How to convert IRs wave files down from 96khz to 44khz?

Cecelius2

Help.  I should know how to do this, but have just forgotten how to do this.

PROBLEM:  I am purchasing some IRs wave files that are 96khz (24bit).  However, I use Cakewalk at 44.1 or 48khz.  I usually have IRs that come in 44/48/96 etc options.  The ones I am going to purchase only come in 96khz (24bit).

QUESTION:   How do I convert an IR wave file down from 96khz to 48khz or 44khz.

Thanks for any help.

C2

[EDIT:  I think I figured/remember this.  

First,  Load the IR wave on an empty audio track in Cakewalk

Second, export the audio on that track alone,

Third,  on the export option page select the desired new audio sample rate (44, 48, 88, 96),

Fourth,  then use that exported wave IR in a IR loader.

Is this correct?

C2

Edited by Cecelius2

John:  Thanks very much.  This Gold Wave's batch converter is exactly  what I need; it will make it easier to covert multiple files at the same time.

Thanks again!

[EDIT:  I just tried Gold Wave's batch converter.  Wow, this is great.  Works perfectly.  Thanks again!]

C2

Edited by Cecelius2

13 hours ago, John Vere said:

Yes That  will work but a faster way would be to use a wave editor like Gold Wave which can batch convert everything at once. Gold Wave is free to use fully functional with a nag screen to purchase. 

Hi. Gold Wave sounded interesting so I checked it out. Thanks for mentioning.  A user talks about batch converting .mp3 into .wav files. In terms of such a conversion, that can’t increase the sonic quality, can it? I mean trying to “up convert” (for lack of a better term) a lossy file into a higher quality file like a .wav or flac isn’t possible, right? 

Yes Gold Wave is one of those handy dandy apps I’ve use for a long time. I think I paid $49 for a lifetime license. I have it on all my computers including my wife s laptop as she uses it to record webinars. Big red button is easy to understand.  
I worked a lot with client recording projects that are “albums “.  Sometimes 20 songs. I have developed a very efficient workflow for this and using software that does something “better “ makes life easy. 

Recording and mixing of course is Cakewalk, export as a 48 or 44.1 wave. I fine tune, top and tail in Wave Lab.  Then if I need MP3 files I use Gold Wave batch converter. I also use it to batch convert the 48hz to44.1 hz if I needed a CD burn. 

@Billy86Nope. Damage was already done. 

15 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Yes Gold Wave is one of those handy dandy apps I’ve use for a long time. I think I paid $49 for a lifetime license. I have it on all my computers including my wife s laptop as she uses it to record webinars. Big red button is easy to understand.  
I worked a lot with client recording projects that are “albums “.  Sometimes 20 songs. I have developed a very efficient workflow for this and using software that does something “better “ makes life easy. 

Recording and mixing of course is Cakewalk, export as a 48 or 44.1 wave. I fine tune, top and tail in Wave Lab.  Then if I need MP3 files I use Gold Wave batch converter. I also use it to batch convert the 48hz to44.1 hz if I needed a CD burn. 

@Billy86Nope. Damage was already done. 

Yes, that's what I thought. Can't see why anyone would find a use for converting mp3 to wav. In terms of sonic content, there's no "there" there in the mp3 to convert. 

It’s stupid thinking not uncommon on the internet 🤭

Only reason I could think of is that someone asked for a wave file and you can say, “no problem buddy here ya go. !” They probably asked for a wave because they know MP3’s suck. But most likely they won’t notice they were duped 

maybe an mp3 file is the only [surviving] copy of something (think old cassette tape 🙂 ) and you need to do some edits - example - you get an mp3 from someone's mp3 recorder of an important meeting but want to run RX on it to clean it up - so converting to WAV first then running through a series of fixes (some may be destructive writes) - and then re-export as mp3.

obviously not the same as buying things and getting them as mp3 when they should have been WAV (or other lossless format)...

@Cecelius2 I also use 44.1 in my DAW ,  but  whenever I "import"  a 48 khz wav file into a project , CbB automatically converts it to 44.1 Watch the top of the screen and you'll see a progress bar while it converts it. It happens pretty fast on my system. I do remember one time it didn't do it and I had timing problems. Deleted and reimported the file and it converted it the second time.   I've never seen it but there may be a setting in preferences for this ..    mark

On 1/17/2022 at 5:19 PM, Cecelius2 said:

Help.  I should know how to do this, but have just forgotten how to do this.

PROBLEM:  I am purchasing some IRs wave files that are 96khz (24bit).  However, I use Cakewalk at 44.1 or 48khz.  I usually have IRs that come in 44/48/96 etc options.  The ones I am going to purchase only come in 96khz (24bit).

QUESTION:   How do I convert an IR wave file down from 96khz to 48khz or 44khz.

Thanks for any help.

C2

[EDIT:  I think I figured/remember this.  

First,  Load the IR wave on an empty audio track in Cakewalk

Second, export the audio on that track alone,

Third,  on the export option page select the desired new audio sample rate (44, 48, 88, 96),

Fourth,  then use that exported wave IR in a IR loader.

Is this correct?

C2

If all one has is CbB, the steps to convert wav files  (or any format recognized by the DAW) from one sample rate to another are 

1. Drag all the clips into a project set to the appropriate sample rate
  2. Save the project
  3. Close the project

The converted clips will be in the project audio folder.

Exporting clips is necessary only if a format other than wav is desired.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 6:15 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

maybe an mp3 file is the only [surviving] copy of something (think old cassette tape 🙂 ) and you need to do some edits - example - you get an mp3 from someone's mp3 recorder of an important meeting but want to run RX on it to clean it up - so converting to WAV first then running through a series of fixes (some may be destructive writes) - and then re-export as mp3.

obviously not the same as buying things and getting them as mp3 when they should have been WAV (or other lossless format)...

Yes, no need to pre convert MP3 files to wave as every audio app that I use will automatically do this for you. 

Example Wave Lab and Cakewalk will  convert to wave files on loading,,  But Gold wave is the King  of Batch conversion. I'm sure there might be others, but it's free to use.  

Edited by John Vere