MAudio Oxygem Pro Mini keyboard with Cakewalk

Dan Lee

Question

I just got a Pro Mini controller and would like to figure a way to configure it to work with the transport controls and faders,ect.. with cake walk..I am wondering if cake walk will respond to MACKIE or HUI settings or if there is a better approach/method...I know that it will take the MPC Beats program as a VST and am pursuing that aspect. again i am new to cakewalk and would really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you in advance for any help with this..

Edited by Dan Lee

4 answers to this question

On 1/7/2022 at 3:59 PM, Dan Lee said:

I am wondering if cake walk will respond to MACKIE or HUI settings or if there is a better approach/method...

Cakewalk can work with Mackie or HUI (both with standard "Mackie control" surface plug-in, check that plug-in configuration dialog). Note that original Mackie/HUI has completely different type of knobs, control 8+1 strip and has more buttons then your controller (including all piano keys...).

So it can happened you are better served by ACT MIDI or Generic surface. If you still can't configure everything the way you like, there is AZ Controller (not a part of Cakewalk, should be installed separately).

In all cases, reading the documentation from M-Audio (for your device) and Cakewalk (how to use particular plug-in) is recommended.

Edited by azslow3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, azslow3 said:

Cakewalk can work with Mackie or HUI (both with standard "Mackie control" surface plug-in, check that plug-in configuration dialog). Note that original Mackie/HUI has completely different type of knobs, control 8+1 strip and has more buttons then your controller (including all piano keys...).

So it can happened you are better served by ACT MIDI or Generic surface. If you still can't configure everything the way you like, there is AZ Controller (not a part of Cakewalk, should be installed separately).

In all cases, reading the documentation from M-Audio (for your device) and Cakewalk (how to use particular plug-in) is recommended.

is there a guide or referense source that gives details and/or specific limitations that you would reccomend? Thanks for your feedback.

I am not a big fun of Cakewalk online documentation, so I prefer (big) PDF documentation:

https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf

Starting page 1388.

There is no explicit comparison there, so in short:

• Mackie has fixed functionality. Your device doesn't have sufficient controls to imitate complete MCU. As the consequence, things will probably work not the way you like and you can't change that.
  • ACT MIDI supports 16 continuous controls (faders or knobs) and 8+1 buttons (the last one is "shift"). That is its primary limitation (in case you need more controls). It is relatively flexible in assigning, but you have to do this yourself (no pre-defined functionality). No feedback (no LEDs).
  • Generic surface supports unlimited number of physical controls, but unlike ACT MIDI it has not "banks". So physical control will do one thing (till you use banks on device level)
  • AZ Controller supports almost everything possible for Surfaces in Cakewalk. But it is more difficult to configure compare to other (till someone upload ready to use preset for particular device, I don't think that exist for the moment).