Trying to change patch

jeffythedragonslayer

Question

Hi there, I am trying to change which patch is being used from TTS-1 to something else.  I am having trouble understanding this page (https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Dialogs2.045.html) as there are no screenshots.  I also do not want to insert a MIDI bank/patch change message somewhere partway through the track - I want the patch of the entire track changed.  If I click on the text "Cakewalk TTS-1" it becomes an editable text box, but I'm looking for something more like a dropdown where I can select one of the 128 General MIDI patches.

image.png

14 answers to this question

The channel, bank and patch drop downs may or may not be visible in track header depending on your workspace setting and track control drop down setting

jPDbCPI.png

but they are always visible in the track inspector.

Inspectors.3.4.png

Pick a bank (C points to the bank drop down) then select a patch from the drop down below the bank drop down.

Another way to change a patch is click on the patch name in the appropriate channel in the plug-in itself 

3xoytgE.gif

Until yesterday, I never thought of this as an issue.  If I could replay all of the times I used versions of SONAR/Cakewalk that had the track widget buttons, maybe I'd find that I consistently click on the down arrow, or maybe I just do what John does and it happens so fast (eye-hand automatic pilot) I don't notice it.  I'll never know since I don't have a time machine.  😜 

Seriously though, I checked the earliest version of SONAR/Cakewalk I have installed on my main PC--SONAR 8.5.3.282 (pre-Skylight UI).  There are track widget button hot spot inconsistencies there, too.  So, I assume its baked in.

Probably safest to just click on the down arrow.

2 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Hmm. I'm sure I posted the image below your post, but somehow it ended up above yours? 

Unlike the rest of the forum, the Q&A section defaults to sort by vote. 

To see posts in chronological order, click the "Sort by date" button on the right below the OP.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, scook said:

That is the channel drop down. 

The bank drop down is below to the left; the patch drop down is immediately below the channel drop down

Thanks, this solved my issue.  It was extremely counterintuitive to me that the channel dropdown appears when I click its box regardless of where inside, but the patch dropdown appears only when I click the down arrow.

Edited by Jeff Linahan

4 hours ago, Jeff Linahan said:

It was extremely counterintuitive to me that the channel dropdown appears when I click its box regardless of where inside, but the patch dropdown appears only when I click the down arrow.

I am sorry, but while the hot spot is inconsistent, calling it "extremely counterintuitive" is 100% hyperbole. 

Clarification: Pressing a down arrow to trigger a dropdown menu is consistent across many pieces of software. Pressing an up arrow to trigger a dropdown menu would seem to be "counterintuitive" to use your term. The fact that there are extra hotspots to trigger the dropdown menu for some of the track control widgets but not others is inconsistent UI behavior.  Bonus hotspots are not really "extremely counterintuitive."  Anyone who presses on the down arrows will find the UI behavior consistent.

Edited by User 905133
(2) To fix a capitalization error (1) To add a clarification