Stuff you ignore in a DAW because you think 3rd party is always better

kitekrazy

Stuff you ignore in a DAW because you think 3rd party is always better or just didn't pay attention to it.

Sonar/Cakewalk

-Cyclone seemed like it was ahead of its time.  It's still in there. Not really sure how to use it

-The hidden plugins like the Percussion strip 64

-Sonitus Plugins

- Beatscape was a useful Rex player at one time.

FL Studio Everything

- Harmor and Sytrus are their flagship synth but after going through all of them I didn't realize you can create music with them. Their effects are overrated and seem to add new ones.

Live Suite

-Max4Live Takes some time to learn

Reason Studios

-Subtractor, Thor, and Redrum are still a beast to use.  They can suffer from neglect due to the shiny REs.  Redrum is my favorite easy to use drum sampler. 

I do come across many tutorials and templates using stock devices.  I guess some effects in Reaper are popular. Logic seems to have its own share.  I remember when DAWs were not complete and you had to buy additional plugins.  Some plugins at one time that were in DAWs were no better than demo software.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Sonar/Cakewalk

-Cyclone seemed like it was ahead of its time.  It's still in there. Not really sure how to use it

-Sonitus Plugins

- Beatscape was a useful Rex player at one time.

FL Studio Everything

- Harmor and Sytrus are their flagship synth but after going through all of them I didn't realize you can create music with them. Their effects are overrated and seem to add new ones.

Cyclone was not bad and definitely ahead of time.  Beatscape was trash. The only useful thing was included sample. It had some ok concepts deceptive felt like a product in alpha stage.  For rex files, cakewalk had a designated rex player which I forgot about until now

Cakewalk

The matrix view in cakewalk is a decent feature I forget about

Channel emulation. With the glut of channel strips available now, people forget cakewalk was ahead of time and did a decent job.

Studio One

Impact XT is a good drum program that often takes a backseat to my third party drum plugs despite the fact that i tend to finish songs quicker when i just go with Impact

I completely forget about the analog channel strip

• Like 1

The Inspector-based Arpeggiator in Cakewalk.  The MIDI Remote Control  bug makes it unusable for my purposes.  If not for that, I would gladly use it.  Alternative third party software with arpeggiator functionality is not necessarily better on the whole, but if it allows for MIDI Remote Control, it can do things that Cakewalk can't.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo

3rd party is better if you plan to use more than one DAW, and want to use your favorite portable instruments and effects anywhere, and not have them locked to a specific DAW.

However, built-in could be simpler if you wish to collaborate with others using the same DAW, exchanging project files, etc.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 2

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

-Sonitus Plugins

This. Even though the Vocal and Percussion strips are VST and usable in other DAW's, I forget that they are there. It may be my odd blind spot/prejudice regarding multieffects (I'm told that I'm not alone in that), although I do love me some BYOME and TRIAD.

The Sonitus suite is a sore point because they do have some good sounds in them. Their UI's just offend my visual sensibilities. Too small, not so easy to get around in due to that. And the color scheme and overall design just tells part of my brain that they're not "up to date." As well as the fact that they're DX and therefore can't be used in my other DAW.

The only time I use anything in the ProChannel other than the Quadcurve EQ is when I want an 1176 or LA/2A type compressor or console emulation. The Quadcurve is so good it's managed to bump MEqualizer out of the top spot.

45 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

I use cubase. I sometimes feel I wasted good money on other  effects. The ones in the DAW seem to do just fine.

They are fine!

I've done a 180° and now go to the DAW's own channel strip first.

If the effect is not integrated into the mixer then I tend to go to Melda.

In the few rare cases I go to the handful plugins from other vendors, such as PA for that certain warm or gritty sound (or just to batter & smear my pansy drumbeat into something BIG and BOLD), and Flux IRCAM Verb for the expansive "hell yeah" - or subtle and clean - reverb.

I've never really spent much time with the Nomad Factory stuff that came with Sonar back in the day. No particular reason why, I just forget that they are there, which I guess is a consequence of not having specifically bought them.

I ignore all the included instruments and fx in S1 because I ignore S1. It would be nice if they made them accessible outside of S1. It's not like the user hasn't paid for a licence to use them, so it shouldn't matter where they get used.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, paulo said:

I've never really spent much time with the Nomad Factory stuff that came with Sonar back in the day. No particular reason why, I just forget that they are there, which I guess is a consequence of not having specifically bought them.

I ignore all the included instruments and fx in S1 because I ignore S1. It would be nice if they made them accessible outside of S1. It's not like the user hasn't paid for a licence to use them, so it shouldn't matter where they get used.

Some of the Nomad plugins are very useful, but there are a LOT of EQs and compressors...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bapu said:

Since I have at my disposal multiple DAWs I tend to ignore all DAW specific plugs.

Same here. Some DAW specific plugs might be great, but learning to use any plug well takes time. I would prefer to invest that time into learning something universally useful.

Plus, I already have too many EQs and compressors... :)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

13 hours ago, paulo said:

I think sometimes we go into video game mode when projecting "how easy" it would be for companies to offer products. I am sure they could wrap any of them up into a vst and release them, but then I think of the possible pitfalls vs reward. It may seem like it costs them nothing to do so, but I have to wonder what the cost analysis of supporting these VSTs that will very likely have tech issues (just like every vst) that vary with DAWs.  These stock instruments/fx are fairly stable with S1 because they were coded to specifically work with S1 from the beginning. Instruments like impact and sample one are tightly integrated with S1 and who knows jow that coding would affect stability when ised outside of that system.The fact that I can't think of a single S1 instrument or effect that is heads and tails above comparable DAW stock plugs gives me even less reason to see incentive for them to create a new level of support with low potential gain. Just my take