Just updated to 1.2

PSP FETpressor v.1.2.0

CHANGES & NEW FEATURES:
1. External Side Chain support with blend algorithms,
2. A new LINK algorithm allowing to set 50% link between channels,
3. Apple Silicon native support,
4. The brand new preset system,
5. High resolution graphics for Mac and PC
6. New graphical engine for Mac computers: overall smoothness improvement, reduced CPU drain,
7. Optimised loading times of GUI (Mac & PC),

• Thanks 2

My go-to FET-style compressor. Part of my standard compressor trifecta alongside FabFilter Pro-C and Cakewalk CA-2A. I've got gobs of compressors, but I could happily trim the collection down to just these three.

Didn't know there'd been an update, so thanks, Larry.

• Like 2

Woops, that didn't go well. The new version said it had to be authorized and the 1.0 auth code didn't work. I'd forgotten that PSPAudioware had gone to PACE a while back. Since I won't put Pace on my computer, I've reverted to 1.0.

This doesn't change my opinion on the quality of the plugin, just that of PSPAudioware. I'd still recommend it if you don't have an objection to PACE/iLok.

psp is weird in that they used ilok for a while then dropped it for simple licence files and now is reverting one plugin at a time back to ilok. new buyers probably can't get access to fet 1.0 cos they have changed the user accounts so the old pre ilok versions are unavailable. 

I'm staying at fet 1.0 and oldtimer 2.0 cos of that. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I understand guys objecting to the ilock dongle and the ilock cloud licensing. But what’s the objection to the ilock machine-based licensing that companies like PSP and Soundtoys offer as an alternative? In both of those cases, same time licensing on two computers is available.

Edited by LAGinz

7 hours ago, backwoods said:

... new buyers probably can't get access to fet 1.0 cos they have changed the user accounts so the old pre ilok versions are unavailable. 

Correct, there is no option to download older versions from PSP. I had to get 1.0 from a backup.

At least they offered me an iLok code in my account. All I'd need to do is install the PACE driver. Not gonna do it.

4 hours ago, LAGinz said:

...what’s the objection to the ilock machine-based licensing?

Same as the objection to any hardware-based copy protection: sneeze on it and it stops working.

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Correct, there is no option to download older versions from PSP. I had to get 1.0 from a backup.

At least they offered me an iLok code in my account. All I'd need to do is install the PACE driver. Not gonna do it.

Same as the objection to any hardware-based copy protection: sneeze on it and it stops working.

I guess I’m still not understanding fully your last point. For me, the objectionable “hardware” aspect of ilock is the USB dongle, which is not required for machine-based ilock licensing. I see the underlying ilock “driver” as software rather than hardware, and not materially different than the “product managers” most software companies use.

Edited by LAGinz

3 hours ago, LAGinz said:

I guess I’m still not understanding fully your last point. For me, the objectionable “hardware” aspect of ilock is the USB dongle, which is not required for machine-based ilock licensing. I see the underlying ilock “driver” as software rather than hardware, and not materially different than the “product managers” most software companies use.

If your hard drive fails, OS corruption etc then you lose you licences. Yes, some devs might grant you replacement ones, but that's not guaranteed. They may have even gone out of business.

In my opinion, iLok wouldn't be so bad if they automatically covered and protected against that.

Some people buy the hardware key and pay a yearly amount for that protection, however it's still more hassle and a yearly cost than other traditional methods.

13 hours ago, LAGinz said:

I understand guys objecting to the ilock dongle and the ilock cloud licensing. But what’s the objection to the ilock machine-based licensing that companies like PSP and Soundtoys offer as an alternative? In both of those cases, same time licensing on two computers is available.

They usually object to any form of copy protection.

14 hours ago, LAGinz said:

It's still hardware-based, but using components within your system in place of a separate dongle. Upgrade your motherboard and all your plugins suddenly treat you like a thief. Depending on the protection scheme, you could have the same issues after replacing a disk drive or network adapter.

When Dell bought millions of counterfeit capacitors that then failed, I was fortunate to have a maintenance contract on my Dell that covered the motherboard's replacement. However, many of my plugins no longer worked afterward. No problems with the ones that use license files or registry keys, just those that used "software-based" auth schemes. Unfortunately, I had a great many of the latter so although some vendors did make re-authorization easy (some did not) it was still a time-consuming and annoying process getting everything going again.

As a software developer, I am offended by anything designed to not work by default, and any design built around a single point of failure. PACE in particular has a long history of disabling software en masse after updating their software.

7 hours ago, boxed said:

They usually object to any form of copy protection.

Not so. User-friendly protection is acceptable, and I have no problem providing proof of purchase when it's required. But said proof should be in the form of a file that I can back up.

