BIAB VST3 Doesn't show up

john r payne

Longtime BIAB user but first time setting it up as a plugin. Working with latest 2022 BIAB and Cakewalk. Followed the instruction video but don't see the plugin in CW.

I've verified that the BIAB plugin file (Band-in-a-Box DAW VST3 vst.plugin dated 11/30/2021) is in C:\Programs\Common Files\VST3 and I've verified that CW's scan path is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3, and I even deleted that scan path and recreated and rescanned.

Still doesn't show up in CW. 

John Payne

34 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Have you tried a RESET then rescan?

There is no need to perform a rescan after a VST reset.

A scan is performed as part of the reset.

Like all manual scanning operations, a VST reset should be performed from preferences and it is a good idea to enable "Generate Scan Log" so if the reset does not fix the problem, there is a log which may help find a solution.

12 minutes ago, scook said:

A scan is performed as part of the reset.

I could not find where, in the CbB manual, that it says a scan is automatically performed as part of the reset.

If this was the case, I would expect it to be here: 

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x22B07

Yet the word “RESET” only occurs once on that page.

Scrolling down, I see the following statement:

“Reset. Click this button to remove all scanning records and settings from all your VST plug-ins. Use this button if you want to completely start over” 

It does not say that a scan is performed with the reset.

Maybe I am not looking in the right place.....

32 minutes ago, scook said:

A VST reset

1. clears the VST inventory in the registry then
  2. performs a scan.

Step 1 is the only difference between a VST reset and a manual scan.

Is that in the CbB manual (if so, link?) or is that one of those things you either know or you don’t?

Further more, when you do click the RESET button, the dialogue that appears clearly states:

“This will reset the configuration settings for all your VST plug-ins to defaults.VST plug-ins will be unavailable until a VST scan is performed”

So, in light of what is in the CbB user guide,  and the textual contents of this dialogue box, I will continue to recommend a VST Scan after the VST reset.

Edited by Promidi
Additional information.

4 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Is that in the CbB manual (if so, link?) or is that one of those things you either know or you don’t?

I have not looked this up.

I know it to be true.

You can prove it for yourself by running a VST reset without an additional scan. All plug-ins will be there.

If you want documentation, make sure to generate a scan log with the reset,

Then run a scan and generate a scan log. All the plug-ins should already be scanned.

2 hours ago, scook said:

I have not looked this up.

I know it to be true.

You can prove it for yourself by running a VST reset without an additional scan. All plug-ins will be there.

If you want documentation, make sure to generate a scan log with the reset,

Then run a scan and generate a scan log. All the plug-ins should already be scanned.

Well, regardless, when I performed a reset without the subsequent scan (on a non production PC) , it cleared the VST plugin inventory in the registry and in Cakewalk (This manifest on a Cakewalk exit and restart)

So, in my mind, the user guide and the reset dialogue box prevails.  I am going to continue to mention the scan with the reset.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

in the prefs, this text could be easily updated to mention that it rescans after resetting:

Reset. Click this button to remove all scanning records and settings from all your VST plug-ins. Use this button if you want to completely start over.

Scook, the VST2 dll is in C:\Programs\Common Files\VST2.  The BIAB installer inserts those VST files.

When I look at properties of the BIAB VST dll's  just after scanned by CW I see that the were just accessed.  So it appears CW looks at the files and for some reason rejects them? 

17 minutes ago, john r payne said:

So it appears CW looks at the files and for some reason rejects them? 

Is that what the scan log says?

I assume 

18 minutes ago, john r payne said:

C:\Programs\Common Files\VST2

is actually "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2" and this is in the scan path in preferences.

Have you looked under instruments? Depending on your layout, on the far right select the Plugins tab and below the Plugins tab select Instruments and mine is under Uncategorized. I don't use Biab as a plugin, but thought I'd check it out...

Edited by rsinger