How control different Instrument VST with different midi key

midris_syafii

Question

I learnt how to use Sitala and outputting to different track for better mixing. I wonder if there's a way similar to that but with synthesizer made drum (like vital). So, I would have different drum sound made with vital. But as mapping the drum pattern individually isn't convenient, is there a way for a midi to trigger different instrument vst. Say C4 trigger Vital(kick), D4 trigger Vital(snare), etc.

Alternative to this that I think of is to sample the sound I've already made with Vital to Sitala and use it that way. But, it would be hard to experiment with the synth. Or is there other method I'm not aware?

p.s. Now as I'm writing this, I feel like a customizable drum synth must already exist somewhere. So, if there's any good recommendation (especially free because I'm still learning stuff) it would be great.

1 answer to this question

Vital has a single stereo out but it is possible to drive multiple synths from a single MIDI track with a drum map.

In fact, each note in a drum map may be routed to a different synth, so a single drum map could drive 128 different synths. 

Of course, there is no need to have all the MIDI data on a single track, each instance of Vital could just as well have its own MIDI or instrument track, one for each instrument in the drum kit and use the piano roll view all the notes for all the instruments in a single "track."

A free take on a KORG Mini Pops-7 Rhythm Machine is available from full bucket music. It is called BucketPops. It is multi-output and has a lot of control over the sound of each of the 15 instruments. The sounds may be triggered by the rhythms in the plug-in or by MIDI or any combination.

Most drum synths are sample based.  Another free drum synth is Poise. It offers a little more control over the samples and pads than Sitala.