A Cakewalk Observation

cclarry

1 hour ago, scook said:

Style Dials were originally developed for Music Creator 7.

It did not have the full ProChannel, instead it had a MixStrip similar to SONAR Home Studio, Artist and Steam Edition.

MixStrip.1.1.png

Style Dials are customized FX Chains.

Those Style Dials are ironically similar to the Waves "One Knob" series of plugins... :)

2 hours ago, scook said:

Style Dials are customized FX Chains.

assume that means they are dependent on core CW FX then right?  if so, are these dependencies documented anywhere?

IIRC, some of the extras developed by Craig Anderton hit a few speedbumps when FX (TH3?) were upgraded, but would not be a problem for a  3rd party dev, which might be a plus for PC versions. 

1 minute ago, jackson white said:

assume that means they are dependent on core CW FX then right? 

They are dependent on Cakewalk developed plug-ins

1 minute ago, jackson white said:

if so, are these dependencies documented anywhere?

Not in user documentation

3 minutes ago, jackson white said:

IIRC, some of the extras developed by Craig Anderton hit a few speedbumps when FX (TH3?)

Some FX Chains bundled with CbB used plug-ins that were not bundled with the DAW. AFAIK, this issue was addressed in 2020.08.

I don't believe TH3 was involved. That plug-in is bundled with CbB. Any FX Chains made with it should still work.

I know there were some using Channel Tools. This plug-in was not in the original distribution but was added later.

• Thanks 1

I like the PC because it tells you a lot more than a simple effects stack like we see in PT or Cubase among others. You can access effects chains right inside of it. I keep forgetting I have Breverb with hundreds of settings in the PC and often reach for something else. This was a cutting edge novel idea. The ability to see a bunch of things happening in the  PC using less steps than many other DAWs. 

Having said that, as a commercial venture I think most if not many plug in makers would prefer to write something that can go into any DAW. It would be great to see development of plugins for the PC. I realize the implications of allowing something like an open source code to develop plugins for the PC. There would need to be some sort of a vetting process to make sure everything works ok. Maybe pass it through the brass for a check out first....or a willing and knowledgeable Cakewalk tester with that authority. 

Judging from all of the skins people made for Cakewalk, the PC would be similar if tinkerers were allowed in the door. That's the only way I see this taking off unless there are more changes to Cakewalk. People who downloaded for free only because the software is free aren't as likely to pay for plugins.

Just my opinion.

And since it has been almost 4 years without BandLab re-releasing ANY of the old premium Cakewalk developed plugins, I sense that they really are not all that interested in pursuing further plugin development and support. They would most likely have pushed something out by this point if they were...

Edited by abacab

35 minutes ago, abacab said:

And since it has been almost 4 years without BandLab re-releasing ANY of the old premium Cakewalk developed plugins, I sense that they really are not all that interested in pursuing further plugin development and support. They would most likely have pushed something out by this point if they were...

They did finally release la2a lol

• Thanks 1

IIRC, the Style Dials use older versions of the plug-ins.

I learned their structure the hard way.

When I was volunteered to support MC7, I installed the DAW and it blew up some of the Platinum plug-ins. 

A few rounds with the devs and the problem was sorted out.

They could be DX, VST2 or VST3 because FX Chains supports all formats but, in this case, they are all VST2.

• Thanks 4

On 1/19/2022 at 1:58 AM, abacab said:

An exception that I wasn't aware of. I have the original.

I too have the original CA2A and the new one, PC2A doesn't have sidechain input but I'm not sure that was stated in cakewalk's release notes.

Edited by chris.r