new MIDI tracks recording other, already recorded MIDI synth data?!?

Jason Halogen

This is a huge problem, hopefully someone has figured out the solution. 

I'm setting my MIDI input on new tracks to just the controller (Oxygen 88, in my case) and when I start to record a new synth performance, MIDI data from *other MIDI tracks on other instruments* is being automatically printed into the new MIDI track. Obviously this is a terminal issue. I can't be laying down a drum pattern and have the nice atmospheric synths triggering different drums on playback unless I go in and meticulously erase every note that was somehow imported from the other tracks.

Anyone else having this issue?

@Jason Halogen

This has never happened to me and never happens, although my keyboard is different. But I'm pretty sure your problem is that you've set the wrong MIDI input parameters on the tracks. You need to select for ALL tracks "Oxygen 88 Omni", almost completely sure that your problem will be solved. In addition, you should definitely arrange the outputs in all MIDI channels on each track by ascending numbers, because of this, confusion can also occur.

• Like 1

Not to be an *****, but the solution is to utilize the doccumentation, maybe watch a tutorial or two and learn how to do things before just winging it and getting frustrated....

This is happening because you don't have your MIDI channels set up correctly.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Dialogs2.058.html

Edited by bdickens

Often the result of the record enabled track input set to "All Inputs - MIDI Omni" and a synth plug-in with "Enable MIDI Output" turned on. Change the input and/or check the VST2/3 drop down in the standard header above the plug-in UI 

M9I2IRu.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bdickens said:

Not to be an *****, but the solution is to utilize the doccumentation, maybe watch a tutorial or two and learn how to do things before just winging it and getting frustrated....

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Dialogs2.058.html

I've been recording and releasing music made with Cakewalk products since 2003, so while I appreciate the advice, the attitude really isn't necessary.

Edited by Jason Halogen

7 hours ago, IgoRr said:

@Jason Halogen

This has never happened to me and never happens, although my keyboard is different. But I'm pretty sure your problem is that you've set the wrong MIDI input parameters on the tracks. You need to select for ALL tracks "Oxygen 88 Omni", almost completely sure that your problem will be solved. In addition, you should definitely arrange the outputs in all MIDI channels on each track by ascending numbers, because of this, confusion can also occur.

thanks, I'll look into this - never happened before Dec '21!

2 hours ago, scook said:

Often the result of the record enabled track input set to "All Inputs - MIDI Omni" and a synth plug-in with "Enable MIDI Output" turned on. Change the input and/or check the VST2/3 drop down in the standard header above the plug-in UI 

M9I2IRu.png

Thank you, I'll check this out! It's a new issue, and I've been using Cakewalk products for about 19 years.

7 hours ago, IgoRr said:

@Jason Halogen

thank you, that's how the inputs are set - outputs are simply routed to the corresponding synth. I'll look into this as well.

I doubt it is related to 2021.12 but there is an easy way to test. Roll back to the previous release and see if the problem still exists. For some time now, a rollback installer link is in every release announcement.

When encountering issues known to be related to the current release, the best approach is posting the problem in the feedback thread for the release. Here is the feedback thread for 2021.12.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scook said:

I doubt it is related to 2021.12 but there is an easy way to test. Roll back to the previous release and see if the problem still exists. For some time now, a rollback installer link is in every release announcement.

When encountering issues known to be related to the current release, the best approach is posting the problem in the feedback thread for the release. Here is the feedback thread for 2021.12.

appreciated, and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area. Long time user, seldom-if-ever poster.

What "attitude?" 

Nobody else seems to have this problem.

Nothing in your OP indicates you have any experience whatsoever with DAWs at all, let alone Cakewalk. Your whole post screams newbie and your issue is the exact sort of thing that happens to people who don't bother to RTFM, start stumbling around blindly and then don't get the results they expect.

Edited by bdickens

4 hours ago, bdickens said:

What "attitude?" 

Nobody else seems to have this problem.

Nothing in your OP indicates you have any experience whatsoever with DAWs at all, let alone Cakewalk. Your whole post screams newbie and your issue is the exact sort of thing that happens to people who don't bother to RTFM, start stumbling around blindly and then don't get the results they expect.

Here's one of many songs I've produced, in Cakewalk. I've recorded dozens of records for my own projects and others, in Cakewalk, not that it matters... In my experience, people come to help forums because they've got an issue that they think might be easily fixed by interacting with other people, which is what I did, and in my case it was a simple part of the program I'd never had to deal with before, and someone quickly and easily pointed it out. *shrug*

Fun side note: You were wrong, it was a setting in the synths that I'd never dealt with before. But still, I appreciate your suggestion.

