Reaper updated to 6.45

cclarry

REAPER 6.45:

Changelog items below may include • links to more information.

Media items: use very fast peaks normalization if possible rather than reading source media (6.44 regression)

Normalize: do not crash if normalization loudness analysis is canceled by user

Plus everything in 6.44:

JSFX

fix memory bounds checking on aarch64/armv7l •

fix gfx_showmenu() related issues (deadlock when undo point added, possible crash when MCP embedded) •

if REAPER has an external editor configured for .jsfx, use for open in external editor button

improve 32-bit x86 implementation (consistent rounding with other architectures)

scripts can write to #dbg_desc to write debug messages visible on main plug-in UI •

show code sections in IDE right-click menu

show context information about built-in variables in IDE

do not allow export_buffer_to_project() to be called from @slider •

allow override of refresh rate using options:gfx_hz=60 etc

add options:gfx_idle to allow @gfx section to run when UI is closed (detectable via gfx_ext_flags having 2 set)

add options:gfx_idle_only to allow UI-less plug-ins to run @gfx code at idle

Media items

add option to close item notes window on enter key

save item notes when closing item notes window via action

add support for various loudness measurements (LUFS, etc) when normalizing media items

when normalizing multiple items to an integrated loudness value, support either normalizing each item separately or normalizing the combined (sequential) output of all items

ReaScript

add CalculateNormalization function

do not apply render-config changes when calling GetSetProjectInfo in get mode on rendering configuration •

do not defer indefinitely when calling reaper.defer() with no parameters from Lua •

properly support passing binary-safe strings to extension-registered functions •

Render

ensure final master render peaks are displayed after normalizing

fix files left open when normalization/limiting is interrupted •

fix render peaks display when normalizing and negative project start time offset exists •

fix saving of presets with normalize enabled affecting old presets •

Actions

add "erase" as a default synonym for delete/clear/remove

do not warn on program startup if too many custom actions exist (only warn when creating)

macOS

add per-theme option to not use themed window colors when in dark-mode (enabled by default theme)

improve performance of Live FX multiprocessing, especially on M1 systems

Projects

improve behavior relating to project notes flags and loading projects in REAPER 6.38 and earlier •

on new project without saved project settings, set recording/render format to 24-bit wav

ReaSynth

fix extra sine oscillator when portamento is used •

fix stuck note when portamento is used in certain instances

Super8

fix recording glitches that could occur during looped project-synchronized playback •

support exporting media into project via MIDI CC when UI is not open

Windows

fix listview drawing glitches when editing values and scrolling •

support very long pathnames (note: for shell browsing/etc to work with these, the LongPathsEnabled registry key must be set)

improve display responsiveness of progress bars

Control surfaces

fix CSURF_EXT_SETSENDVOLUME notifications when in write mode and fader-scaled envelopes

Custom action editor

fix entering certain characters on macOS •

Glue

if format supports BWF, write start offset when exploding multichannel audio to new files •

Keyboard

fix various cross-platform key aliasing corner cases

Linux

prevent closing windows via close button when a popup menu is open •

Media explorer

improve selection behavior after navigating with arrow keys on Windows

Metadata

fix setting XMP marker metadata •

MIDI editor

add action to insert note at edit cursor without advancing

Pan

fix manual entry of pan values when preference is set to display pan in dB •

Razor edits

do not delete/cut/copy razor edits when cursor focus is on track control panels

ReaEQ

add Parallel Band Pass filter mode •

ReaSurroundPan

correct 9.1.4 speaker arrangement, add 9.1.6 •

VST

scan %LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\Common\VST3 on Windows

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Been using REAPER alot recently .. very nice DAW tbh.

Reason for usage .. Drummer and keyboard player are both on MACs so cant use Cakewalk :( .. Saviour is a nice utility that allows one open CW native files inside Reaper 

Hi Aidan, I have also been using Reaper more than usual recently, and I'm really liking its MIDI routing capability.

How are you finding Saviour? Do CW files translate well to Reaper?

1 hour ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Been using REAPER alot recently .. very nice DAW tbh.

