How do I accelerate and decelerate MIDI (not by tempo change, but rather note position)

pulsewalk

Is there a plugin for accelerating and/or decelerating MIDI? So the individual notes are moved? With other words NOT a project tempo change with the tempo editor/tempo track.

Lets say the MIDI notes looks like this in the beginning:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

And I want them to look like this:

.... .  .   .    .      .       .         .           .                 .                      .                                .                                           .

With other words decelerating, the notes gradually pulled apart farther and farther way.

And for accelerating it would obviously be the opposite, the notes gradually moved closer and closer together.

Is there a way to do this at all in Cakewalk?

Edited by pulsewalk

3 minutes ago, Mike Z said:

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking... you can use the Piano Roll View to edit midi notes. Move them individually, or select a range of notes and move them all at once.

I just edited my original post with a more comprehensible explanation. :)

And of course I would like to have this done perfectly mathematically calculated. I know I can move apart the notes myself but not only it would be very time consuming, it wouldn't be too exact either, not without calculating every position beforehand.

Edited by pulsewalk

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

I don't get it. Changing the tempo is how you would do that.

And just to clarify, I do not want to alter the tempo of the project, it is important that the tempo is steady throughout the song.

I only want to do a gradual tempo change (decelerating, or accelerating) on the MIDI notes on one MIDI track only.

I do not want to evenly drag out the MIDI clip to adjust tempo. I want to "warp" it so the beginning of the clip stays the same, and the further away you get from the first note in the MIDI clip, the longer space between the notes, thus creating a deceleration effect. And the same thing the other way around, for accelerating.

Edited by pulsewalk

All Reaper is doing is changing the note values, which is exactly what would happen if you did like I suggested. If you really wanted to, you could do the math.

32 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

No, I need a perfect deceleration/acceleration

No problem! Play it perfectly.  

😁

Some problems really do have simple solutions. 😁

Edited by bdickens

43 minutes ago, bdickens said:

All Reaper is doing is changing the note values, which is exactly what would happen if you did like I suggested. If you really wanted to, you could do the math.

No problem! Play it perfectly.  

😁

Some problems really do have simple solutions. 😁

What do you mean by note values?

I'm talking about the positioning of the notes, the position in time.

Okay, if I put it this way. I want one MIDI track(or clip) to slow down gradually, while the rest is playing constantly at the same speed. Also, I want to be able to do the same thing and accelerating.

Now, this can be used for lots of stuff, and one is to create FX.

I'm talking about accelerando and rallentando here, quite basic things in music really. And in my case, not for the whole project, which the tempo track would solve, but for certain MIDI clips only :)

Edited by pulsewalk

50 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

What do you mean by note values?

https://www.udemy.com/course/musictheory/

45 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

I'm talking about accelerando and rallentando here, quite basic things in music really.

Which is accomplished by the musician slowing down and speeding up.

I believe you are overthinking this and making it harder than it needs to be.

45 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

I want one MIDI track(or clip) to slow down gradually, while the rest is playing constantly at the same speed. Also, I want to be able to do the same thing and accelerating.

A real musician would accomplish this feat by slowing down and then speeding back up. 

What kind of perfection are you after? Maybe you are doing some kind of avant garde experimental stuff beyond the comprehension of my simple Rock&Roll brain, but it sounds to me like you are expecting a level of precision beyond the capability of any human performer.

Absent something like a per track tempo map, the only two ways I could think to accomplish this fee would be either to play it in the way you want it or break out the calculator.

I get what you are asking.

It's a mathematical spacing of the notes, that increases the distance between notes by a kind of algorithmic pattern. Never thought about that option, but now I'm curious - jeje.

Don't know of a plugin that do that, but certainly someone somewhere have had the same curiosity and came up with a plugin or a method...

I guess you can use the help of a mathematician to figure out the distance of the notes correlated to a 120 bpm tempo, and draw them manually (if the length of the musical phrase is not too long)?

• Like 1

On second thoughts, if you just place the notes say a quarter apart, quantized 100% on the grid, and just draw a straight line in the tempo view, I think you'll get what you want, as the result would be a perfect gradually increasing/decreasing of the space between notes. 

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by Andres Medina