Extended end of song

Please jump to the end of this thread, I'm having a continuation of this problem.

I've searched but didn't find an answer. When I select everything, tracks and busses, the end of song extends significantly beyond the last notes of the song. I previously had tracks that were hidden that were longer, but have since deleted them. I only have automation on a couple of busses, but the automation ends long before the end of the song and there are no errant nodes that I can find. I've look in the event list, but I cannot figure out how to read it well enough to see if anything is amiss. The only tracks that play all the way to the end are audio tracks, a piano and vocal... neither has automation of any kind. I know I can print this song and chop off the extended end, but it seems like there should be a better answer. Any thoughts? What am I missing?

Edited by Richard Schweitzer

• 3 weeks later...

Criminy, if anyone's around... same question as the original. On the last project I ran into this problem the solution above using Ripple Edit worked. It's happened again, but following that same process doesn't work. I've looked for stray nodes, and looked through the Event List, which may hold a clue but I don't really know how to read it. Any more ideas? One thing I did notice. This happened right after I had been building some drum bits in the Piano Roll. When I was done there were a couple of extra long empty midi fields that extended out that far, but when I bounced the entire track to clips that went away. Maybe that left a remnant or something, but I can't figure out how to find it or delete it.

Update, I did a multiple undo back to when those extended midi fields were still there and I grabbed the end and drag them back to the end of the music, but that still didn't solve the issue, so I don't think that's the problem.

Another update: I saved the song under a revision name, then copied the drum part. I deleted the entire drum track - and that solved the problem. I created a new drum track and reload the kit, pasted the original drum pattern back into it and now I'm back up and running. That's a work around, but it doesn't solve the problems, and it would sure be nice to know what I did wrong to create the problem so as to avoid doing it again. Any more input would be great. Thanks

In a way it’s not really an issue that the song carries off on a long journey past the end. 
If it’s not easily chopped off then just ignore it. When you export the song you can easily choose the exact ending using the Range dialogue.
I do this anyway because Cakewalk never gets endings exactly right anyhow. 

Maybe it's my mild OCD, but I have issues with doing that. Plus, I don't know if it's true or not for sure, but sometimes it seems like certain efx, like reverbs or delays, get cut off early if there isn't enough space after the final note. So, I'm in the habit of controlling how much of that extension is left. Maybe that's erroneous. But I would still like to know what causes it so I can avoid it.

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2022 at 12:51 PM, Richard Schweitzer said:

Maybe it's my mild OCD, but I have issues with doing that. Plus, I don't know if it's true or not for sure, but sometimes it seems like certain efx, like reverbs or delays, get cut off early if there isn't enough space after the final note. So, I'm in the habit of controlling how much of that extension is left. Maybe that's erroneous. But I would still like to know what causes it so I can avoid it.

Ever solve this?  I've got the same issue.

• 3 months later...

What workaround? There's no workaround. The project ends where the data ends.  That's the cause.

Every time this happens it is because there is data beyond where you think the end of the song is.  And every time you delete that, you fix it.

It really isn't that difficult to understand. If the music ends at measure 100 but you have a CC event or automation node at measure 200, guess what. Your project ends at measure 200.

I always make sure there’s data at least 2 measures past the end then export. Then  I top and tail the song in Wave Lab. It’s more precise and I can experiment with fade outs. You can do this in Cakewalk but that workflow is CLUNKY 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 12:38 PM, Byron Dickens said:

What workaround? There's no workaround. The project ends where the data ends.  That's the cause.

Every time this happens it is because there is data beyond where you think the end of the song is.  And every time you delete that, you fix it.

It really isn't that difficult to understand. If the music ends at measure 100 but you have a CC event or automation node at measure 200, guess what. Your project ends at measure 200.

Okay, I was just trying to understand your "The answer is contained right within this year old zombie thread." comment, that's all, sorry I asked.

Ok here’s some answers to how to prevent it from happening . 
1- Don’t go for lunch leaving Cakewalk recording. Yes we all do this once. 
2- Don’t forget to stop when recording midi parts and then hit your controller at 2 minutes after the song ended. 
3- Check that your midi controller is not randomly sending controller data from the joystick. 
4-Pay attention when copying and pasting where the paste has gone if it isn’t what you wanted.
5- Always check the Undo list when something you pasted didn’t seem to work. It might have landed on measure 400

6- Don’t use Ripple edit on a complex project  

7- Hidden tracks? 

8. Your Cat found the R key. 
9- Keep projects tidy

• Like 1