I agree! I have been using it a lot for time stretching (with and without pitch change) and for timing corrections (like AudioSnap). It is absolutely solid. I never stumbled on bugs or crashes until now! Also it allows to specify details to the stretch algorithms (e.g. elastique Pro) for fine tuning. And the small fingerprint (memory, cpu) is a delight (e.g. I use the same plugins like in CbB, but the plugin scan is about 5 times faster in Reaper!).

• Like 3

Reaper is my #1 DAW  for many reasons.   It's rock solid, it's probably the most CPU efficient DAW, and it's completely customizable. 

I have created and modified menus that fit MY workflow.      You can change the pull-down menus so they represent exactly what you want/need.  You can create custom menu bars for use in different parts of the program (MIDI editor, mixer etc).   

And there are hundreds of skins available with different looks, and each skin is easily modified.

It's a deep, powerful DAW.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Michael A.D. said:

Reaper is my #1 DAW  for many reasons.   It's rock solid, it's probably the most CPU efficient DAW, and it's completely customizable

I have created and modified menus that fit MY workflow.      You can change the pull-down menus so they represent exactly what you want/need.  You can create custom menu bars for use in different parts of the program (MIDI editor, mixer etc).   

And there are hundreds of skins available with different looks, and each skin is easily modified.

See, YMMV. This is why I don't like Reaper. Disclaimer: I have ADHD.

Having 20 years of experience in diddling & doodling with Linux and FOSS (before the days of Ubuntu and systemd) just for the shits'n'giggles (and learning), I don't see this as much as a feature as lack of effort and direction in architecture and/or design. In my opinion, Reaper was a lackluster DAW out-of-the-box with insane, endless spirals of submenus and general lack of cohesion.

The developer basically regards the user experience as low priority and has delegated it to the community. The community has done admirable effort in towing the UX forward, which proves that there is demand for that line of thinking and preferences and justifies the modes of mind and operation. It reminds me an awful lot of the Linux & FOSS mentality and culture, with zealotry and all.

I'm not part of that community and I don't use Reaper because I no longer enjoy this activity. Customizing the heck out of my productive tools has proven to be a main distractor and killer of inspiration and productivity for me time and time again. No matter how imaginably slick of a workflow I might be able to devise around the process, my experience makes me expect to lose more than I'd gain. I pay a software developer for the UI design and sane defaults. Sometimes they deliver, sometimes they don't. Nuendo is far from perfect and I detest some of their design decisions, but it's stable, familiar and I find my way around it. Even if the ways are sometimes unreasonably curved, the fact that I don't have to continuously reflect on what I'm doing is far more important than saving a few seconds here and there.

Just to drive the point home: I also own a 3d printer and use Emacs.

I bought the printer as a kit and ended up deconstructing and reconstructing it until everything except the frame, heatplate, carriages, belts, bolts and some wires - had been replaced, and the rest slightly modified. In the end I had a pretty good printer, but my interest in using it had faded.

Then there's Emacs. I don't want to even talk about it. I'd rather disassemble my 3d printer, shake & stir, and rebuild. Twice.

I'm not arguing that Reaper is not good software, just that the model doesn't appeal to me. The thing that made me ditch it, though, was that (presumably) the UI or process scheduler seemed to choke when having a large number of plugin windows open. So when I opened a project it popped up all the windows from the last session and just kept jumping between them indefinitely in rapid succession while the interface was totally unresponsive. Granted, an edge case, but it was just the final nail in the coffin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

Reaper is my #1 DAW  for many reasons.   It's rock solid, it's probably the most CPU efficient DAW, and it's completely customizable. 

Reaper is my #1 DAW for all the reasons you mentioned and much more. Reaper's performance can not be matched. If you like the look of Cakewalk, check out a theme called Echolot. The guy who made it really nailed it.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255037

Echolot-01.PNG

Edited by Filbin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

20 hours ago, ZincT said:

Hi Aidan, I have also been using Reaper more than usual recently, and I'm really liking its MIDI routing capability.

@ZincT Not sure where I got saviour from :D 

Its a utility made by @azslow3 .. I posted about it recently here:

The direct link to the DLL / Util is:

https://www.azslow.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=57 

It works fine. Its a DLL added to a folder for Reaper. Then OPEN in Reaper and choose a CW file. It does interpret some tracks, maybe routing as folder tracks but thats easy to clean up after.

