BandLab Questions/Experiences

Starise

I understand that, and is quite normal the two platform to be different, but I am sure that online revision is a MIDI + Sounds. I am sure that a basic minimal MIDI export can be set without big efforts, at least for 16 tracks. 

In 6 minutes we can build 2 songs, afterwards to win Eurovision with one of them :). In order to do this, I uploaded 20 minutes life performance to study it online...  My workflow stooped here. If an basic import export MIDI will be available, let's say we can live spiting the song in 4. On another hand this limitation will be solved in time, I am sure. What I don't understand really is this: what professional workflow can anybody follow on the online platform? I am new here, maybe that's why I perceive the online version more as a toy, because once you are there, your song is lost forever in term of really producing it. Of course, the collaborative work idea is great.

@msmcleod  I fell off the wagon on this. I guess I need to climb back on again. I realize prog rock can go on and on and on and on........ even so, most of the prog rock I've done has been less that 6 minutes. Might have taken me 5 days or more to play/mix it though. 

@florinko I think the workflow needs to be somehow agreed on before the Bandlab stems happen. In my thinking this is a rough draft to determine a more serious direction probably through Dropbox , Google drive of similar.  I don't see me making a serious for distribution recording through BL. Not really a toy either. For me maybe more of an intermediate step unless the idea is to play with a few dudes for fun. A great ideas platform....but yeah, I would let CbB do the serious hitting. Use Bandlab for ideas. I might change my mind on that in the future. This is how it looks to me.

11 hours ago, florinko said:

I understand that, and is quite normal the two platform to be different, but I am sure that online revision is a MIDI + Sounds. I am sure that a basic minimal MIDI export can be set without big efforts, at least for 16 tracks. 

I looked at it again - it appears that Bandlab (assistant) only exports audio, not MIDI;

However if you open Bandlab Editor then you can export a region as MIDI (see https://help.bandlab.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019607454-How-do-I-export-my-MIDI-files-)

Hopefully if Noel or Meng are reading this they could comment on whether there are plans to integrate import/export of MIDI 'stems' together with the audio stems?

To me, the value of Bandlab is in collaboration.  If I wanted to work on a project on my own whilst 'on the go' I would use my own laptop with my familiar tools (Cakewalk), or, I would use Bandlab (mobile phone app) to make a rough outline, but work on it properly in my home.

Wei Liang

PS: best of luck I hope you write a winning song for Eurovision or any other competition 😊

• Like 1

@msmcleod I don't really do prog Rock, though I have done a bit here or there in collab and such, but I think the 6 minute limit is silly.  Soundtracks and even songs like Bohemian Rhapsody are over 6 minutes.  In fact I just checked and one if the pop like tunes I have on my site (Roger Taylor's my country) is over 6 minutes and not progressive Rick, just Rick with a few sections.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, yapweiliang said:

Hopefully if Noel or Meng are reading this they could comment on whether there are plans to integrate import/export of MIDI 'stems' together with the audio stems?

Yes there are plans for MIDI. Taking raw MIDI across is relatively easy but clearly preserving any sonic compatibility if the MIDI is triggering synths is problematic since BandLab has built in instruments and in CbB you could be running any number of VST instruments.

• 1 year later...

Directshow error [0x80040256] cannot play back the file. The format is not supported on cakewalk.

My CbB windows 7 keeps on saying this when I try importing projects from my bandlab, And it doesn't play. Someone please help.

On 17 de mayo de 2019 at 1:21 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Yes there are plans for MIDI. Taking raw MIDI across is relatively easy but clearly preserving any sonic compatibility if the MIDI is triggering synths is problematic since BandLab has built in instruments and in CbB you could be running any number of VST instruments.

Ableton Live Clips save all the instruments and FX chain, and can be even previewed from the browser without loading them first. They are practically track templates with included data. 

1 hour ago, YJ said:

Directshow error [0x80040256] cannot play back the file. The format is not supported on cakewalk.

My CbB windows 7 keeps on saying this when I try importing projects from my bandlab, And it doesn't play. Someone please help.

Check the size of the audio files. Often this error is the result of trying to import zero length files.

On 5/17/2019 at 12:21 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

I would think that making MIDI in Bandlab and in Cakewalk sound compatible (or not) would be up to the user. Actually, since it's MIDI I think it *should* be left as is and let the user decide how it's interpreted afterwards, but I appreciate any efforts in making it more "user friendly". Especially for the entry users.

• 1 year later...