Import tracks from other project files

Jeremy Jensen

I often find myself creating different versions of projects for various reasons, mainly to save older performances or mixes. I think it would be really handy to be able to import individual tracks from a different project without having to open up that project and copy/paste into the project I'm working in. I think a couple of the other DAWs have some version of this functionality. 

Thank you! I love Cakewalk so much.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

+1 to this.

Although what you can do already, is drag/drop the project from the media browser into your existing project.

There's a couple of gotchas...

1. It will import all the tracks, so you'll need to delete the ones you don't need
2. Instrument tracks are split into separate Audio & MIDI tracks, and can be tricky to wire-up again if you've already got a fairly complicated existing project.

Edited by msmcleod

I've done it with 50 or so tracks without issue.

It did take its time though on some projects.

Out of all the methods of importing stuff, I've found the media browser to be by far the most reliable. Even projects from ancient versions of Sonar that would refuse to load normally could be successfully imported by dragging from the media browser.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This may be my stupid idea but... it's convenient if realized. 
For example in the media browser, project files (cwp) act like a folder and you can expand it. So, tracks of that project are there and can drag a track or tracks what you need into current project.

Edited by HIBI
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1