Question about Starting Up Cakewalk

Jerry Gerber

Hi All ,

Every day I start up Cakewalk the same exact way, I turn on the equipment in the same order, I boot up the computer with the exact same configuration.  But CW starts up differently:  Sometimes it starts up immediately, the Cakewalk logo screen comes up and a second or two later the program opens.  But most of the time, the CW logo screen comes on and it takes 16 seconds to CW to fully open.  I've never understood this, I've tried changing the order of when I turn on the USB MIDI interface,  and I've tried waiting a few minutes after booting up Windows 10 before launching CW.  But none of this affects the seeming randomness of why sometimes CW boots up immediately and sometimes it does not. 

If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Jerry

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

Sixteen WHOLE SECONDS?

Not to be an *****, but the only idea I have is to develop just a wee bit of patience.

Patience?  You've got to be kidding!  I've composed and produced 11 symphonies, 43 full symphonic movements among many other works for albums and soundtracks. Do you have any idea how much patience that requires?  It's not only about time, it's about understanding my tools and why they behave the way they do.   And besides, 16 seconds twice a day 6 days a week adds up to 192 seconds a week.  that's 9,984 seconds or over 166 minutes (2.7 hours) a year!  Do you know how much composing I can get done in 2.7 hours?  😁😃😁

p.s.  I meditate 45 minutes a day and have done so for the past 49 years..  Try that if YOU are serious about learning patience!  In fact, I will teach you how for free if you want...

Now, back to my original question, might anyone know what causes this behavior?

Edited by jsg

Really? You actually timed it?

45 minutes ago, jsg said:

Do you know how much composing I can get done in 2.7 hours?

In all actuality, probably nowhere near as much as if you chilled out a bit and quit counting every second.

That's quite an impressive output. I can't see how having to wait a few seconds now and then has hurt you.

45 minutes ago, jsg said:

p.s.  I meditate 45 minutes a day and have done so for the past 49 years..  Try that if YOU are serious about learning patience!  In fact, I will teach you how for free if you want...

Good for you. Meditation isn't supposed to be a contest, however.

Sorry if I offended you, but I spent too much time in some of my former jobs with a clock held up to me like it was a gun to my head by office bound jackwagons with no clue about the realities of things on the shop floor that I have a strongly negative reaction to anything remotely resembling that kind of stopwatch clicking mentality.

A minute or so would definitely be excessive but I think 16 seconds is barely noticeable.

8 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Really? You actually timed it?

In all actuality, probably nowhere near as much as if you chilled out a bit and quit counting every second.

That's quite an impressive output. I can't see how having to wait a few seconds now and then has hurt you.

Good for you. Meditation isn't supposed to be a contest, however.

Sorry if I offended you, but I spent too much time in some of my former jobs with a clock held up to me like it was a gun to my head by office bound jackwagons with no clue about the realities of things on the shop floor that I have a strongly negative reaction to anything remotely resembling that kind of stopwatch clicking mentality.

A minute or so would definitely be excessive but I think 16 seconds is barely noticeable.

You've taken my reply too seriously and you didn't offend me.  I guess my humor didn't come through very well. And yes, meditation is not a contest. But it is a great way to live a better life. 

2 hours ago, jsg said:

You've taken my reply too seriously and you didn't offend me.  I guess my humor didn't come through very well. And yes, meditation is not a contest. But it is a great way to live a better life. 

Exactly. If the same conversation happened face to face we'd probably be laughing together.. 

• Haha 1

Are you using this PC for something else than playing music? Like browsing the internet or playing  games. If you browse with it, cookies and spies etc. can really messed up a  PC. Personally I know I should not use it for anything else than a DAW, but I game and browse with it.

But every time I finish browsing I use a program called CCleaner to clean up behind me. Maybe that could help you. Not sure I can post a link here though.

And sometimes Windows is updating stuff and your DAW is at the end of that chain of event or in the middle of it.

I think this post can help you a little bit, here is an excerpt:

''DAW applications use the "Multimedia Class Scheduler" service (MMCSS) to ensure prioritized access to CPU resources, without denying CPU resources to lower-priority background applications.''

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-Optimize-Win-10-MMCSS-m3622091.aspx

Good luck.

53 minutes ago, Seb Julien said:

Are you using this PC for something else than playing music? Like browsing the internet or playing  games. If you browse with it, cookies and spies etc. can really messed up a  PC. Personally I know I should not use it for anything else than a DAW, but I game and browse with it.

But every time I finish browsing I use a program called CCleaner to clean up behind me. Maybe that could help you. Not sure I can post a link here though.

And sometimes Windows is updating stuff and your DAW is at the end of that chain of event or in the middle of it.

I think this post can help you a little bit, here is an excerpt:

''DAW applications use the "Multimedia Class Scheduler" service (MMCSS) to ensure prioritized access to CPU resources, without denying CPU resources to lower-priority background applications.''

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-Optimize-Win-10-MMCSS-m3622091.aspx

Good luck.

No, of course not.  It's a DAW in a professional music studio and the computer is dedicated solely to music production. I use CC Cleaner too but that isn't the issue.  Thanks for the weblink and tip.  Much appreciated!  I will check it out.

Jerry

Edited by jsg

On 1/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, Bill Phillips said:

Could it be that fast start (probably not the correct name) is enabled allowing your PC to restart quickly most, but not all, of the time?

If fast start is enabled, you should probably disable it. It can cause serious problems.

Fast start is a no-no, it causes all kinds of problems.  I never use it.

Yep another 👎 for fast start, turn it off.

CCleaner is a piece of junk IMO (both professional and personal - I work in CyberSec) and a great way to cop a dose of uninvited malware; especially if you use the freeware version. If you're on Win10 or later it serves zero value.

16 seconds sounds short but it's an age in IT terms, if it's not the VST scan then something else is going on. 

The only variable that affects my startup time is whether or not my MIDI controller is connected. Mines' a right old lump of a thing so I only plug it in when I need to. When I start CbB without it, it takes a little longer to start up - as though CbB is searching for it - but it's barely long enough to register.

They only other thing I can think of is power settings - especially around USB ports. There's a thread somewhere that sets out all the things you should consider to optimise a DAW PC and the stuff on power settings is well worth a read and can make a difference.

It's a process of elimination, these oddities are rarely easy to nail down.

Hope some of that helps

Andy

Edited by AndyB01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyB01 said:

Yep another 👎 for fast start, turn it off.

CCleaner is a piece of junk IMO (both professional and personal - I work in CyberSec) and a great way to cop a dose of uninvited malware; especially if you use the freeware version. If you're on Win10 or later it serves zero value.

16 seconds sounds short but it's an age in IT terms, if it's not the VST scan then something else is going on. 

The only variable that affects my startup time is whether or not my MIDI controller is connected. Mines' a right old lump of a thing so I only plug it in when I need to. When I start CbB without it, it takes a little longer to start up - as though CbB is searching for it - but it's barely long enough to register.

They only other thing I can think of is power settings - especially around USB ports. There's a thread somewhere that sets out all the things you should consider to optimise a DAW PC and the stuff on power settings is well worth a read and can make a difference.

It's a process of elimination, these oddities are rarely easy to nail down.

Hope some of that helps

Andy

Thanks Andy!