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Thanks 1

REAPER’s defaults ARE insane and I strongly dislike their lack of interest for UI. I dislike the smug attitude with which they dismiss the need for it even more, and their need to push their political views in version names even more than that.

That being said, there IS a “light at the end of the tunnel” when you spend the time customizing it to your needs, even if it feels like there’s no end for it. 

Its performance, stability and flexibility is truly unmatched by anything else, and I really need that extra juice with my old laptop.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Esteban Villanova said:

REAPER’s defaults ARE insane and I strongly dislike their lack of interest for UI. I dislike the smug attitude with which they dismiss the need for it even more, and their need to push their political views in version names even more than that.

Taking into account a possibility to make the interface almost unrecognizable as REAPER (f.e. https://ultraschall.fm/ ), own (open source) and quite genius  approach for basic multi-platform (and accessible, unlike in other DAWs...) GUI and own (not open source) working space GUI engine, I don't know why you think "they" have no interest for UI.

And when you write "they" and what "they" push, you better check the complete list with names and related comments at https://www.cockos.com/team.php

I mean many things "they" "push" should be interpreted with some sense of humor 😏

BTW many decisions was driven by technical part, far from easy to understand for non-programmers, but possible to follow with sufficient effort ("they" also answer on related questions, when asked correctly,  the question make sense and the explanation is way smaller then a book...)

23 hours ago, ZincT said:

https://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,406.0.html

describe some differences in approach, what is converted, how and why.

• Thanks 1

I wanted very much to try Reaper, but I use a 36" 4k television as a monitor and can't get it to appear correctly.  The print and icons were so small I needed a magnifying glass.  I tried to find a solution online, but none worked.  I'm sure there was a work around, but I gave up after several tries.  If I remember correctly, I had the same issue with Studio One 3, which I bought after the Gibson Sonar fiasco. 

Anybody ever have those issues?

1 hour ago, Jesse Screed said:

I wanted very much to try Reaper, but I use a 36" 4k television as a monitor and can't get it to appear correctly.  The print and icons were so small I needed a magnifying glass.  I tried to find a solution online, but none worked.  I'm sure there was a work around, but I gave up after several tries.  If I remember correctly, I had the same issue with Studio One 3, which I bought after the Gibson Sonar fiasco. 

Anybody ever have those issues?

The Smooth 6 theme was developed for hi-res:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228983

smooth6.png

Edited by Filbin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Esteban Villanova said:

I dislike the smug attitude with which they dismiss the need for it even more, and their need to push their political views in version names even more than that.

If this is a problem for you, then I guess you don't look at TV, movies anymore, don't listen to radio and music anymore, nor read any information from international organizations, 'cos all this is full of political undermining! 😉

1 hour ago, azslow3 said:

Taking into account a possibility to make the interface almost unrecognizable as REAPER (f.e. https://ultraschall.fm/ ), own (open source) and quite genius  approach for basic multi-platform (and accessible, unlike in other DAWs...) GUI and own (not open source) working space GUI engine, I don't know why you think "they" have no interest for UI.

You're conflating UI design with API & implementation.

It is only courteous to assume he meant UI design, and that "no interest" means "little interest" (in contrast with something else).

The "genius" of whatever technology they're using is not really a point of interest to me as a non-tinkering end-user. (Although, now that you mentioned it, I have to look it up, and if I end up with a fully customized Reaper I will find you and I will kill you.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, marled said:

If this is a problem for you, then I guess you don't look at TV, movies anymore, don't listen to radio and music anymore, nor read any information from international organizations, 'cos all this is full of political undermining! 😉

I don't look at any of the things you  mention, except for music. Everything has become a parody of itself and culture is at a dead end IMO.  To be very clear with yourself about what information you let in and what you exclude is a fundamental skill nowadays. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 12:12 PM, ZincT said:

Do CW files translate well to Reaper?

In the 4 or 5 tests I did back in the dark days of Gibson shut down, I'd say yes.

One caveat. Others have said frozen Instruments tracks (and maybe unfrozen too) did not translate well. I never use instrument tracks so I cannot confirm or deny this.

Edited by Bapu
  • Thanks 2