Reaper updated to 6.45

cclarry

15 minutes ago, Esteban Villanova said:

I don't look at any of the things you  mention, except for music. Everything has become a parody of itself and culture is at a dead end IMO.

Only garbage entertainment on television, commercials on radio. Streaming services aren't remarkably better. I don't watch nor read the news, but it's not like I don't know what's up as everyone talks about the same things, because broadcasting. Why ask me what I think about the thing of the week/month, didn't the news outlet clearly communicate to you how a normative citizen is expected to think and feel about the thing?

I also absolutely hate feeds as a concept. News feeds, video feeds... whatever other kinds of feeds the human specimens of the web 2.0 came up with. I think we're nearing the limits of the human brain's capacity to absorb and organize the information without becoming afflicted with premature dementia. Technology was supposed to free us, but here we are voluntarily dedicating our personal time and energy to doing trivial processing tasks, including (but not limited to) psychologically regressing to tribal savages on social media as if to throw the last desperate tantrum, the purest expression of humanity, before technology finally frees us from being human altogether.

This forum, the YouTube landing page (which I'm too lowly to ignore) and recommendations, and whoever's on my phone are barely within healthy limits for me.

15 minutes ago, Esteban Villanova said:

To be very clear with yourself about what information you let in and what you exclude is a fundamental skill nowadays. 

Well said and very true. I feel so lucky that I wasn't born in the 2000's, there's enough trash deposited in my brain as it is.

Now git yer dang kids off my lawn! 🚯 

• Like 1

@ZincT  Recently changed the theme in REAPER to one called ECHOLOT 1.10 ... It basically turns Reaper UI into CW UI, here you go.

Track called INTO THE BLUE we are working on at the moment - http://www.colourtide.com

Requires cross platform DAW as keyboard player and Drummer are on MAC. SO this Reaper proj file is back and forth between 5 on Google drive :D

REAPER_CW.thumb.jpg.09d68ca44c7fa3bf2e39abd3a84b3785.jpg

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 6

The arguably best thing about Reaper is arguably the worst thing about Reaper.  The fact that most of the applause I see about Reaper mentions customization is a reminder that many find it less than appealing out the box. Reaper's model will never lead to it being "my favorite artist's primary DAW" but that's ok. The model and pricing scheme is just right for maintaining a steady base who can do anything any other DAW can do. 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:14 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

Requires cross platform DAW as keyboard player and Drummer are on MAC.

@aidan o driscoll ya, an ongoing issue for me, used to manage this when everyone was on PT, but pretty much done with that going forward. Getting by with transfering audio files atm, but wondering if bringing everyone up to speed on Reaper -might- be more productive. unforunately, the groundwork would end up on my plate and as mentioned not sure if the  flexibility/customization is a blessing or a curse...

? do the Mac only members of your project use Reaper as a main DAW or is it only for shared tasks?

? And out of curiosity, do all members use the same theme?

TIA. 

2 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

who can do anything any other DAW can do.

And a lot more! 😉

I have just started to use Reaper (some months ago) and I have found minimum a dozen things that I could not do in CbB or in the other DAWs that I own (AFAIK)!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, marled said:

I have just started to use Reaper (some months ago) and I have found minimum a dozen things that I could not do in CbB or in the other DAWs that I own (AFAIK)!

Sounds familiar. I keep finding dozens of things in Nuendo that I couldn't do in Nuendo.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jackson white said:

@aidan o driscoll ya, an ongoing issue for me, used to manage this when everyone was on PT, but pretty much done with that going forward. Getting by with transfering audio files atm, but wondering if bringing everyone up to speed on Reaper -might- be more productive. unforunately, the groundwork would end up on my plate and as mentioned not sure if the  flexibility/customization is a blessing or a curse...

? do the Mac only members of your project use Reaper as a main DAW or is it only for shared tasks?

? And out of curiosity, do all members use the same theme?

TIA. 

@jackson white

do the Mac only members of your project use Reaper as a main DAW or is it only for shared tasks?

