Using BlueARP in Cakewalk

hhal9000

It just so happens that I got this and was playing with it yesterday and this is what I figured out:

First, you need two MIDI tracks. Then you insert Blue Arp and then whatever synthesizer you want to drive with it. Ensure that MIDI out is enabled on Blue Arp.

The first MIDI track is the one you play on. Route it to Blue Arp. On the second, route the input in from Blue Arp and the output to your synthesizer.

I hope my explanation is clear enough.

• Like 1

The routing is not as complex as what the images above show.

It takes two instrument tracks: one for BlueArp and one for Vital. Additional MIDI tracks are not necessary.

Input on the Vital track must be set to BlueArp. It is not clear from the images below but the input on the Vital track is set to BlueArp 1 - Omni.

To play both interactively is no different than playing Vital alone, that is input echo must be enabled. In this case both tracks must have input echo enabled, BlueArp needs input echo enabled to send data to Vital and Vital needs input echo enabled for the BlueArp data to be heard. IOW, to monitor the result of data streaming into a track from its input, input echo must be enabled.

lOJL3Ka.png

When playing back data recorded on the BlueArp track, input echo is not necessary on the BlueArp track because it is playing data from clips in its track, but input echo is required for Vital because Vital is playing the data received on its input.

ICxVbBz.png

Now that you have a completely worked example, review the post I linked above about how to route MIDI data between synths and FXs. It may help reinforce this concept.

• Like 1

To monitor any plug-in that has no data in its tracks must have input echo enabled.

Input echo is not necessary when tracks have data because the data is driving the plug-in.

Input echo may be enabled on as many tracks as necessary, but it is important make sure the appropriate inputs are set for all tracks. That said, keeping input echo to a minimum is a good idea. It is very easy to have unwanted data coming into a track with a bad input setting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

After a lot of trial and error I've come up with this step by step sequence:

1. Open an 'Empty Project'

2. Insert 'Synth of choice' with midi source and first synth audio output.

3. Insert 'Blue Arp' with midi source and first synth audio output.

4. Write some notes into the 'Synth of choice' track.

5. Turn on 'Input Echo' on both midi tracks. 

6. Set output of 'Synth of choice' to 'Blue Arp'.

7.Set output of 'Blue Arp' to 'Synth of choice'.

8. Set input of 'Synth of choice' to 'All external inputs, midi omni'

9. Set input of 'Blue Arp' to 'Blue Arp, midi omni'.

10. Modify the settings of Blue Arp by clicking the midi icon of 'Synth of choice'.

11. Modify the settings of Synth of choice by clicking the midi icon of 'Blue Arp'.

Have just tested these instructions from a blank slate and all works fine.

These instructions are mainly for me so that I don't forget what I did months down the track.

Problems, issues etc I'll attempt to answer.

2 hours ago, grahamwarren said:

After a lot of trial and error I've come up with this step by step sequence:

1. Open an 'Empty Project'

2. Insert 'Synth of choice' with midi source and first synth audio output.

3. Insert 'Blue Arp' with midi source and first synth audio output.

A more straightforward method to use after step 3 above:

4. Set MIDI input on "Synth of choice" track to BlueARP. (If you do not see that option make sure that "enable MIDI output" is selected in the VST dropdown in the BlueARP plugin window.)

5. Set MIDI input on the BlueARP track to your controller, or just add MIDI notes to this track. (All notes entered on this track will trigger the BlueARP, and any MIDI notes generated by BlueARP will route to "Synth of choice".)

6. Enable "Input Echo" on both tracks. (Not required on the BlueARP track if you are just playing back MIDI notes from that track, in which case only the "Synth of choice" needs "Input Echo" enabled.)

Then play your controller for a real-time arp, or start playback on the Cakewalk transport to use the MIDI notes you have entered.

5 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I’ll have to go try this out. Are there other arps that are really good? Not trying to hijack. 

BlueARP is a good one! The only other arpeggiator plugin I'm aware of that seems to be worth trying is Kirnu Cream. There is a free Cream CM version available in the Computer Music synth archives. However Cream doesn't appear to be actively developed anymore, but BlueARP is free and is still actively developed.

Of course, there are also various MIDI step sequencer plugins available (i.e. Stepic, Audiomodern Riffer, HY-RPE2, etc.), https://integraudio.com/13-best-sequencer-vst-plugins/ but that is another topic entirely!!! ;)

• Thanks 1