Frequent Address Exceptions

billp

Recently I've been plagued with address exceptions (c0000005d). They occur mainly in Cakewalk.exe but occasionally in the kernel. There is no particular sequence of events or project that causes them. They usually occur after a period of midi editing in the PRV. Since the crashes are happening so often, I've set the ErrorDetectionLevel to 7 and have been able to capture a few mini dumps when CbB doesn't just disappear, which also happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might look for self-induced problems?

Here's some background:

• Projects usually have 3-4 instances of Kontakt with a few VI's in each, between 10-20 midi tracks on average.
  • CbB normally uses about half or two thirds of my 32GB of memory and maxes out at about 15-20% CPU per task manager when the projects play.
  • I'm up to date on Windows updates, drivers, and firmware.
  • Memory has been checked and is sound.
  • Latency monitor has no complaints

Specs:
A nice little machine built by Jim Roseberry
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
32GB RAM
RME Babyface Pro @2048 buffer size

@billp - I was getting these quite frequently - not just in Cakewalk - I was getting the same error with certain plugins in Reaper and Studio One.

A few days ago,  I installed the latest 2022-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H2 (KB5009543). After installing the update, all of the crashes went away.

I'm not saying this will fix your issue, but worth checking out.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the proper protocol is for getting this issue resolved. As I expected Win update had no effect. I have several minidumps (and many more "poof it's gone" experiences) all pointing to Cakewalk.exe, all address exceptions. These seem to be occurring under a variety of circumstances, but very frequently copy/pasting midi in PRV, the latest when I had just opened the project, selected, copied and pasted. Although I've had my share of blowups over the last 20+ years, this has reached a new level.

My machine specs are in the original post.

I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.