Fortunately, there are always non-PACE alternatives that do just that, e.g. FabFilter, Meldaproduction, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Voxengo, Celemony, Jamstix, D16, Overloud, AAS - just to name a few off the top of my head.

Fortunately, I won't need to find an alternative to FETPressor because the non-PACE version already does exactly what it's supposed to do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

It's still hardware-based, but using components within your system in place of a separate dongle. Upgrade your motherboard and all your plugins suddenly treat you like a thief. Depending on the protection scheme, you could have the same issues after replacing a disk drive or network adapter.

As a software developer, I am offended by anything designed to not work by default, and any design built around a single point of failure. PACE in particular has a long history of disabling software en masse after updating their software.

Still not sure I would consider the machine licensing “hardware based”, but I understand your larger point. Out of curiosity, have people had substantial issues with ilock machine licensing, when upgrading from Windows 10 to 11? I’m still on 10,

EDIT:  BTW, until recently I’ve had a similar problem with non-ilock  Celemony to the one you’ve expressed concern about. Every time I had a BIOS update, Melodyne would lose its authorization.

Edited by LAGinz

13 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Out of curiosity, have people had substantial issues with ilock machine licensing, when upgrading from Windows 10 to 11? I’m still on 10,

I'm in the process of switching to a new PC where the old one is Windows 10 en the new one is Windows 11. As far as i know it is just the same application which works the exact same way. iLOK seems to work fine and I haven't run into issues yet (except for remembering my password).

The only PITA is the vendors who give you 1 license. I prefer to install and authorize my plugins first on the new PC, test to see if I run into problems and only then disable the license and uninstall on the old PC. But they force me to deactivate the license first (and luckily my old PC still works) and hope for the best.

14 hours ago, bitflipper said:

That's why I prefer using iLok with a dongle for my main computer. Like that there are no problems if I change something of the PC hardware and software.

There is another issue with PACE non-USB authorizations: You cannot authorize offline!

When Dell bought millions of counterfeit capacitors that then failed, I was fortunate to have a maintenance contract on my Dell that covered the motherboard's replacement. However, many of my plugins no longer worked afterward. No problems with the ones that use license files or registry keys, just those that used "software-based" auth schemes. Unfortunately, I had a great many of the latter so although some vendors did make re-authorization easy (some did not) it was still a time-consuming and annoying process getting everything going again.

When I had a major issue with my laptop replacing the system disk, then like you, I also preferred the plugins with file licenses, registry keys or machine-indepent keys!

But for the rest of plugins I was glad when they were PACE, because it was obvious what to do! 😉

For the non-PACE, machine-dependent plugins it was a hell, because each provider had another way to unauthorize (if available) and authorize and it also wasn't easily visible how many authorization were remaining. It was time consuming to find out all that! Thus I created a little text file to store this information, hope I don't have to use it once! 😄 That's the advantage of a standard authorization system like PACE, you know what to do!

I agree with your statement, except that it is also valid for all non-PACE, machine dependent authorization systems. I think even worse are those installation manager systems (NI, XLN, ...). There is not only the authorization a single point of failure, but also the installation and revert (often even not available).

Not so. User-friendly protection is acceptable, and I have no problem providing proof of purchase when it's required. But said proof should be in the form of a file that I can back up.

+1 

User-friendly: Authorization file, registry key or machine-indepent key!

3 hours ago, marled said:

I think even worse are those installation manager systems (NI, XLN, ...). There is not only the authorization a single point of failure, but also the installation and revert (often even not available).

I don't know about this. All NI plugins can be easily uninstalled seperately. I ran into a problem once wih the SSD installation of Komplete and Native Access fixed the whole issue. Plugin Alliance has the option to do everything manually or use a installation manager. Mostly when changing computers or similar situations I like those managers. I don't have to install 30 plugins seperately but everything in 1 go. This saves me hours of tedious work. This is the cakewalk forum with Larry, we got hundreds/thousands of plugins 😉

1 hour ago, Nick Blanc said:

This saves me hours of tedious work.

I doubt this with Native Access! E.g. it's about 10 times faster to install an instrument manually (where this is possible) and use NA only for authorization (locate), than using only NA (Without downloading time! The installation alone takes a lot more time! I wonder why?).

NA does also not allow to go back to an older release (what I would like for NI's FX)! Also if you install on several computers you cannot (without tricks) use a single download for one product (what a resource waiste!).

And also when you install a lot of products at the same time, then NA has trouble to update itself. E.g. sometimes there is the wrong product name in the installed message or sometimes a product status is never updated (unless you close NA and restart it), ... From my perspective as former software engineer this does not look very trustful!

The only advantage that I see with NA, is the overview about installations (once it is properly updated 😆).

• Like 1