Suddent problem loading samples in instruments after 2021.12 Cakewalk update

cldmrqs

Hi all. Hopefully someone will be able to shine in for this problem I have after last Cakewalk update 2021.12.

Some instruments in a project closed in late December with the previous version of Cakewalk will not load samples or remember patches for specific instruments like Trilian, VSL, Iris 2, Eat West strings and Sforzando.

I tried to open backups, but it doesn't help. Something is broken apparently.

No changes on these instruments or system. Just update to Cakewalk. Is this a potential  bug perhaps ? I don't know for sure.

I will try to roll back to the previous version of Cakewalk, but if anyone can comment on other solutions, please let me know.

Thanks

Claude

Edit : not Cakewalk. Something else in a single session. I tested other sessions and they are ok with 2021.11 or 2021.12.

Edited by cldmrqs
More testing

• 2 weeks later...

This is unrelated to the original post and unlikely to be a CW bug, critical or otherwise.  Whatever has gone awry is specific to your system.

First,  re-scan your plugins and see if any are still missing afterward. If that doesn't fix your problem, make sure the scan paths are still correct. Those pathnames are stored in the registry under HKCU, which may have changed if you've logged into Windows under a different user name than you normally use, have re-installed Windows, or have reorganized your file system (e.g. moved the Cakewalk tree to another drive).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I've checked:
No VST is missing, all paths are correct, no windows session, no windows version update, no windows pw, no registry changes...

The only difference is that CW replaces VST instruments by midi tracks, immediately after the product update.
Moremover, troubles had appeared during the same working session, when I've closed, opened and updated CW.

Just like Claude, I cannot use CW anymore.
May be it's not a bug, nor critical, but as a Software Architect, I'm rather dubious with this explanation.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:21 PM, msmcleod said:

Just tried saving a project with Sforzando + loaded samples  - no problems here when re-loading it.

I tried both with the plugin UI showing and hidden.

Hi msmcleod,

Is there any log system provided with CW to find what's wrong with my working environment ?

1 hour ago, pfromanywhere said:

Hi msmcleod,

Is there any log system provided with CW to find what's wrong with my working environment ?

Not in a standard release build.  It's doubtful it would give much info in any case, as things such as loading samples is handled completely by the plugin.

All Cakewalk does is ask the plugin for its current state and save it with the project. When the project loads, it passes that state back to the plugin.

Its worth noting that the samples themselves aren't stored in the Cakewalk project.  Normally plugins only hold the file path to the samples its using.

I started getting crashes after upgrading to 2021.12 with just one instance of Kontakt 5 loaded with 7 instruments inside.  Which is a very small amount of samples compared to what I usually load.  I backed up one version and it's working fine now.  I have never had crashing issues with Cakewalk since version 1 for Windows. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Did not see the replies until today. Thanks for comments. Finally got the session to work. I had to revert to a previous session auto save without too much stuff missing. Maybe the current session was corrupted somehow.