Not sure where the attitude comes from, but it's on an awful lot of your replies in these threads, and it's a shame that it's manifesting in a help forum. Hope you like the tune.

https://youtu.be/e7kfr_LWvtc

Edited by Jason Halogen

8 hours ago, scook said:

M9I2IRu.png

This was exactly it, thank you! In almost two decades of using Cakewalk DAWs I'd literally never come across this problem before, or even had a compelling reason to pull down that menu. Thanks again.

An easy fix. Glad it worked for you.

This is not new. The problem started in 2013 with the release of SONAR X3.

At that time, the default for "Enable MIDI Output" changed. Any synth capable of sending MIDI data has "Enable MIDI Output" turned on.

This along with "Always Echo Current MIDI Track" defaulting to enabled caught many users. This setting changes track inputs to Omni if they were set to None. 

Starting with CbB 2021.01, if a project contains any plug-in with "Enable MIDI Output" turned on, instead of switch None to Omni, the DAW switches to "All External Inputs Omni", a new input option. This way the user has to actively select an input capable of picking MIDI data from plug-ins.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scook said:

An easy fix. Glad it worked for you.

This is not new. The problem started in 2013 with the release of SONAR X3.

At that time, the default for "Enable MIDI Output" changed. Any synth capable of sending MIDI data has "Enable MIDI Output" turned on.

This along with "Always Echo Current MIDI Track" defaulting to enabled caught many users. This setting changes track inputs to Omni if they were set to None. 

Starting with CbB 2021.01, if a project contains any plug-in with "Enable MIDI Output" turned on, instead of switch None to Omni, the DAW switched to All External Inputs Omni. a new input option. This way the user has to actively select an input capable of picking MIDI from plug-ins.

Yeah, I skipped X3, I think. I'm actually surprised I never ran into this before! Anyway, thanks so much. And I'll try to post something in the right place next time I have an issue. :)

Just now, Jason Halogen said:

And I'll try to post something in the right place next time I have an issue. :)

This is not a big deal, however; the devs monitor the current feedback thread closely.

Posting issues with the current release in the feedback thread may get a faster reply and a fix, if it truly is a current release issue.

This one, of course, is not unique to 2021.12.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scook said:

This is not a big deal, however; the devs monitor the current feedback thread closely.

Posting issues with the current release in the feedback thread may get a faster reply and a fix, if it truly is a current release issue.

This one, of course, is not unique to 2021.12.

Totally get it - like I said, long-time user, seldom poster. I actually worked there in another life. BTW, Chris B. says hi.

2 hours ago, Jason Halogen said:

Here's one of many songs I've produced, in Cakewalk. I've recorded dozens of records for my own projects and others, in Cakewalk, not that it matters... In my experience, people come to help forums because they've got an issue that they think might be easily fixed by interacting with other people, which is what I did, and in my case it was a simple part of the program I'd never had to deal with before, and someone quickly and easily pointed it out. *shrug*

Fun side note: You were wrong, it was a setting in the synths that I'd never dealt with before. But still, I appreciate your suggestion.

Not sure where the attitude comes from, but it's on an awful lot of your replies in these threads, and it's a shame that it's manifesting in a help forum. Hope you like the tune.

https://youtu.be/e7kfr_LWvtc

You should put this in the songs subforum.

I checked it out. Honestly, I didn't like it that much, but that is just a taste thing. It is very good, just not my style.

I thought it was very well done. You know a mix is good when it sounds great on the phone speaker. The intro with those sound effects was interesting. I thought it was really clever how it sets up a radically different set of expectations than what the body of the song is really like.  Bringing them back in later gives continuity.

What I really liked was the video itself. How did you do the animation?

I apologize if I offended you. It can be easy to mistake someone being direct and blunt with him being a d***.

That wasn't my intention; we get rashes of people coming on here complaining that CbB is broken - that it doesn't work properly - because they don't get the results they were expecting and they haven't bothered to look at the documentation.  Just recently some guy popped in here after playing with Cakewalk for a whole long week with a laundry list of "missing features" that are, in fact, features that CW has had for years.

So I do apologize, but your OP did look for all the world like one of those. Some remark along the lines of "I've been using CW for years and this just started happening" would have cleared that right up.

No hard feelings?

As far as me being wrong, its not the first time and I'm sure it will happen again.

Edited by bdickens

16 hours ago, bdickens said:

Incorrect: this actually happens randomly from time-to-time. 

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/31739-running-track-on-solo-but-another-track-is-always-audible/&do=findComment&comment=258159

Here I helped another member, but unfortunately the videos are not available anymore.