Freebies you actually use/never used

Magic Russ

These are the freebies I have found useful:

• Two Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound (included free through Audient ARC when I bought my ID4 Mkii interface)
  • bx_greenscreamer (free using one of those $20 off coupons)
  • bx_tuner (free using one of those $20 off coupons)
  • Softube Saturation Knob
  • STLTones NadIR cab IR loader
  • AirWindows Infrasonic and Ultrasonic filters
  • Black Rooster Audio VHL-3C filter
  • Infected Mushroom / Polyverse Wider
  • Martin Lüder's PG-8X synth
  • Voxengo SPAN frequency analyser
  • TBProAudio dpMeter5
  • Like 2

Freebies that I have used or currently use:

I haven't included any freebies that are no longer free (maybe one-time free deals).
Probably a lot more that I haven't thought of yet.

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

Free stuff I use regularly:

• Cakewalk by Bandlab
  • Dexed
  • PG8x
  • VOS
  • Arturia freebies
  • Overloud freebies
  • a lot of free samples/loops

...and a few more I don't list here to save some paper (and the forest)

Oh yeah Waves RBass where applicable :) 

Edited by chris.r

My list of freebies i have not used is super long but a few highlights (or would that be lowlights?):

Eventide Ultra Channel, which is actually a good plugin with an ugly, cluttered interface. 

Melda TurboEQ/Comp- aside from tradional melda ugly UI, so many choices felt overwhelming. I did open it just now and see that updates have given each module unique GUI now . In the past it was stock melda look 

Traction Waveform- really wanted to like, but unintuitive workflow( although some things are good in theory).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

Melda TurboEQ/Comp- aside from tradional melda ugly UI, so many choices felt overwhelming.

Isn't MTurboEQ just a clean, simplified interface (i.e. a bunch of macro knobs) to the overwhelming Melda DSP spaghetti beneath?

By the way, I really dig the spartan, generic Melda GUI's. Not an aesthetic pleasure, but everything looks and feels uniform and familiar when you jump between plugins, which kind of helps me concentrate on the task

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sarine said:

Isn't MTurboEQ just a clean, simplified interface (i.e. a bunch of macro knobs) to the overwhelming Melda DSP spaghetti beneath?

By the way, I really dig the spartan, generic Melda GUI's. Not an aesthetic pleasure, but everything looks and feels uniform and familiar when you jump between plugins, which kind of helps me concentrate on the task

Melda interfaces have grown on me, but having the same interface for EQs modelled after specific units was somewhat jarring at first. They have fixed that. This thread does remind me that I was planning on running this through plugin doctor

35 minutes ago, sarine said:

The updated TurboEQ gives you the option of the old Generic Melda GUI or a GUI that switches for each EQ type/emulation.  

Yes, you do not have the edit screen which hides all the DSP and advance settings.  I think of it a AutodynamicEQ with a limited control set on the front end and a different user interface.  It basically locks you into what feels more like a hardware platform with a number of built in limitations (like hardware) but the sonic charactaristics are Melda traditional DSP in the background.  

I own Turbo and MADEQ, honeslty Turbo could have easily been an add on feature to MADEQ rather than selling us another plugin.  I'm positive they both are basically the same backend with a customized GUI and limitations.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I own Turbo and MADEQ, honeslty Turbo could have easily been an add on feature to MADEQ rather than selling us another plugin.  I'm positive they both are basically the same backend with a customized GUI and limitations.  

I suspect as much. It's a testament to how powerful MADEQ actually is. Hence why I am going to have a look at it with plugin doctor.

2 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

I forgot little plate. It has been my plate reverb since it was initially launched for free

Yeah, that was a mighty fine SoundToys freebie. Got some of their other little ones for free to way back then. 

• Like 2

FrontDAW by UnitedPlugins was free when it first came out. I LOVE that thing! (no longer free)

ReverbSolo by Acon over on Reverb.com. I don't know what it is, but I love it on snares.

TDR Nova - a FREE and excellent dynamic EQ!

MEqualizer - besides being super easy to work with, the "Areas" feature and the "Auto-listen" (soloing) on this is an excellent EQ AND learning tool.

So many more, but these are the ones that jump to mind.

--- edit ---

The HOFA 4U Freebies deserves a mention, especially the Meter, Fader, & M/S-Pan

Edited by mibby
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Hear hear.  I consider myself to have started with the initial CbB issue (after a 20-year break), and I am very grateful to those who invested in the product. And you're right, the topic here is about stuff we got for free. You get the updates for free, but that's what you paid for (an excellent investment).

Regarding the stuff I got for free (or as Plugin Boutique "with any purchase" deals) and use, the many A|A|S soundpacks (including Swatches), ObjeqDelay, TRacks FX, (especially the 670 copy), several Meldaproduction FX and Monastery Grand, BL Gain, Waves Element,  Orchestools ROMplers, multiple Plugin Alliance FX I got with no-minimum vouchers, Drummic'a (and Kontakt Player), Sampletank 4 (and Syntronik and Memory V), Voxengo Boogex, Mastering the Mix LEVELS (on every project), Valhalla Supermassive, Cymatics Origin, Slate Fresh Air, Cockos REAFir, Ozsoft Xpander, Boz Panipulator, Padspheres, Deep Jupiter, Drumazon, Sigmund, Combo Model V, Speedrum Lite, Surrealistic MG-1 Plus, luftikus lkjb EQ.

As for ones that I never use, I have so many plug-ins that I tend to keep them weeded out, so those are harder to recall. For years, I downloaded them while I was learning what I wanted in that type of plug-in and eventually found my go-to's. Mostly ones that I was psyched to get and then haven't used: Arturia Filter Mini, Soundtoys Little Plate (I know, an excellent plate, but I don't use plates), anything I've ever tried from Audiffex, AudioThing Things Texture, iZotope DDLY, Pulsar Smasher, and any number of amp sims, compressors and EQ's that I went through.

Getting MTurboEQ and MTurboComp ended my search for anything else in their categories. I don't need to try any more character EQ's or compressors.

Yup. How could I forget Combo Model V! I love that thing…forgot that it was free:)

• Like 1