really interesting. Instead of answering a simple question, you decide to judge the op and talk the question down. And that in the Q&A section. Are you just ignorant and arrogant, or is there also idiocy in there? Thanks for nothing, and good job!

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

Nah, I'm just not fluent in gibberish.

If you don't use technical language correctly you shouldn't really get offended if people don't understand what you're talking about.

You have a wonderful evening. I need to get back to my latest project; it just so happens I am adding some crescendos at key points to make the melody more expressive.