hhal9000

Using BlueARP in Cakewalk

Has anyone had experience using BlueARP in Cakewalk? I'm pretty new to Cakewalk and haven't been able to find a clear Tutorial on how to set it up.Any help would be much appreciated.

I have not looked at it in a long time, but I am pretty sure it still works.

Here is an overview of how to setup plug-ins that generate MIDI data.

BlueARP will follow the synth plug-in setup.

It just so happens that I got this and was playing with it yesterday and this is what I figured out:

First, you need two MIDI tracks. Then you insert Blue Arp and then whatever synthesizer you want to drive with it. Ensure that MIDI out is enabled on Blue Arp.

The first MIDI track is the one you play on. Route it to Blue Arp. On the second, route the input in from Blue Arp and the output to your synthesizer.

I hope my explanation is clear enough.

• Like 1

So this is what I have at the moment if I am understanding you: 2 midi tracks and 2 instrument tracks.Is this part at least correct?Sorry but my understanding of all the inputs and outputs is rather basic.

2075373485_TracksinCakewalk.jpg.c86ef38e2ebb0f8b7e486eea177b2659.jpg

Not quite. The input on track 2 needs to be set to Blue Arp and the output needs to be sent to Vital.

Ok Thanks. For the Input on Track 2 Under BlueArp which Midi track should I choose? I have the option of Midi Omni or Midi channels 1 to 16.

666432389_TracksinCakewalk02.jpg.e693af9d3d5753afa411182b5ad8a2d1.jpg

The routing is not as complex as what the images above show.

It takes two instrument tracks: one for BlueArp and one for Vital. Additional MIDI tracks are not necessary.

Input on the Vital track must be set to BlueArp. It is not clear from the images below but the input on the Vital track is set to BlueArp 1 - Omni.

To play both interactively is no different than playing Vital alone, that is input echo must be enabled. In this case both tracks must have input echo enabled, BlueArp needs input echo enabled to send data to Vital and Vital needs input echo enabled for the BlueArp data to be heard. IOW, to monitor the result of data streaming into a track from its input, input echo must be enabled.

lOJL3Ka.png

When playing back data recorded on the BlueArp track, input echo is not necessary on the BlueArp track because it is playing data from clips in its track, but input echo is required for Vital because Vital is playing the data received on its input.

ICxVbBz.png

Now that you have a completely worked example, review the post I linked above about how to route MIDI data between synths and FXs. It may help reinforce this concept.

• Like 1

What I've found is that it seems to only work if you have input echo enabled on both tracks.  Additionally, you have to pay attention that input echo is enabled on only those tracks and no others or the results can be quite unpredictable.

To monitor any plug-in that has no data in its tracks must have input echo enabled.

Input echo is not necessary when tracks have data because the data is driving the plug-in.

Input echo may be enabled on as many tracks as necessary, but it is important make sure the appropriate inputs are set for all tracks. That said, keeping input echo to a minimum is a good idea. It is very easy to have unwanted data coming into a track with a bad input setting.

I have found that program changes do not work in the VST3 version. VST2 works better.