Yes .. both are as you said "pretty much done with PT going forward" .. so Reaper now main DAW and havent looked back ( Keyboard Player also a techy, pro sound engineer for years .. said its best move he has made, glad to see back of PT )

And out of curiosity, do all members use the same theme?

Yip .. the basic out of box theme, finding no problem with it. As with me, found it easy to transition. In many ways a DAW is a DAW once you know what similar features in general you are looking for. Took me about an hour and then all good. Youtube reaper channels are your friend. I just pretty much search for How to do xyz in reaper and its easy from there tbh.

Getting by with transferring audio files atm, but wondering if bringing everyone up to speed on Reaper -might- be more productive

In a word YES. Shifting OMFs and Wav files back and forth was a pain in the ar*e and just led to slowing down productivity and confusion. We have even got to point of streamlining plugins, keyboard player and myself have similar. For drummer to mess with ideas before committing to real drums we are using the FREE Steve Slate Drums plugin ( sort of similar to XLN Drums but gratis ). Singer and bass player are happy with full track WAV w/o Vocals/Bass lines + bpm .. load that into CW and record respective lines. Send back the vocal / bass recorded wavs, we drop into Reaper then. 

And elsewhere, initially anyway for EFX sticking with Reapers native plugs. If the odd track needs a plug either of us has but other doesnt we use the right click FREEZE/STEMS feature which is real nice. We dont freeze the track, the stems feature creates a 2nd track as an audio version of the midi while leaving both in the project with the midi muted.  Also then use the track folder feature to tidy up the project .. so if a few midi tracks muted as they are now also stemmed, I put the midi tracks in a track folder out of the way ( but still  there if needed )

TBH we have all been at this craic for a long while and beyond getting sidetracked in all this flexibility/customization thing. Its a side show really. Best leave reaper as is out of box. After that its just open up tracks, add vsts, efx and record. For us its about the cross platform thing and being able to share common project files via cloud w/o having to mess with 3rd party export niceties and the like.

I only  switched to that CW theme to have a look.  I like it but can easily work with the original theme, its not a bother, after all its only aesthetics :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marled said:

And a lot more!

It's never a matter of "I wish my DAW could do this," but "I know my DAW can do this." Time after time, I do a search for something I want Reaper to do, and 9 out of 10 times I'm able to find out exactly how to do it.  The ability to create custom actions to do just about anything is super powerful.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

just open up tracks, add vsts, efx and record. For us its about the cross platform thing and being able to share common project files

^this! thx, very useful answer, appreciate the insight/comments wrt ur experience.

we do a lot of writing/arrangement work and been tracking remotely given everything pandemic but the projects have had to run through me which is not efficient or desirable. Key CW features are arranger/ripple edit/take lanes/speed comping, find the mixing workflow intuitive and would make good use of notation if it ported. The export update in CW has helped but my peeps are still mostly Apple users. 

Reaper has been on the radar for a while, but ima bit leery of getting sucked into the potential for customization and the SWS? extensions. And it might be challenge for the first call drummer, great player, but my drum vst has more patience....

Edited by jackson white
clarified point on notation

2 hours ago, jackson white said:

^this! thx, very useful answer, appreciate the insight/comments wrt ur experience.

we do a lot of writing/arrangement work and been tracking remotely given everything pandemic but the projects have had to run through me which is not efficient or desirable. Key CW features are arranger/ripple edit/take lanes/speed comping, find the mixing workflow intuitive and would make good use of notation if it ported. The export update in CW has helped but my peeps are still mostly Apple users. 

Reaper has been on the radar for a while, but ima bit leery of getting sucked into the potential for customization and the SWS? extensions. And it might be challenge for the first call drummer, great player, but my drum vst has more patience....

We are using REAPER default vanilla whichever you want to call it :D .. no extensions or customizations needed.

If I could I would use CW all around but not possible as its PC only. So Reaper just as another tool makes it easier to work with Mac people without getting into exporting wavs back and forth and having to change the originating midi track and resend etc. As is reaper, the reaper project file is cross platform AS IS. Obviously if using plugins try stick with the ones that come with reaper so all singing from same hymn sheet while developing a track. Otherwise before sending the project file make stems out of the tracks with plugins other dont have ( right click track .. Render/Freeze tracks .. Render tracks to stereo stem tracks ) 

( I use CW & azslow3s reaper util dll which allows CW projects to be opened in  reaper, but thats again optional. )

Are you maybe over thinking this with regard to others finding challenges that are not there? You only need to use as much of reaper as ye need. If members are reasonably proficient with other DAWs I dont think they would find it very difficult. 

