What exactly is Project 5?

jeffythedragonslayer

Question

6 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Project 5 doesn't exist any more.

No! I don't like that answer even if it is the truth.

Project5 was a DAW like Ableton Live with a great workflow. Unfortunately it never gained enough market share and the old, old owners of Cakewalk dropped it.  For its time it was a great product.  Problem with Project5 is that it wasn't a multi threaded aware DAW so in today's market it would not fair very well.  I still loved the workflow and I wish there was a way to have it added into CbB just for the great scratchpad as I  liked to call it. It was super easy to get ideas down. 

It was a DAW made by Twelve Tone Systems (later known as Cakewalk).

Here is a product announcement, an SOS review and a website created when the DAW was actively developed and sold.

Ultimately Cakewalk discontinued the product after 2 releases.

Some of the Project 5 features were integrated into SONAR and are still part of Cakewalk by BandLab.

• Like 1

Pity Cakewalk hasn't gotten these particular features:

"DS864™ — digital sampler
A flexible, easy-to-use, multi-format digital sampler with ample manipulation capabilities and pristine audio fidelity."

"VELOCITY™ — drum sampler (LM4, WAV, AIF)
The multi-timbral drum sampler provides 18 polyphonic voices with up to 32 velocity-layered samples."

"Cyclone™ DXi — groove sampler
A 16-part, ACID™-compatible groove sampler, composition tool, and loop editor."

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Pity Cakewalk hasn't gotten these particular features:

"DS864™ — digital sampler
A flexible, easy-to-use, multi-format digital sampler with ample manipulation capabilities and pristine audio fidelity."

"VELOCITY™ — drum sampler (LM4, WAV, AIF)
The multi-timbral drum sampler provides 18 polyphonic voices with up to 32 velocity-layered samples."

"Cyclone™ DXi — groove sampler
A 16-part, ACID™-compatible groove sampler, composition tool, and loop editor."

Cyclone was bundled with SONAR too. 

I did not use DS864 much, but Velocity was a nice drum sampler with an easy interface. Much easier than creating sfz files.

Both DS864 and Velocity would need a 64bit port and new UIs as the original ones were pretty small.

• Sad 1