Stuff you ignore in a DAW because you think 3rd party is always better

kitekrazy

14 hours ago, paulo said:

I ignore all the included instruments and fx in S1 because I ignore S1. It would be nice if they made them accessible outside of S1. It's not like the user hasn't paid for a licence to use them, so it shouldn't matter where they get used.

I haven't read the license terms, but I'm pretty sure it grants you the rights to use Studio One and that's that. It would do good for everyone to read at least one end-user license agreement from beginning to end at least once in their life, as it provides a window into the wondrous world of defining boundaries in legal jargon.

Occasionally you find funny and/or preposterous clauses, such as disclaiming responsibility of some ridiculously improbable outcome from some ridiculously stupid misuse of a product, or threatening with legal action would you decide to do something that is your moral right according to your moral compass. For example, EULA's typically explicitly deny you the right to reverse engineer the product in question, whereas I see tearing shit down to be my moral right. If it's software running on my computer, or a physical object that enters my home, you don't get to tell me in which particular ways I'm allowed to touch it - and that's that.

8 hours ago, sarine said:

I haven't read the license terms, but I'm pretty sure it grants you the rights to use Studio One and that's that. It would do good for everyone to read at least one end-user license agreement from beginning to end at least once in their life, as it provides a window into the wondrous world of defining boundaries in legal jargon.

Occasionally you find funny and/or preposterous clauses, such as disclaiming responsibility of some ridiculously improbable outcome from some ridiculously stupid misuse of a product, or threatening with legal action would you decide to do something that is your moral right according to your moral compass. For example, EULA's typically explicitly deny you the right to reverse engineer the product in question, whereas I see tearing shit down to be my moral right. If it's software running on my computer, or a physical object that enters my home, you don't get to tell me in which particular ways I'm allowed to touch it - and that's that.

I don't doubt that the licence terms have it covered one way or another. They win either way, that's how it works, but the licence terms could easily be different if they wanted them to be. I'm not losing any sleep over it or anything. It would just be nice to at least get some use out of the program.

9 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

I think sometimes we go into video game mode when projecting "how easy" it would be for companies to offer products. I am sure they could wrap any of them up into a vst and release them, but then I think of the possible pitfalls vs reward. It may seem like it costs them nothing to do so, but I have to wonder what the cost analysis of supporting these VSTs that will very likely have tech issues (just like every vst) that vary with DAWs.  These stock instruments/fx are fairly stable with S1 because they were coded to specifically work with S1 from the beginning. Instruments like impact and sample one are tightly integrated with S1 and who knows jow that coding would affect stability when ised outside of that system.The fact that I can't think of a single S1 instrument or effect that is heads and tails above comparable DAW stock plugs gives me even less reason to see incentive for them to create a new level of support with low potential gain. Just my take

You could well be right, but they could always say that there is no tech support if used in other DAW's. That would be fair enough. I'm not overly bothered, it would just be nice to maybe get some use out of them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, paulo said:

You could well be right, but they could always say that there is no tech support if used in other DAW's. That would be fair enough. I'm not overly bothered, it would just be nice to maybe get some use out of them.

You are aware that you can use a number of effects from Studio One elsewhere if you install PreSonus Hub, such as Ampire, Fat Channel, Analog Effects Collection, & VU Meter, right? That makes them available as unlocked VST3 plugins.

My main issue is that none of the proprietary Studio One instruments are included, and I agree with @dubdiscipleregarding their possible reasoning for not releasing them. But the fact that FX were released, but not any instruments, leaves me scratching my head...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, abacab said:

You are aware that you can use a number of effects from Studio One elsewhere if you install PreSonus Hub, such as Ampire, Fat Channel, Analog Effects Collection, & VU Meter, right? That makes them available as unlocked VST3 plugins.

My main issue is that none of the proprietary Studio One instruments are included, and I agree with @dubdiscipleregarding their possible reasoning for not releasing them. But the fact that FX were released, but not any instruments, leaves me scratching my head...

Yeah, I read that somewhere, but I'm not really interested in the fx, just the instruments. They take up a fair chunk of HD space, so it would be nice to be able to use them. As it is, sooner or later I will probably end up removing them altogether to free up that space for something that is useful to me.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:36 PM, abacab said:

In my account The PreSonus Hub installer requires Windows 10 

Was there ever an installer for Windows 7 ,  does anyone have it installed.

Thanks

Brian

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brian Cadoret said:

In my account The PreSonus Hub installer requires Windows 10 

Was there ever an installer for Windows 7 ,  does anyone have it installed.

Thanks

Brian

PreSonus Hub is a fairly recent thing (v1.0.0 December 12, 2019). Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 in January 2020.

There are a few posts over at the PreSonus forum commenting on the Windows 10 requirement for Hub, such as this one  from Dec 30, 2019 "I tried to install the Hub, but the install program indicates that the user has to have Windows 10 or later for that".

I assume that user would have been trying with the v1.0.0 installer. Any doubts, probably should check with PreSonus support.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 12:36 AM, abacab said:

Another annoying thing is that the Hub takes so much time in each plugin scanning! That's the reason why I have only installed it on my laptop so far! I hate those plugin shells that take a lot of scanning time even if there is no new plugin of this developer! I have hundreds of usual plugins and about 3-4 shells (with maybe 10 plugins together), but the scanning for these few shell plugins takes more time than for some hundred others! 😡

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/25/2022 at 9:04 PM, Magic Russ said:

To turn this thread on its head, I mostly ignore 3rd party equalizers in favor of the Cakewalk equalizer.

Overall, though, I'm in the camp of not wanting anything that won't work in multiple DAWs.

FL and Live users do that but may change ir for mastering. Plus most built in DAW stuff is easily accessible,

On 1/27/2022 at 8:56 AM, marled said:

Another annoying thing is that the Hub takes so much time in each plugin scanning!

It is this process that has the biggest impact on Cakewalk startup time on my systems. It takes longer to scan that one shell than it does to start Cakewalk if I have plug-in scanning disabled.

I've considered disabling automatic scanning for this reason. Not that I use their stuff all that often, but Analog Delay is a goodie for when I want that kind of sound.

• Great Idea 1