Take Lanes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hrr5QrjgqM

Ripple Editing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFSJEt3VOic

Comping - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zyld5BicWQ

BTW .. not trying to convert you from CW to Reaper. Just use it as a another tool while working with your MAC people to make things a bit easier I think anyway .. or at least until Bandlab bring out Cakewalk MAC :D

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

17 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Are you maybe over thinking this with regard to others finding challenges that are not there?

Maybe, thx for asking. the tech issues always end up on my plate but np for me to customize/code the tools we use. 

17 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

If members are reasonably proficient with other DAWs I dont think they would find it very difficult. 

the nature of the problem actually.  good musos, but tech not a high priority for them (a bit of a cliche but maybe why they're apple users?) used to track in person, but trying to work through a bit of pandemic diaspora. 

the thought (hope?) was to minimize the tech overhead as much as possible and create a shared workflow/template/setup for a "plug and play" environment to work up parts. the perceived DIY nature of Reaper is a -major- deterrent but perhaps the best candidate to explore. so ya, probably overthinking it, should just make time for a test case and do a bit of learning by doing. 

23 minutes ago, jackson white said:

the tech issues always end up on my plate but np for me to customize/code the tools we use

[ ... ]

the nature of the problem actually.  good musos, but tech not a high priority for them

[ ... ]

the thought (hope?) was to minimize the tech overhead as much as possible and create a shared workflow/template/setup for a "plug and play" environment to work up parts.

Resource management and return-of-investment considerations aside, generally speaking this actually sounds like a combination that could work. If one had the time and wits, they could customize the crap out of Reaper and hide the stuff you (or they) don't want them to worry about, and provide an interface tailor-made for the non-techie artist type. Or see if there already exists something in that vein and use that as a springboard.

• Great Idea 1

@jackson white  To start you off on common plugs cross platform we have started using the FREE Steve Slate Drums. Not bad at all, similar to XLN in a way.

https://stevenslatedrums.com/ssd5/#SSD5FREE

This is good for a drummer to noodle with for ideas before actually doing the lines on a kit proper.

Another thing we did was the drummer initially recording "loops" with correct bpm/time sig which allows us to use these ideas as loops initially while building out a track

@aidan o driscoll  thx, drums are a sore point atm. pretty much an exclusive BFD user here given a focus on "organic/acoustic" tracks, got ambushed by the authorization scheme buried in the InMusic relaunch about a year ago, looking into alternatives, but finding very little that doesn't have too much processing baked into the sound.  some of the SD3 kits mention "raw" samples, but don't appear to be as useful wrt to cymbals/resonance/ambience options/etc and so far not easily finding substitutes for the gotos we've been using. 

spent the last 6 months setting up our first call drummer to record decent audio which went well enough that he was able to release a sample pack of his own, but getting him to like and use Reaper will be a bigger challenge.  🙂

@sarine  ROI is mos def the consideration here, rethinking how to get anything done given the current/ongoing circumstances. Hope to keep any customization simple enough to survive a Mac OS update. If there's a viable best practice out there, haven't heard of it yet. Reaper's on the radar given it's cross platform, customizable and compact with a reputation for stability, but not familiar enough with that ecosystem to know where to go looking for useful input.

@jackson white As well as Reapers cross platform /  customizable / compact advantages another big one for us is ITS FREE FOR A DECENT PERIOD - 60 days evaluation. That can a biggy when getting people to buy in. They can try it without costing them bar a bit of time. So when you are working with a group a big barrier is cost .. Reaper doesnt have that issue. And then even with the purchase price after 60 days its only $60.

You can use it for 60 days evaluation with only a small temp nag screen popping up for a short period at load. After that its $60 to buy if one makes use of it which is not a deal breaker