Retuning Previously Mixed Recordings

David Jerkins

Question

Is it possible to retune my previously mixed down recorded songs from A440Hz to A432Hz? If so, how? Is there any known problems (artifacts, etc) that this causes. I have around 200 of these finished songs and it would be time prohibitive to open each project and pitch shift each track then export a new mixdown again.

2 answers to this question

You would have to stretch the file by the correct percent 440/432. However, it will pitch everything, the drums as well as instruments and change the tempo. You may be able to pitch it without changing the length or tempo but there will be more artifacts.

If you are going to do a bunch you might look into an audio editor (gold wave, sound forge etc.) 

You should see if a Wave editor will do this. I know Gold Wave does batch conversions for file formats. I can do 100 songs with one mouse click. 
Most wave editors have pitch adjust without tempo change. And that’s a small amount of  change so with the right rendering should not create noticeable artifacts. Use the highest quality rendering offered. 

Edited by John Vere